Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

AKPOG

Chronic Pain, Opiates & Cannabis

Hi fellow UK420ers,

I'm not sure this is the best place to post, but I need advice from like minded chronic pain sufferers who have been on long term opiates for pain management.

I have been on strong opiates & a Pregabalin cocktail prescribed by the NHS for my chronic lumbar spine/disc/nerve pain & up until ~18mths ago I was taking over 500mg/day of Oxycodone & 600mg Pregabalin. Off my own back & with no support from the NHS I have managed to reduce my Oxycodone to currently 140mg/day with 350mg Pregabalin. Cannabis has helped me in reducing my opiates I'm sure of it.

But, I've hit a plateau, where the pain is excruciating every 5mg drop now & I'm taking longer to stabilize & get used to not having so much pain relief. My last drop was awful, as it coincided with a period of major anxiety/depression which went on for a couple of months.

My problem, which I'm hoping someone can help me decide, is that now the NHS have taken a keen interest in me reducing my Oxycodone & want me to reduce via an opiate reduction Dr, who has told me he thinks I should go onto Buprenorphine (Subutex), with the theory that longer acting stronger opiates are easier to titrate the doses & come off it than it would be for Oxycodone? I'm not totally convinced though to be honest, as it doesn't make logical sense to me?.

My fear is that it's now a drug dependence Dr, who has zero experience with pain management, or my pain, may force me in a direction that causes me more pain & have less options to deal with the pain! Once I take that step to Buprenorphine they won't allow me to go back to Oxycodone I'm sure of it. Currently if my pain is really bad I can take some of my oxynorm breakthrough liquid. Whereas if im on Buprenorphine there is no breakthrough & I wouldn't be able to take any opiates because Subutex has opiate antagonizers & blocks other opiates. 

Have any of you successfully reduced opiates in this way? Can it be done whilst continuing to work full time? Or do you think I'll be better with the devil I know & carry on reducing my opiates on my own at my own speed?

By the way, not that i think it makes much difference, but I can categorically hand on heart say I've NEVER used any type of opiates for a buzz, I've only ever responsibly used prescribed opiates for pain relief. I was started on Tramadol about 20 years ago & migrated through a range of opiates to now oxycodone, which ive been on for over 10years now at very high doses, and it still seems to be a reasonable pain killer for my back pain. 

I know I've ranted on a bit, but I hope you get where I'm coming from & even give me some tips on reducing opiates & managing the pain myself?

Thanks & happy toking :bong:

well i have a damaged spine  and nerve damage mate ... been  trying allsorts ... latest for the past 4 years is tramadol ..... 500mg  2  taken  4 times a day .... had back operations ( that allmost paralised me )  ... pain day and night  ..  they  were even injecting painkilling  gump into my spine  ... to no avail .....

.. but i can honestly say  that since i started to smoke a little  weed ( when i can get any )  it has definatly helped ease the pain a little and helped me get  a bit better sleep too ......better than any of that chemical shite theyve been pumping into me all these years .... 

1 person likes this

On 04/02/2019 at 11:12 PM, vortex said:

well i have a damaged spine  and nerve damage mate ... been  trying allsorts ... latest for the past 4 years is tramadol ..... 500mg  2  taken  4 times a day .... had back operations ( that allmost paralised me )  ... pain day and night  ..  they  were even injecting painkilling  gump into my spine  ... to no avail .....

.. but i can honestly say  that since i started to smoke a little  weed ( when i can get any )  it has definatly helped ease the pain a little and helped me get  a bit better sleep too ......better than any of that chemical shite theyve been pumping into me all these years .... 

if you can get a supply going you could ease off your opioids too mate

in legal/decrim states they've seen 50% reductions and more

when i broke my back i could use less pharma drugs when constantly high

2 people like this

sorry @AKPOG i missed out your first post :stoned:

be careful reducing your intake of drugs because at certain levels they become completely none effective 

as i said i reduced my pain management with weed/hash but wasn't on them as long as you 

can you get oil to see if you can take it up a notch 

sorry for not being very helpful.. 

1 person likes this

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.

I currently have plenty of good grade top drawer cannabis & I'm currently experimenting with BHO again (after my first very poor attempts at it 12 or so years ago in a plastic tube :fart:).

I now have a few grammes of varied strain BHO & I've made some good strong ejuice from some too. But i cant seem to crack the edible dose in brownies. Any guidance on grammes of BHO to 'x' volume of coconut oil for caps & brownies? 

Although edibles are out of the question for work hours :chains:

I've gone as far as I can reducing my Oxycodone without horrible pain repercussions, cannabis has most certainly helped on my journey so far, but I've hit a plateau. 

My question, as vague as I was I  my first post was to see if anyone else had been on a similar journey & got off the opiate pain management using even stronger opiates? Particularly Subutex (Buprenorphine)

Because that is what the NHS is offering me, and I don't think I'm all that comfortable with it to be honest & I was hoping for some life experiences perhaps?

Thanks again :yinyang:

i  was in the docs today had to  get more painkillers  so i booked in to see the doc ....  told  her that  the tramadol  were not doing much to help  and that  i saw that cbd   was now legal to  help chronic pain .....

her reply was ......

" ohhh i dont know  anything about that, and im not getting involved in that side of  things "    fukin says it all  really ahhh ?

2 people like this

On 2/6/2019 at 5:22 PM, AKPOG said:

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.

I currently have plenty of good grade top drawer cannabis & I'm currently experimenting with BHO again (after my first very poor attempts at it 12 or so years ago in a plastic tube :fart:).

I now have a few grammes of varied strain BHO & I've made some good strong ejuice from some too. But i cant seem to crack the edible dose in brownies. Any guidance on grammes of BHO to 'x' volume of coconut oil for caps & brownies? 

Although edibles are out of the question for work hours :chains:

I've gone as far as I can reducing my Oxycodone without horrible pain repercussions, cannabis has most certainly helped on my journey so far, but I've hit a plateau. 

My question, as vague as I was I  my first post was to see if anyone else had been on a similar journey & got off the opiate pain management using even stronger opiates? Particularly Subutex (Buprenorphine)

Because that is what the NHS is offering me, and I don't think I'm all that comfortable with it to be honest & I was hoping for some life experiences perhaps?

Thanks again :yinyang:

Edited to add- oh crap I didn't see you were using BHO- I have no idea about dosing for that. My suggestion of 0.3g is for normal weed! :doh:

Edited by greensprout
1 person likes this

I have hernia on my lumbar disc and on codeine but not the best after few days gets me depressed.

RSO and CBD oil combine work for me at the moment,had problems to get to higher doses above-which actually work for me (17st) 0.5g without that CBD element

actually just opened a 3 pack of Dinafem CBD plus

1 person likes this