Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Joel222

Recommend a compost

23 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been done before, can someone recommend a compost. I’m going to pot up tomorrow then flip in a week or so. Does it make that much difference which compost I use and do I just use compost or feed? Can someone please recommend a good balance/mix

Million choices depends on budget too you after canna specific or your garden centre verity?  :oldtoker:

Just now, ineedofusername said:

Million choices depends on budget too you after canna specific or your garden centre verity?  :oldtoker:

Open to suggestions, I’m all ears

Are you already in compost or some other medium?

if so which compost are you using?

Guess it's a grow room at this time of year.

I’ve just bought myself a bag of Jacks Magic, it’s been well-received on here and it’s nice and fluffy with a little sand.

Erin is another good one, so is Vitax

2 people like this

jacks magic and levingtons with added john innes been the best retail composts ive used in the last couple of years .easy to get a hold of ,vitax is yer allotment growers fave round here .

2 people like this

12 minutes ago, ratdog said:

I’ve just bought myself a bag of Jacks Magic, it’s been well-received on here and it’s nice and fluffy with a little sand.

Erin is another good one, so is Vitax

Jacks magic is good but not fluffy can compact easy with over watering (unless they changed something)

Most multi purpose composts work great so see what around local :)

Biobizz All Mix, Plagron Batmix - Use both of these regularly.  

Biobizz Fishmix & Biobizz Bloom - Use these with the soil and hey presto.  

Quick, cheap and cheerful :)

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, ineedofusername said:

Jacks magic is good but not fluffy can compact easy with over watering (unless they changed something)

Most multi purpose composts work great so see what around local :)

Fluffy in the sense it isn't compact in the bag like most composts ime, they usually need a good beating before you can use them.

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, ratdog said:

Fluffy in the sense it isn't compact in the bag like most composts ime, they usually need a good beating before you can use them.

Yeah always good to fluff up any compost I like to add a bit of perlite to jacks and it is magic shame my local garden centre closed and the other near me stopped stocking:magic:

1 person likes this

Just now, ineedofusername said:

Yeah always good to fluff up any compost I like to add a bit of perlite to jacks and it is magic shame my local garden centre closed and the other near me stopped stocking:magic:

I'll probably add something to this lot for the next pot up, maybe some coco but not sure yet, compacting seems to be a current issue.

stick an old coco root ball in ..i like to add any that ive just chopped to the next lot so the myco on the roots dont go to waste 

4 people like this

Just now, vince noir rock n roll star said:

stick an old coco root ball in ..i like to add any that ive just chopped to the next lot so the myco on the roots dont go to waste 

I don`t have any coco or perlite or anything here atm, will go to my local grow shop and get something in the week.

1 person likes this

You can use supersoil if you don't want to mess around with nutrients.:unsure:

1 person likes this

I usually use all mix but it's a little hot. I almost always get minor nute burn off it in late veg. You don't need to feed anything untill a few weeks into flower tbh. 

I'm tempted to use light mix next time and use more nutes to compensate (without getting yellow leaf tips) 

1 person likes this