Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

potato1356

Alien Hydroponics - the worst hydro company in the UK.

16 posts in this topic

Hello all - 

Just thought I'd put this here as a warning to all small scale growers - avoid alien hydroponics like the plague. 

Their systems are ridiculously priced, and I confirm conclusively that they DO NOT OUT PERFORM EVEN A STANDARD BUBBLER - RIP OFF CITY! 

The diffusers make no difference over airstones, the manifolds are retarded - 4 inch pipework is just fucking stupid. 

I luckily had the chance to try out a friend's 6 pot system after he got pythium in it 3 times - no pythium for me (obviously sterilised before use....), but nowhere near the performance advertised....

I had the 1 metre spacing for the 6 pot, and enquired how much it would be for new pipework to space the pots almost touching - £470.00 they quoted me!!!!:wanker::wanker::wanker:

So that's 470 quid for -

14 x 4" bulkheads

4 x 4" corner pieces

and about 1.5m of 4 inch pipe 

ARE YOU FUCKING JOKING ALIEN HYDROPONICS?!?!?!?!!!!!?????

This is more than a complete, fairly large size autopot system - no justification. 

Anyone else used these and have an opinion? 

Peace oooooot X

8 people like this

Have a look around it's doubtful they use bespoke parts for this as the cost would be ridiculous to set up to manufacture...reckon you save sourcing parts yourself..

2 people like this

Funnily enough, the last time I had a good proper laugh was when I came across one of their systems. 

Surely you've got a be an alien to buy any of their systems at those prices. For people with more money than sense.

3 people like this

it fills the gap in the market for the type of person who has cash and wants to play at growing weed that paired with a bluelab auto multi nutrient doser with a light and a fan and you can title it up as 

"a super mega auto dosing undercurrent recirculating deep water culture pro system" and someone will spunk 4k on it lol then choose barneys big bud seeds and call themselves a hydroponic engineer after 2 grows etc 

with growing being a male dominated area thats why i think the big 4" pipes are on it as most think bigger is better

really what sized pump would you need to utilise the full flow output from 4" holes when my full street is fed from a 6" main lol 

bright green bits look cool ect think aftermarket car mods type that spend fortunes on fiestas making them glow

underneath or kind of like designer clothes 10x the price but not 10x quality ect thats who i imagine buys alien products 

but i am tight and if money was no issue then i would buy a ready made system but wouldnt want to pay far over the odds for what is essentially plastic dustbins and toilet waste pipe glued together maybe 150 over what i could build it for ?

Edited by doobie01
7 people like this

horses for courses tho surely.  While those in the know / able to build might see this as a total rip, if what they sell works they aren't necessarily a terrible company, but rather just charging a premium for their products.

Judging a company solely by your own budget limitations would, to me at least, seem a little subjective.  you are still free to chose to purchase anywhere else, as is anyone.

jus 2c worth :)

2 people like this

I used to have one of their xl pro systems and it worked fine, so I dunno what you're moaning about.

if, like you say they don't out perform a bubbler, why were u looking for new pipework for it? don't make sense

if you think their stuff is too dear - don't buy it. 

they are expensive, but I bought mine for about 1/3rd of the retail, which softened the blow. I only bought it because a) it was cheap, and b)I needed it right away.

the system worked well for me before the pigs stole it. I never had Pythium or any other problems with it.

I build all my own systems these days, because my own systems are as good or better, and making my own is much cheaper.

I wont be buying any more alien stuff personally, and I would never have bought it at full retail, but their systems work fine.

a mate also uses the xl pro rdwc with zero problems and a couple of flood and drain systems with no issues. his timer fried on the flood system, but that was user error, so you can hardly blame alien for that.

if you think the cost for new pipework is expensive, try pricing up 4 inch bulkeads and fittings, they aint cheap,  and I agree, they don't need to be that big in the first place. which is why I use 40mm ones.

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this

I've not bought an alien setup, I built my own for a fraction of the price mate! All in about £100 and that's with inline pump and air pump.. Yep!! A rip off.. 

I'm a novice at growing, so spent more money than I should have as I don't have a fucking clue!!

