Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

themindbomb

sourcing organic amendments in the UK

41 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm new here and learning.  I've heard a lot about building your own soil and seen a lot of recipies. One of the problems is sourcing such things cost effectively in the UK.  Any advice would be helpful, thanks

I think it's only cost effective if you're making a lot of soil.  If you're only planning one or two plants, you can buy some living soil/supersoil.  Thery're quite pricey but they're ready to use.  I know 'indoororganics.co.uk' sell kits for making your own soil, even sell the ingredients separately, might be worth a look.

Failing that, most of what you need can be sourced at Homebase/B & Q and your local hydro shop (beware the prices).

2 people like this

I started when there was naff all available from organic soils suppliers. I used evilbay and amazon mostly. Some stuff I had imported. Now most things can be bought either through amazon/ebay (dried kelp, neem powder/meal, insect frass, crab meal, peat moss, worm castings, humic acid, biochar, malted barley, rock dust etc etc etc). Does require messing about a bit but works out generally a lot cheaper and you have enough to make up amendments or teas as you go. A ready made soil doesn't give you that option. I think there are now a couple of suppliers that stock a pretty decent range like indoororganics but I've got into a habit of suppliers for it all now, plus have enough to last forever!

3 people like this

chase organics....

elixir gardens?

5 people like this

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention organic in this post.  I haven't seen much in the way of organic at B&Q and there are no hydro shops in the area I live.  I have been buying through the two evils but it seems very expensive and spotty. Thanks buddy13, I will check out chase organics and elixir gardens. 

1 person likes this

egg shells for calcium, Epson salts for magnesium, stinging nettles for trace elements fish mixes will do whatever else the plant needs, mycorrhizal friendly fungi for root zones

2 people like this

40 minutes ago, hash72 said:

egg shells for calcium, Epson salts for magnesium, stinging nettles for trace elements fish mixes will do whatever else the plant needs, mycorrhizal friendly fungi for root zones

That sounds amazing hash72, do you have a recipy for this?  How much of each/gal or ltr.  When you say fish mix, do you mean fish bits?  Do you bokashi them first? 

On 27/03/2016 at 2:24 PM, muffintop said:

As more and more of us seem to be taking up this style of growing, I thought it would be a good idea to create this thread as a place to share ideas on what is working for them.

Credit to Road Runner who made me get up off my arse and try it.

His diary can be found here: http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=366186

4 people like this

Have a read should give you the info you need

cheers

Edited by spondy
Try to do two post
2 people like this

Where do you guys source organic hay/straw? Need a mulch layer as my clover didn’t really sprout as still working on temp issues. Don’t want anything sprayed with pesticides/fungicides

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, B0bbyBuds said:

Where do you guys source organic hay/straw? Need a mulch layer as my clover didn’t really sprout as still working on temp issues. Don’t want anything sprayed with pesticides/fungicides

Pet shops do it, organic meadow hay and straw.

ETA a whole bale of it from a farm/equine supplies/farm shop is only about 3 or 4 quid, but that is a lot of hay/straw. I sometimes get one but my kids have Guinea pigs. 

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
3 people like this

On 23/01/2019 at 11:48 PM, Kipper420 said:

I didn't even know there was such a thing as organic straw.

prompted a google search. Intresting.

https://thegrownetwork.com/hidden-dangers-straw-bale-gardening/

its best to buy straw for horsey, horsey folk dont like killing horsey.

2 people like this

obvious but it took me a while to think of it.....fishmongers for crab shells, eat the crab, use the shells:thumsup:

1 person likes this

You can get crab shells from the beach, sea weed and other fishy stuff

Organic=free

Edited by marcjuna
4 people like this