Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaZe

Trying to control EC and having issues.

I reposted this here because I guess my last post was in the wrong section and maybe didn't get seen by many :(

Hey there guys! 

So we are coming up on the end of our 3rd week of flower in a NFT system and it appears I have overfed the plants as the EC is constantly rising :( There is only really TINY signs of nute burn on the points of some of the leaves but the EC is rising heavily.

This is my first ever go in a hydro system and as such my first time I have started to use and deal with EC. They still appear to be getting through quite a lot of water and I have been dropping the EC through the last couple of days until I hope to see it start to rise again. When the lights go on I have some water ready to dilute it even more down and maybe just let them have plain water for the next 2 days until tank change. Does this seem like a good idea? This water hasn't sat for 24 hours yet though so it probably hasn't got rid of the chlorine yet :/  At the mo the EC is reading 160 with a background of 78 and is still ticking up overtime.. 

I am very aware that 3-5 week is kinda critical with amount of food given/not given to give bountiful harvests and I am starting to worry I could of hurt my plants :( They still look lovely and green (for a day they were looking a lil to green) and are putting on lots of buds but as this is the 1st time I have grown hydro or this strain, Gorilla Glue, I am not sure what is good or not. 

One of my main problems is understanding the EC with our background. It is usually between 76 and 87, from what I have read is people ignore the background when calculating EC but for that to stand for me the level of food I have to be giving them would seem to be insane? 

Any pointers/tips/suggestions would be amazing. Will fixing their feedings be possible? If anyone thinks I could of really hurt my ladies could they also let me know.

PH is sitting around the 5.7 and ticking up over a day or two to 6/6.1

EDIT: 2 Days later Ec has been dropped down to 120 or so with a background of 76 - it continues to rise, way way more slowly but still but not also the PH is ticking up a lil faster. Still no real sign of burn on the leaves just some very light burn at some of the tips.

Tomorrow is water change so do I just give them ph'd water and let them empty out a couple of days? Or just give them something like 1ml per ltr just so they have a lil something if they need? Tomorrow will be the start of their 4th week of flower so I really don't want to get this wrong and I am very inexperienced and prone to worry about the ladies. If people would like pictures I can take some, just a lil paranoid about taking and hosting pics  :) 

I am very worried about my girls as I would hate for them to go wrong at such a stage and I am hoping there isn't being unseen damage done to them that I won't be able to undo

35 minutes ago, DaZe said:

EC is reading 160 with a background of 78 and is still ticking up overtime.. 

EC with our background. It is usually between 76 and 87

120 or so with a background of 76 - it continues to rise

Hi, are you sure you're measuring EC as you appear to be missing a decimal point? :unsure:   1.6EC with a background EC of .7 or .8 would make a lot more sense. :) 

I'm assuming that your environment's spot on and the water temperature is stable at 20° +/-2° :)      

The general rule is if the EC is rising, your nutrient strength is too high so you need to lower the EC. 

If the EC is falling then you need to increase the nutrient strength. 

Ideally, you want to find the right balance and have a very slowly decreasing EC reading.   

If a 1.2EC solution  (120 by your numbers) is still rising then you're still running the solution a little bit too strong.

No need to starve them by giving them pH'd water, just mix up tomorrow's solution a little weaker than 1.2EC. 

I'd try 1.1EC or 110 by your numbers.   

Once you get the numbers dialled in for your particular strain it becomes a whole lot easier. :)  

Hope this helps. 

Edited to add - Don't let your water stand, it carries much more dissolved oxygen when it's fresh out the tap and I've never seen chlorine damage from using fresh tap water.

Fill the res, mix your nutes to the correct EC then use it straight away. :)   

Edited by Saddam
3 people like this

@Saddam Just thinking about CBD seems to chill you right out:yep:

@Saddam Ty very much for the reply dude :) Yeah sorry about the lack of a decimal :/ The numbers would be 1.60 with a background of 0.76 - sorry for the bad information. Temps are stable running 24-28c that's about as stable temp as I have ever had and the rez never gets above 20c or below 18. There is decent airflow in the tent with active intake and to exterior outflow. Could I have slowed their development by much because of this overfeeding or you think they might take a week or so to recover?  Like I say there is next to 0 sign of burn on them they are just full of feed I guess. 

Ty again for your reply helped soothe my nerves a bit. Also regarding the water I thought I should always let the water stand for 24 hours to let the chlorine dissipate and to allow the ph balance to stabilise? 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, DaZe said:

Could I have slowed their development by much because of this overfeeding

They'll be fine mate. :)  You should give yourself a pat on the back for going into hydro AFTER doing the necessary research. :D  

Use water straight from the tap, dissolved oxygen is your friend.    

3 people like this

:D Yeah I knew about how you should scale depending on the EC I was just concerned at how long it was taking to adjust back to feeding wondering if I had broke them or something :P Most of what I had read had people fixing a rising ec really quickly and it's taken me the best part of the week to slow it down. I do tend to get over worried sometimes though.

Also I don't know if it matters but the water I have standing has an air stone in it at all times that should keep the o2 lvls decent right?

1 person likes this