Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


Ne5

Help needed ASAP whole range of problems

48 posts in this topic

Hi guys as a lot of you may of seen Past couple of weeks I have been having problems with my rwdc 33litre 4 pot grow. The problems have now gone from bad to worse so I need some help ASAP please before they die as last post didn’t get any replies really. 

 

I did a drain drain and refill last week and all plants were looking really good ph was 5.8 ec was 1.5 before changing, I use Buddhas tree coca a&b, regeneroot, meta boost and green power. I put around 2/3 of the recommended amount in and it took the water ec from 0.4 to 1.3. Ph was 5.8. The water was a bit cold so I left an aquarium heater at 26 degrees overnight in the brainpot to help keep temperatures up a bit. Next morning I checked the pot and it had dropped about 10 litres, the ph had rose to 7.1 and ec was 1.6. I thought the aquarium heater was to blame so took it ASAP and put some ph down to 5.8 again. I topped the level up a bit and it adjusted ec to 1.4 so I thought I would leave. 2 days later and a lot of leaves were dropping and going yellow and some burnt at tips. So again I drained and filled the nutrients this time I put about 25% of the nutes in so ec went from 0.4 to 0.7 to flush the system a bit. 

3 days later and zero growth at all and leaves are drooping again and going pale so I have just topped up nutrients about 1/2 recommended amount. 

Sorry for life story but thought I would tell you’s EXACTLY what’s happened and changed these last week or two.

 

i am seriously thinking of sacking whole rwdc off and going coco even though I’ve just bought a 6 pot 33 litre for next door as well. 

 

2 600w hps omega dual spectrum bulbs, 4 for flower

 

hyper phresh 8” stealth fan & 8” mountain air filter

 

milar film throughout

 

4 x 33 litre rwdc system  

 

Light cycle 20/4

 

lights on temp 25

off temp 22

 

water temp 20 always

 

humidity 20% - is this a big factor?? I know it’s meant to be between 50-70 but I am struggling. I added a decent size humidifier but it made zero difference to humidity only went to 25%. 

 

Will a cold intake adjust humidity? I nearly have it set up it will be in tomorrow. 

 

large.A8C5F9ED-E276-459D-9CD9-AA4018AD4E68.jpeg

This is the room view

large.97386C43-293E-4072-B679-4C7F9174320A.jpeg

I had a spare cutting and one of the four pots was smaller so put this in to fill the scrog this plant is fine and has really picked up. 

large.8D631C77-FC44-4D1D-8BB0-E044B6DB529E.jpeg

This was the biggest plant I had but has had zero growth last few days 

large.7D3B81B0-4352-4867-A9B0-99363D540E08.jpeg

This was the runt plant but past week has went mad and grow about triple the size but overnight has stopped and dropping like mad

large.3BD8FE64-96B5-4C76-A5A8-EB29745FE2E3.jpeg

This is the same runt plant about 1/2 of the leaves have curled up are this colour, if you touch them are dry and crisp

large.03C79F7C-901E-42FC-8F07-2AF573803A7F.jpeg

This is one of the other plants showing nutrient from previous fill. 

large.6C8770E3-FFF1-45A0-99A9-2F8D3E8C79E2.jpeg

one of the plants as you can see a few of the leaves going yellow as well 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

large.47457FC9-9949-4173-A3A4-18079CD010E6.jpeg

All roots are looking really good loads of growth 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Just adding a comment to try and get your thread some traction mate.

 

Hope you find someone that can help you save the girls.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Just a random thought, but ya never know...have you checked your ph / ec meters?

 

Could the warm conditions in the root zone have attracted anything nasty?

 

Sorry can't offer more mate, hopefully one of our on board guru's will sweep down to the rescue soon.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

@Megumin thanks mate appreciate it. I did a couple of grows before with zero knowledge and got about 3ozs per plant each time in a small space with 1 hps light and had zero problems apart from overfeeding them all the time. This time round I would say I’m a lot more knowledgable but having too many problems  Rwdc isn’t easy to say the least :wallbash:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Strange how the humidity is so low, 

I had to get a dehumidifier in my setup, although its alot smaller (1.5 x 1.5m). I dont suppose you have the option to downgrade until there a little bigger? I know they prefer high humidity in the initial stages.

In my experience more extraction will equal less humidity, I upgraded my fan and now no longer need a dehumidifier (although its still in there for good measure).

Only thing i can think of is humidity or ppm/ph levels.

 

@badbillybob has some decent experience with hydro!

Hopefully someone can come along with more knowledge (first time growth myself so my advice isnt great!)

