Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

badbillybob

knife making.

45 posts in this topic

I just renovated and re-handled an old henckels blade using new acrylic scales from english-handmade-knives for my Mrs to keep her off my knives. Top tip from the process is that micro mesh pads up to 12000 grit get the acrylic so smooth!

1 person likes this

I find Sheffield is good steel.  I have fashioned many mackerel filleters from butter knives.  A good Sheffield cutlery set will give a lot to work with.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Captain Bonglington said:

Aye, I'm interested too, I wouldn't mind a go at making a knife. :)

I think @vortex makes a knife or two....

hi there ,  yep ive made many many knives ,,, from little neck knives  to survival knives up to machettes ......

best  idea if your starting out is tot pop along to the local car boot sales and get loads of old rusty files  ... usually cost pennies as no one wants them .... grind them to shape and heat treat them ... theyre good high carbon steel and will hold a good edge too ..quench them in oil .. NEVER water tho mate ...

. heres  a tiny selection  of last years  blades ...

large.5c4e494d24490_fileknife640x480.jpglarge.5c4e493787f4a_couplemoreknives640x480.jpglarge.5c4e492d627bd_knife640x480.jpglarge.5c4e4925e1e9e_twoblades640x480.jpg

9 people like this

heres a couple more mate .... i used the deer antler cut into pieces and added cocobola wood to  the handle too  .. turned out ok too ..... large.5c4e4da0edaf9_finiahedpolishedhandle640x480.jpglarge.5c4e4d864faec_oldbitofantler640x480.jpglarge.5c4e4d7e71229_newknife640x480.jpg

11 people like this

lovely work @vortex mate. That first one, especially.... very nice.

1 person likes this

they look great Vortex man, lovely work.

can I ask where you get your supplies from? steel and scales, pins etc?

my big lump of 1075 arrived today, so I better get the belt sander built. 

I treated myself today, to a new Tig welder, its a 200 amp ac/dc with HF start and pulse, all for under 400 quid. What a bargain.

Its Chinese obviously, but ive spoken to a few folk I know who have them, and have been using them for years with no complaints, so that'll do me.

it'll be here at end of week.  im getting excited.

This should cover everything I will ever need to weld, ever. I also need a drill press but the new stuff is shite compared to proper old tooling, so im a bit stuck.

Im heading out to salvage some pulley wheels from my cheap stone grinder, to be used for my belt grinder build.

I still need to but some steel to make it so don't expect this to be finished any time soon. Luckily my mate works in a engineering shop so im gonna square him up for some freebie offcuts, I hope. 

2 people like this

21 hours ago, badbillybob said:

cooll, hopefully Vortex will pitch up with some advice. 

im getting into a bit of research on mig welders and box section steel today, and making a materials list after watching about 20 youtoob vids on making a belt grinder. I reckon 50 x 50 by 4mm wall thickness box section, 10mm plate, and maybe use skateboard wheels (30 quid for 4) instead of  alloy pulleys (30 quid each) will help jkeep costs down. I also need to sort a motor out and see if the 3 phase can run off a socket with an inverter, but know cack all about electrickery.  Ive tried to understand it but if im not interested in something its just blah blah blah.  to me. 

I need to pick the brains of an electrical genius. 

I'll be back. 

You need to @Davey Jones for leccy advice mate.  He's the man.

Or @botanics maybe.. @monkeypig is clued up too but he's reluctant to give advice to amateurs iirc..

Good luck

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

he's reluctant to give advice to amateurs iirc..

It's not being mean, it's just that some electrical jobs need to be done by someone who knows what they're doing for safety reasons. I don't like to encourage people to  undertake works in their home that are dangerous due to the person undertakings lack of competence.

It's also very different advising through the internet as opposed to in person where you are able to actually see the condition of the existing installation.

Edited by monkeypig
2 people like this

1 hour ago, monkeypig said:

It's not being mean, it's just that some electrical jobs need to be done by someone who knows what they're doing for safety reasons. I don't like to encourage people to  undertake works in their home that are dangerous due to the person undertakings lack of competence.

It's also very different advising through the internet as opposed to in person where you are able to actually see the condition of the existing installation.

I know dude. I respect your reasoning. 

I @'d you incase it was a straight forward thing and you could advise guilt free.. but felt it fair to warn the op you might not chip in..

Apologies if it sounded like a dig, it wasn't meant that way man

1 person likes this

don't sweat it, I got an answer anyway.

it was simple yes/no answer.nothing complicated or vague.

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this

8 hours ago, badbillybob said:

they look great Vortex man, lovely work.

can I ask where you get your supplies from? steel and scales, pins etc?

hi mate ... the steel i use is mostly car bootsale files ,...  tho i have also used old lawnmower blades,  big circular saw blades  etc too ... the scales i either get from a local woodshop  as they save any offcuts of  cherrywood,  walnut etc for me for free .... but you can get some good deals on ebay if you keep your eye out ...

scales can also be made from a variety or strange stuff too  such as   strips of denim soaked in  fiberglass resin  then pressed ....   ive used melted pressed plastic, deer antler. etc  and i even tried  the husk of a corncob impregnated with  resin and hardner too ....

Edited by vortex
3 people like this

well, here we go, ive actually started, whoopie.

im gonna use 3mm brass rod for pins and have ordered some babinga wood for the scales/ handles. 

I only went for the Babinga because it sounds funky, and it looks purple, oh and its cheap, like me. 

ive not filed the bevel yet, it could take a while. 

I did a bit of file work on the spine, and it turned out ok. ..................well,...………………... I think its ok.large.1.jpg

large.2.jpg

more to follow, when I get the bits

7 people like this

^ it will kiiilll nice @badbillybob

1 person likes this

That looks ace, nice work :) I hope it’s got a tracker lol 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

nice looking blade there badbillybob ..... babinga wood  is a good choice too .....  i LOVE  the looks of either olivewood   or ironwood too....  the filework is  lovely too mate  ... great stuff

Edited by vortex
1 person likes this