Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JumbaJumba

Stardawg Coco beginner grow help needed!

17 posts in this topic

I’m getting my hand into growing my own, not happy with the crappy deals I’ve been getting.

Looking for help and guidance please!

My setup is a 1.2 x 2.4 x 2 tent running 3x 600w hps lights, 8” extraction kit.

8 Stardawg from cuts in 16l pots using coco and perlite( I’ve read its great for helping the girls breathe?). Using H&G A&B, multizyme and toot excel for veg. I will be handfeeding.

Is it possible to put the cuts straight into the 16l pots? Or would I benefit from transplanting them from smaller pots first, please bare with me it’s my first.

I would also like to know how long should I veg for? I was planning on 4 weeks and trying my hand in topping and supercropping? With another 4 weeks flower and 2 weeks flush.

Any recommendations on a better veg/flower times?

Would I benefit from having the 2x 600 w to begin with then put the 3rd on for flower? 

Any help is is greatly appreciated thank you in advance!!

@JumbaJumba welcome to the community pal...:haveadab:

setup is fine although 3 x 600s could kick up temp issues early on for the girls, ...if you in coco i personaly wouldnt go over 10l pots max in that space myself as coco can grow some pretty hefty plants in a slittle as 6.5l.

as for veg and flower times id play it by eye but 4 week veg and 9-10 flower for the dawg should suffice.

atb m8

weedouk420:bong:

2 people like this

Agree, although id use 11 litre pots. If you want to keep costs down builders buckets are 14 litres and can be had from between 80p to 1 pound. Just drill holes in bottom.

Wouldn't add any perlite personally. I grow straight canna pro coco just dont press the coco down with any real force when potting up. 

As said temps may become an issue but its a nice setup. Id say scour ebay etc for a used 10 inch box fan, ive never paid more than 100 even for my biggest one, and use the 8 inch as in intake. 

Regardless, adding an intake fan will help a lot with temps too. 

As for lights run them all from the start. More light the merrier (once they established) and itll also give you a good few weeks to see how the room runs and sort out any potential heat issues before flower time :)

2 people like this

42 minutes ago, weedouk420 said:

@JumbaJumba welcome to the community pal...:haveadab:

setup is fine although 3 x 600s could kick up temp issues early on for the girls, ...if you in coco i personaly wouldnt go over 10l pots max in that space myself as coco can grow some pretty hefty plants in a slittle as 6.5l.

as for veg and flower times id play it by eye but 4 week veg and 9-10 flower for the dawg should suffice.

atb m8

weedouk420:bong:

I thought temp might be an issue, definitely looking to to getting an intake and maybe a passive intake too? The temp outside of the tent will be cold this time of year reflecting the outside temperature so I was thinking a passive intake would help cool things down? Thanks for the advice dude

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, Pecunia Arbor said:

Agree, although id use 11 litre pots. If you want to keep costs down builders buckets are 14 litres and can be had from between 80p to 1 pound. Just drill holes in bottom.

Wouldn't add any perlite personally. I grow straight canna pro coco just dont press the coco down with any real force when potting up. 

As said temps may become an issue but its a nice setup. Id say scour ebay etc for a used 10 inch box fan, ive never paid more than 100 even for my biggest one, and use the 8 inch as in intake. 

Regardless, adding an intake fan will help a lot with temps too. 

As for lights run them all from the start. More light the merrier (once they established) and itll also give you a good few weeks to see how the room runs and sort out any potential heat issues before flower time :)

Cheers dude thanks for the info! I’ll leave the perlite then one less thing to pay for haha and I’ll have look on eBay now for one! 

Interesting about the pot sizes. I've used 9x16litre pots in my 1.2x1.2, was thinking of going 22l for my next but with only 4 plants. Dropping down to 11l would save a fair amount in nutrients!

OP do you have any thing to keep the roots warm? 

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, seb88 said:

Interesting about the pot sizes. I've used 9x16litre pots in my 1.2x1.2, was thinking of going 22l for my next but with only 4 plants. Dropping down to 11l would save a fair amount in nutrients!