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, unity said:

Just a random thought, but ya never know...have you checked your ph / ec meters?

 

Could the warm conditions in the root zone have attracted anything nasty?

 

Sorry can't offer more mate, hopefully one of our on board guru's will sweep down to the rescue soon.

 

Yeah I really should double check the readings I might buy a couple of cheap ec/ph meters to double check. Reason I haven’t done this before I have bought essentials meters and only heard good things and were about £90 for the pair. 

 

Ill double check root zone tomorrow on all plants, to be honest and I should of mentioned this before the water seemed warmer than the 26 the heater was set at the other morning when the heater was in overnight. 

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Use a Metal halide not dual spectrum to control the stretch and shorten those nodal distances. (IMO)

 

Your EC is too high for veg !

 

Why are you using coco nutes ? I never put anything with 'bio' in a closed hydro circuit.

 

Take the tin foil off the top of the pots!

 

Your aquarium heater set to 26 is too high but the cold water you put in <15 celsius will have locked the roots out.

(at 26 the water holds a lot less oxygen)

 

When increasing EC after a 'lock out' flush increase it gently.....dont go from 0 to 60

 

It can take days to show damage and days to fix it.

 

I would cut the ugly shit off and get them girls trimmed up...they will soon bounce back.

 

If the EC is rising your plants are 'leaching'.......the EC is too high  

 

tbc ......I need to go out quick

Edited by zen-ken
5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Hi bud, I'm not surprised they are suffering with ph, ec and temps bouncing around all over the place...

 

When you are trying to solve a problem, change only one thing at a time otherwise it gets very confusing...

 

Here is how I operate my dwc...

 

Temperature - within one degree either side of 20C

EC - start at 1/4 strength moving up to full as the plant grows, no higher than 1.0 until harvest even if full strength as recommended on the bottle is not reached.

PH - set at 5.5 and allow to drift up to 6.2 before re-setting to 5.5...( I use sensi nutes so have no ph to adjust)

 

(if ec from the tap is high then the 1.0 figure should be adjusted upwards accordingly, my base is zero)

 

At 26C the dissolved oxygen in the nute solution is seriously depleted and this is almost certainly the root (intentional pun) of your problems bud.

 

Stabilise everything as per the figures above and things should improve, providing the roots are ok to begin with.

 

I would seriously consider moving over to sensi nutes, even if it's only until this problem is rectified, then ph is one less thing to worry about.

 

Good luck

 

atb

stu  :oldtoker:

 

ETA and what @zen-ken says...:yep:

Edited by stu914
5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Zepharock said:

Strange how the humidity is so low, 

I had to get a dehumidifier in my setup, although its alot smaller (1.5 x 1.5m). I dont suppose you have the option to downgrade until there a little bigger? I know they prefer high humidity in the initial stages.

In my experience more extraction will equal less humidity, I upgraded my fan and now no longer need a dehumidifier (although its still in there for good measure).

Only thing i can think of is humidity or ppm/ph levels.

 

@badbillybob has some decent experience with hydro!

Hopefully someone can come along with more knowledge (first time growth myself so my advice isnt great!)

 

No there is no way I can change rooms now everything is in place and I have spent a small fortune setting it up. I was hoping to have the second lot of cuttings potted by the weekend in the new 6 pot set up next door but I’m having second thoughts!!

I have acquired 6 nova og cuttings the 35.6% thc mother of all plants that is meant to be the strongest strain world. 

 

The hyper extraction set up I have has a controller but it is broken and set on full, it is getting changed tomorrow for a new one under warranty so I will turn it down to about 75% to try help the humidity a bit as well. 

 

Yeah ill try my mates meters and see if there is any difference but everything was looking really good last week so thinking it was something I have done. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

if you want to successfully run rdwc there are a few things you will need, in my opinion.

1 a chiller. your roots look cooked to me. give them a gentle tug and if they come away in your hand, or look brown or slimy they are fuct. start over as trying to rescue a plant with Pythium is generally a fruitless exercise.

2. lower ec feeds. 1.5 is way way too much. get yourself some base nutes from ionic, grow, bloom silicone and ph down is all you need.

3. decent ph and ec meter. bluelab stuff for example

if they were mine id start over with  a chiller. clean everything out with bleached water and rinse well first.

go with grow nutes at 0.6 ec and 5.8 ph, and take it from there.

no aquarium heater needed either, if the room is 25 degrees the water temp wont be much lower.

hope you get it sorted

 

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, zen-ken said:

Use a Metal halide not dual spectrum to control the stretch and shorten those nodal distances. (IMO)

 

Your EC is too high for veg !

