Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

smallbeginings

electric board

Posted (edited)

i know its not lighting as such but need some electrical advice. i know nothing hate having to do electrics

my board is supplied from the back of a plug below, basically a spur, the cable goes into the back of a breaker, then onto 10 single sockets/switches and 3 double sockets, not all are used, so im thinking of reducing how many i have.

my question is what would cause a loss of voltage or current.

my grows of late have shown signs of not developing properly, it seems as if not enough light. im running a 400w hps osram sont off a maxibright 600w dimmable ballast, set a 400w.  light is a good 16" away from the top of the plants fan between them

having changed everything else from soil to seed this is pretty much the last resort to fix my issue, well 1 of them lol 

so any advice would really help

cheers

Edited by smallbeginings

How many plants ? 

Taking a socket out will change nothing its not a voltage problem you have. . I would suggest get 600w lamp if you think they are not getting enough light. 

2 people like this

What area is the 400 covering ?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Bartyfartblast said:

How many plants ? 

Taking a socket out will change nothing its not a voltage problem you have. . I would suggest get 600w lamp if you think they are not getting enough light. 

4 in a DR90!!

i was more thinking of a loose wire, or something, ive noticed when ive had a plug not fully pushed in the applicance dont work aswell. had a rvk fan that id knocked the plug on, noticed a few hours later and when i pushed the plug in fully the fan worked better. was wondering if something like this would affect the light. currently grabbing at straws as im unsure as to what the issues are. problems have arisen since the installation of the new board so was thinking that all is not right with it. tested all the sockets, with a plugin tester all was good

didnt think removing the sockets would help just they are unused 

Just now, Arthur Mix said:

What area is the 400 covering ?

90 x 90! 

are you using a 400w or a 600W LAMP  ?

59 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

are you using a 400w or a 600W LAMP  ?

400w osram son  t

do you have a spare 400w lamp to try ?

if you dont have a spare, I'd get a backup 400w sunmaster instead of the osram, maybe a different brand will work better.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

do you have a spare 400w lamp to try ?

if you dont have a spare, I'd get a backup 400w sunmaster instead of the osram, maybe a different brand will work better.

have tried power plant, lumen, phillips and some cheap no named 1s, nothing changes.

even changed the ballast to a magnet maxibright 1 just to see if it was the digital ballast

Edited by smallbeginings

missus has just read my OP and said you want to know if its getting 240v so what im asking is how do i check that im getting 240v at the ballast/lamp. 

or if i wasnt would i know, would there be obvious signs that the ballast/lamp arent working at full capacity, as im pretty sure the hps and cfl bulbs dont get as hot as they use to

Posted (edited)

On 1/6/2019 at 0:28 PM, smallbeginings said:

my question is what would cause a loss of voltage or current.

my grows of late have shown signs of not developing properly, it seems as if not enough light. im running a 400w hps osram sont off a maxibright 600w dimmable ballast, set a 400w.  light is a good 16" away from the top of the plants fan between them

so any advice would really help

cheers

Question 1: No idea sorry,

Question 2:http://www.uk420.com/growroomtools2.php - Just shy of 50w per sq foot ( dr90  3x3 ? )- I think thats about right could possibly bit do with a bit more for sat dom strains? .. if your intake/extraction is good enough you go bigger just watch out for light stress

Edited by wifi-user

On 1/6/2019 at 10:17 PM, smallbeginings said:

missus has just read my OP and said you want to know if its getting 240v so what im asking is how do i check that im getting 240v at the ballast/lamp. 

or if i wasnt would i know, would there be obvious signs that the ballast/lamp arent working at full capacity, as im pretty sure the hps and cfl bulbs dont get as hot as they use to

I'm an electrician bud. And if something is rated to work at 230v, it wouldn't turn on properly unless it had 230v. Especially the balast. I don't think from your explanation you've got an electrical fault. 

On 06/01/2019 at 0:28 PM, smallbeginings said:

my grows of late have shown signs of not developing properly, it seems as if not enough light.

light is a good 16" away from the top of the plants fan between them

move the lights closer dude no less than 12'' unless they is stressed out

sometime i can run my light (400/600w) a few inches away and all's ok, if your having to keep your light 16'' away theres something else wrong maybe.?