Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

themindbomb

sourcing organic amendments in the UK

41 posts in this topic

What do you guys add as a pH buffer or do you even need one? I've heard CaCO3 is OK but I'd imagine it's composition would vary greatly with each batch. 

Interested in what you lot are writing, I like the idea of just leaving the plants to do their thing in the dirt provided to them. So far I've been toying with tea made from EWC, great white and molasses. 

Excuse me if I'm writing nonsense. 

@TheGreenShabeenReturns calcium carbonate and dolomite lime are fine, it's what I use.

Both come in a fine powder generally like dust

1 person likes this

Sweet, good to know. 

@blackpoolbouncer not to open up a can of worms but the peat thing, read up a little about it years ago and came to the conclusion that sphagnum moss peat was/is fairly renewable?

be interested to hear your thoughts?

and at £15 for 200ltrs.....:bag:

What do you guys use the peat for? 

24 minutes ago, buddy13 said:

@blackpoolbouncer not to open up a can of worms but the peat thing, read up a little about it years ago and came to the conclusion that sphagnum moss peat was/is fairly renewable?

be interested to hear your thoughts?

and at £15 for 200ltrs.....:bag:

Sphagnum moss is sustainable, peat isnt. 

Takes a long time to turn sphagnum moss into peat. 

When you look at the sheer loss of peat bogs in the uk it's not a good thing, and with them being an under threat biodiverse ecosystem that has all bit been wiped out in the UK I'd rather not contribute even if the peat hasn't come from sssi's 

Sourcing it from Canada is a sustainable alternative but I don't want my eco friendly compost to have to travel half way round the world to get to my pot.

That's my take on it anyway mate 

2 people like this

Plus if we were to start digging up peat across the Isle of Ireland jesus the historical events enquiries would explode! 

15 hours ago, B0bbyBuds said:

What do you guys use the peat for?

i use it 50/50 with ewc for potting up cuttings/clones and seedlings and I use/d around 1/3 for my initial living soil mix...

14 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Takes a long time to turn sphagnum moss into peat.

yep but is there much difference for our uses? 

sounds like I've been peat free for years then:cowboy:

Would collection of some deep wood land soil help, great starting point.

Should sell well on the bay!!!

Edited by marcjuna
1 person likes this

No till is the only way mate. 

Ive gone over to super coco/no till its working nicely.

Takes a bit of time to source the stuff and let sit for a few weeks but its much better than peat imo.

Digging up the earth disturbs soil bacteria and releases co2 into the air.

Don't you find that the coco breaks down after a couple of runs and dumps a load of K into soil?I ran an organic coco based soil for a few years but always ran in to issues with excess K after 2 runs so went back to peat.