OP do you have any thing to keep the roots warm? 

What sort of yields did you get from the 9x16 if you don’t mind me asking?

No I haven’t planned on anything to keep the roots warm I’ve seen that you should keep them over 18°, have you got any suggestions?

1 hour ago, JumbaJumba said:

What sort of yields did you get from the 9x16 if you don’t mind me asking?

No I haven’t planned on anything to keep the roots warm I’ve seen that you should keep them over 18°, have you got any suggestions?

It's my first grow mate and they're not finished yet, still got about a week left but I'm hoping for a decent yield. I have a diary going if you're interested if you check my profile. I'll be going 4 plants next time to make watering and maintaining a bit easier.

I've just been using 2 3ft tube heaters in my tent but noticed my centre plant is still getting a bit cold so have bought an electric blanket to try next time round.

My air is coming in from a warm house too so just something to bear in mind if your bringing cold air in :yep:

1 person likes this

Pre heating the air is best, but a combination of heaters and blankets etc are good.  Just watch out for lights on any heaters regards 12/12.

60oz is achievable with 8x16s under 1800w, i set a friend up and he did that 1st time, but using 17lts though (edit to add 8 blues from seed).  Use nets for support and training a totally horizontal canopy.

Edited by Budelaire
3 people like this

looking forward to this one, similar set up. Good luck!

1 person likes this

Id put the cuts in 1.5 litre pots root them out then go into 11 litre finals once they've fully rooted the 1.5 litres.Probably looking at 2 weeks to fully root the 1.5 litres then once they hit the 11 litres they will fly.

Probably looking at another 2 to 3 weeks to fully root the 11litres .Getting the pots fully rooted in coco is key imo.Once youve achieved that alls good.

Youll find its easier to root the 11s than bigger imo going from 1.5 ml.Ive never gone above 11litre pots in coco and achieved 12.5 oz a pot in 11s,watering daily.

Go easy on the watering in the new pots only water when pots are lightish but maintaining a damp medium(every other day for the first few days).Get 20%run off every feed and never let the pots sit in the run off.

Edited by icki
3 people like this

Some good advice here like. 

Agree with maintaining moist pots, definitely necessary in coco. I use 11l pots. Make sure the floor is water tight and sit each pot on its own small drip tray but flip the tray upside down. That way the run off flows out on to the floor and the pots arnt sat in it. 

I use a wet vac to remove the water when needed. Although the water on the floor can help maintain some humidity in the room if its otherwise low.

2 people like this

1m2 trays pots raised then your golden to leave the run off to raise humidity.As long as the pots never sit in the run off..No circulating fans running either you dont need them till you flip(12/12) at the earliest.They will decrease the humidity imo.And all the bullshit they make the plants stronger is just that bollocks imo.

Good luck with ya dogs ive some f2 seeds  from JJ to run sometime.

Edited by icki
1 person likes this

This as 8 x 21ltr hempy buckets, 3 x 600w magnetics and just a 6" extract at present (they've been a little cold).

I like the hempy buckets as they allow 3 days grace if need be with coco, but usually get fed every other. 

large.5c4c263013ca8_1-_MG_6957.jpg

7 people like this

23 hours ago, JumbaJumba said:

I was planning on 4 weeks and trying my hand in topping and supercropping? With another 4 weeks flower and 2 weeks flush.

I think you may have misinterpreted the growth period - the time starts from when you flip to 12/12, not from start of veg.  You veg period is as long as it needs to be to get you a decent rootball established with enough green matter to fill out a canopy once the initial stretch period has passed.  This is generally about week3 of flower, ish.  Generally more plants for shorter veg, or vice versa.

Also, what bulbs do you have?  If you have HPS bulbs for flower, get some metal halide for veg.  They are the correct spectrum so will give your plants more usable light for veg growth, and they run a lot cooler.  Plus you can use them in your regular fittings, you just swap over when you flip.

3 people like this