 

Why are you using coco nutes ? I never put anything with 'bio' in a closed hydro circuit.

 

Take the tin foil off the top of the pots!

 

Your aquarium heater set to 26 is too high but the cold water you put in <15 celsius will have locked the roots out.

(at 26 the water holds a lot less oxygen)

 

When increasing EC after a 'lock out' flush increase it gently.....dont go from 0 to 60

 

It can take days to show damage and days to fix it.

 

I would cut the ugly shit off and get them girls trimmed up...they will soon bounce back.

 

If the EC is rising your plants are 'leaching'.......the EC is too high  

 

tbc ......I need to go out quick

 

Thanks I will look into this and probably purchase a couple of different bulbs for vegging now. 

 

I cant get my ec to 1.0 like recommended if I was to do this it would be literally 20% of what is recommended is that okay??

 

A mate using whole Buddhas range has done for years in hydro and has seen amazing results including the coco a&b so I don’t think this is too much a problem. 

 

Yep I have been told numerous times on here to take the foil off the lids but I’m scared of light leak. I will listen though I’ve took it off now.

 

thanks for your help mate appreciate your time. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Hi bud, I'm not surprised they are suffering with ph, ec and temps bouncing around all over the place...

 

When you are trying to solve a problem, change only one thing at a time otherwise it gets very confusing...

 

Here is how I operate my dwc...

 

Temperature - within one degree either side of 20C

EC - start at 1/4 strength moving up to full as the plant grows, no higher than 1.0 until harvest even if full strength as recommended on the bottle is not reached.

PH - set at 5.5 and allow to drift up to 6.2 before re-setting to 5.5...( I use sensi nutes so have no ph to adjust)

 

(if ec from the tap is high then the 1.0 figure should be adjusted upwards accordingly, my base is zero)

 

At 26C the dissolved oxygen in the nute solution is seriously depleted and this is almost certainly the root (intentional pun) of your problems bud.

 

Stabilise everything as per the figures above and things should improve, providing the roots are ok to begin with.

 

I would seriously consider moving over to sensi nutes, even if it's only until this problem is rectified, then ph is one less thing to worry about.

 

Good luck

 

atb

stu  :oldtoker:

 

 

Thanks for your help as always stu. Yeah judging by everyone’s answers I think I’ve really done some damage to the roots with the aquarium heater. They have went a lot browner than they were I’ll check in morning when lights are on how bad they are. 

 

Im really struggling with the right level of nutrients though doesn’t matter Where I put the ec the plants react badly in some way. 

 

Judging by the feeding chart I got with the feeds it says week 5-7 I should put zero nutes in so I tried keeping the ec down and they haven’t reacted well. 

 

 

I’ve put in half the recommended amount of feeds tonight I bet that has put ec to around 1.2 / 1.3 so I’ll drain a bit and get to 1.0 in the morning. 

Share this post


Link to post

large.IMG_0892.jpg

 

Hello bud. All advice above is spot on. Ec was too high. You don’t need to cover your net pots with foil. It’s the black bucket you need to cover with bubble foil insulation. It’s easy to get and cheap. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

if you want to successfully run rdwc there are a few things you will need, in my opinion.

1 a chiller. your roots look cooked to me. give them a gentle tug and if they come away in your hand, or look brown or slimy they are fuct. start over as trying to rescue a plant with Pythium is generally a fruitless exercise.

2. lower ec feeds. 1.5 is way way too much. get yourself some base nutes from ionic, grow, bloom silicone and ph down is all you need.

3. decent ph and ec meter. bluelab stuff for example

if they were mine id start over with  a chiller. clean everything out with bleached water and rinse well first.

go with grow nutes at 0.6 ec and 5.8 ph, and take it from there.

no aquarium heater needed either, if the room is 25 degrees the water temp wont be much lower.

hope you get it sorted

 

 

Yeah I think you may be right. Since the heater incident the roots have went a lot browner I will check them all tomorrow and if anyone roots are nacked I’ll start straight over with the nova og I have just acquired. It will put me back a month but I have a lot more knowledge than I did a month ago so hopefully go swimmingly next time. 

Do I really need a chiller in the winter? I was going to get one in the summer but the water isn’t getting hot at the minute the only reason the roots are like this is because of one certain tool :wallbash:

 

as mentioned @badbillybob I’m really struggling with ec and getting the nutrients right. To get ec at 1.0 I will literally have to put less than 20% of what’s recommenced I did this before and the plants started to go pale a bit. 

 

Thanks for for your help!!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now