Any advice on nutrients, temps  etc would be gratefully received..

Cheers...

On 1/16/2019 at 11:33 PM, badbillybob said:

I used to have one of their xl pro systems and it worked fine, so I dunno what you're moaning about.

if, like you say they don't out perform a bubbler, why were u looking for new pipework for it? don't make sense

if you think their stuff is too dear - don't buy it. 

they are expensive, but I bought mine for about 1/3rd of the retail, which softened the blow. I only bought it because a) it was cheap, and b)I needed it right away.

the system worked well for me before the pigs stole it. I never had Pythium or any other problems with it.

I build all my own systems these days, because my own systems are as good or better, and making my own is much cheaper.

I wont be buying any more alien stuff personally, and I would never have bought it at full retail, but their systems work fine.

a mate also uses the xl pro rdwc with zero problems and a couple of flood and drain systems with no issues. his timer fried on the flood system, but that was user error, so you can hardly blame alien for that.

if you think the cost for new pipework is expensive, try pricing up 4 inch bulkeads and fittings, they aint cheap,  and I agree, they don't need to be that big in the first place. which is why I use 40mm ones.

Read the top post again..... I didn't buy it - I am warning other members that this system is TERRIBLE considering how much it costs - I've built better for £100 or less. 

You say don't moan - the whole point of this thread is to highlight a major issue in the hydroponics industry which is - robbing people blind for shit products. 

You agree you won't buy more of it, and agree home made is better, so what is your point? 

I have a problem with alien hydro as they sell an over specced piece of shit and whack a fucking retarded margin on top - PURE GREED. 

Doobie01 nailed it - 

with growing being a male dominated area thats why i think the big 4" pipes are on it as most think bigger is better

really what sized pump would you need to utilise the full flow output from 4" holes when my full street is fed from a 6" main lol 

4" pipework is just an attempt to force you to buy any parts you need from them, while providing a USELESS amount of deadspace in the form of the massive pipes with slow flow rate - just more space for water to heat up as it travels around the system - fucking poor design. 

I can run a 300L chiller on a 500L system that I build myself and the water easily maintains 19ºC - in the alien it averaged 21ºC and I only had 200-250L in there. fucking rubbish. 

50mm pipework + koi supplies bulkheads + boxes from hardware store + air pump = far superior. 

I challenge Alien hydroponics to hire an impartial tester to run a home made system versus one of theirs - it'd be fucking hilarious. 

1 person likes this

On 1/17/2019 at 1:10 AM, Warren cox said:

I've not bought an alien setup, I built my own for a fraction of the price mate! All in about £100 and that's with inline pump and air pump.. Yep!! A rip off.. 

I'm a novice at growing, so spent more money than I should have as I don't have a fucking clue!!

Any advice on nutrients, temps  etc would be gratefully received..

Cheers...

nutrients - chelated only in DWC - aptus are great, as are green air products. 
temps - water not above 21, not below 18. room temps 25-27, 20-22 at night
Ph - set it at 5.5, let it rise to 6.2, then reset. 
EC - be conservative - 1.0 or below to start, then increase slowly based on strain. 

any other advice just ask dude :)

1 person likes this

I made mine out of the IWS parts bin, cost me very little. Four pots, some fittings (Regular and IWS specific) and gaskets, some tube, pump. 

I couldnt justify the high priced ready made systems.

Either or tho, long as it’s leakproof it’s down to the operator of the system on returns vs price etc

2 hours ago, potato1356 said:

Read the top post again..... I didn't buy it - I am warning other members that this system is TERRIBLE considering how much it costs - I've built better for £100 or less. 

You say don't moan - the whole point of this thread is to highlight a major issue in the hydroponics industry which is - robbing people blind for shit products. 

You agree you won't buy more of it, and agree home made is better, so what is your point? 

I have a problem with alien hydro as they sell an over specced piece of shit and whack a fucking retarded margin on top - PURE GREED. 

