Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tenchie

Ec (background hard water)

Hello guys,

Struggling to understand this and hope someone can give me a heads up here: Ec Background of 0.8 out the tap with a ph of 7.7 out the tap so using Growers Ark hard water version coco nutrients.

So after mixing up grow a and grow b at 3ml per litre and 2ml Extra traces at 2ml per litre my bluelabs flashing at 1.4. So i`m deducting the 0.8 background from this meaning my final Ec is 0.8 of base nutrients.

So if I`m aiming for an Ec of 1.4 final this would read 2.2 on my bluelab and I take away the 0.8 background leaving me wih my desired Ec of 1.4,is this correct or am I getting this completely wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Tenchie.

I think if .8 and it now 1.4 that's a .6 increase not the .8 mentioned  , I may be wrong ..My tap comes out at .7 and I used to feed at a TOTAL of 1.6 including the background EC , it's a good idea to do less feed if unsure and see how the plants react , especially if using a new nutrient line ...:oldtoker:

6 people like this

I have EC0.4 from the tap and im needing a total EC1.4 so I add enough nutrients ie 1.0EC to reach EC1.4. So add background to what you want as final EC.

Toke...

3 people like this

I include half of the background ec and then, as @Arthur Mix says, let the plants tell me if they are being under fed. Problem is, who knows what makes up that background ec - aside from calcium, it could be anything. That said, I am in fairly soft water, so it hasn't caused me the same issues others have with harder water...

Edited by Slugums
3 people like this

16 minutes ago, Arthur Mix said:

I think if .8 and it now 1.4 that's a .6 increase not the .8 mentioned  , I may be wrong ..My tap comes out at .7 and I used to feed at a TOTAL of 1.6 including the background EC , it's a good idea to do less feed if unsure and see how the plants react , especially if using a new nutrient line ...:oldtoker:

Sorry bud my mistake the 3ml per litre is flashing at 1.6 ec not the 1.4 I typed. Yes new line of nutrients so just getting to know them,I know they are hungry (pale) so will be upping them to 3.5ml maybe 4ml next feed and keeping an eye on fresh growth,any tip burn I will reduce it back a notch.The bluelab might be a mixing stick from now on.

Cheers

Tenchie.

3 people like this

23 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

I have EC0.4 from the tap and im needing a total EC1.4 so I add enough nutrients ie 1.0EC to reach EC1.4. So add background to what you want as final EC.

Toke...

Cheers Toke  :yep:

I`m on it...

Tenchie

22 minutes ago, Slugums said:

I include half of the background ec and then, as @Arthur Mix says, let the plants tell me if they are being under fed. Problem is, who knows what makes up that background ec - aside from calcium, it could be anything. That said, I am in fairly soft water, so it hasn't caused me the same issues others have with harder water...

Hello Bud

All abit scientific for me this coco game haha Like my mate said its like a giant crossword for stoners. God knows what else but I`m sure my calcium content is 125/mg per litre,whatever that means? lol

I can read plants to a certain degree,Im 99% sure their Ec needs increased so will do that next watering/feed. Its this bloody bluelab flashing at 1.6 on 3ml per litre thats thrown me I think,but if taking 0.8 away from that its 0.8 and that for a coco grow with clones at 3 weeks old aint cutting it,so will get more food in there.

Cheers bud.

Tenchie.

1 person likes this

I phoned Growers ark direct and was told that even with my high Background EC, that it should be included in the total. My water EC is 0.7......

So if i want an EC of 1.4, I add .7 of nutes.

Not used their nutes yet, but i was told this on the phone.

Give that a bash, worst case scenario is that they show signs of needing more feed, in which case you up the feed.

Edited by Alan Johnson
3 people like this

Here`s a couple of pics took today at light out.Ignore the bottom left plant thats in mud,the rest are clones.

large.SAM_4975.JPGlarge.SAM_4972.JPG

Edited by Tenchie

Looks like a bit underfed , easy to sort just go up a point or so next few waterings, that's what I tend to do.. Obv keep an eye on the newest growth ,have a feeling you know that lol ..:oldtoker:

3 people like this

My backgrounds 0.5 EC , When i add the recommended 5ml per ltr of either grow or the  bloom mine comes to 1.4 EC,  so if your background is 0.8 would it not make sense to start at 1.7 ?

Was happy I'm not under feeding on last grow, would the next  logical step be to slowly keep dropping the 5ml per ltr to say 4.5ML per ltr ,as we want the minimal amount of nutrients but without out under feeding ? and go from there sort of thing ?

I'm in soil/coco mix atm but planning to try pure Coco with GA nutrients myself soon.

(i would say stop using the ET and give a full dose of Grow, If those were mine as looks like a magnesium issue and the magnesium would be in your grow, bloom , ET doesn't contain cal/mag.)

2 people like this

I use these coco nutrients and have very similar background EC and PH readings that you mentioned from your tap water, but that means nothing.

I just mix my base nutrients / traces / root stim and then measure the EC with the truncheon and note the total reading of everything and go with that.

I think in Growing phase I aim for 1.4 - 1.6 EC total, (including background)

and in Bloom phase I aim for 1.6 - 1.8 EC total, (including background)

I use a recirculating system - flood and pain, so they get regular feeds. 

I think hand watering / run to waste set ups you could increase the feed strengths a bit higher.

Thats only my opinion and could be a load of horse shit and I always read my truncheon like this :stoned:.

Cheers scoops :cheers:

Edited by twoscoops
Grammar
3 people like this