Doobie01 nailed it - 

really what sized pump would you need to utilise the full flow output from 4" holes when my full street is fed from a 6" main lol 

4" pipework is just an attempt to force you to buy any parts you need from them, while providing a USELESS amount of deadspace in the form of the massive pipes with slow flow rate - just more space for water to heat up as it travels around the system - fucking poor design. 

I can run a 300L chiller on a 500L system that I build myself and the water easily maintains 19ºC - in the alien it averaged 21ºC and I only had 200-250L in there. fucking rubbish. 

50mm pipework + koi supplies bulkheads + boxes from hardware store + air pump = far superior. 

I challenge Alien hydroponics to hire an impartial tester to run a home made system versus one of theirs - it'd be fucking hilarious. 

my point is that 

a)there is nothing actually "wrong" with the system, apart from the price, in your opinion. it works fine. the design fault you mention is subjective, the pipes being 4 inch. hes designed the pumps to pull the flow rates so the size of it is no consequence.

b) you are calling them out for being shit, yet you were looking to buy new pipework to space them out, then it sounds like you've gone off on one cos of the price of it. if they are that bad why were you wanting new pipework for it?

c) cost up the fittings and you will see that they aint cheap, or is he expected to work for nothing? your 50mm fittings wont fit in 4 inch holes, so its not like for like. 

d) if people are prepared to pay for overpriced systems, more fool them. You could pick pretty much any seller of hydroponic systems as being overpriced. a iws brain pot for 200 quid for example. its just a couple of float switches, a timer a few grommets and a relay, total cost- about 40 quid, so are they overpriced shit too?

where do u wanna stop?

1 person likes this

You guys that have built your own systems can you send me a parts list please?

sounds like apple 

2 people like this

On 1/20/2019 at 2:19 PM, badbillybob said:

my point is that 

a)there is nothing actually "wrong" with the system, apart from the price, in your opinion. it works fine. the design fault you mention is subjective, the pipes being 4 inch. hes designed the pumps to pull the flow rates so the size of it is no consequence.

b) you are calling them out for being shit, yet you were looking to buy new pipework to space them out, then it sounds like you've gone off on one cos of the price of it. if they are that bad why were you wanting new pipework for it?

c) cost up the fittings and you will see that they aint cheap, or is he expected to work for nothing? your 50mm fittings wont fit in 4 inch holes, so its not like for like. 

d) if people are prepared to pay for overpriced systems, more fool them. You could pick pretty much any seller of hydroponic systems as being overpriced. a iws brain pot for 200 quid for example. its just a couple of float switches, a timer a few grommets and a relay, total cost- about 40 quid, so are they overpriced shit too?

where do u wanna stop?

I partly agree with your points....

a) It claims to outperform bubblers - it doesn't. that's something wrong in my opinion? The pipe is a disastrous waste of plastic, which is killing our planet - also shit. 

b) I wanted the new piping spacing to try a new configuration floom system I've designed - their tote shapes are easiest for it but oh well now I'll just make my own set for £50 :D 

c) in terms of flow rate utilised by your pump - I'm afraid you're wrong. 2 inch is every bit as good as 4, and like for like in terms of flow rate. 

d) true, but IWS charge similar rates to most of the rest of the industry - alien however..... 

buuuuut, i also kind of agree with you too - quite confusing innit? lol

im not gonna drag the arse out of this because its getting a bit boring, but I will make an exception for point c),  im right, and i'll explain why. First up, I never mentioned the pipes flow rates, I did mention the pumps, big difference. I said "hes designed the pumps to pull the flow rates"

The pipes connecting the totes, they can be 1 inch, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10 inch whatever, it doesn't make a single bit of difference, because these pipes lead to the small return pipe, which leads to the pump, and the pump can only pump a set volume of water, cant it?

SO if the pump is rated at say 2000l/ minute, it wont pump more , even if it does have big fancy pipes leading up to it. its restricted by its input end diameter and the flow rating of the pump. You could have a 2 foot diameter pipe leading to a pump intake, its not gonna pump any more, just cos its coming from a bigger diameter pipe, is it?

Anyway, I think its fair to say that neither of us is gonna be buying one any time soon so i'll leave it at that.