Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Joel222

Ballast?

Are ballasts subject to wattage?

I’m on with a new set up, my first was a budget 600x600 tent kit off eBay designed for a mother plant. This did not come with a ballast. When I look at bigger wattage set ups they seem to have ballasts included. Is this because of the higher watts? Should my original set up which I plan to use for vedging have a ballast?

What kind of light it that came with the kit? Wondering if it's an enviro style light you had/have which have in built ballasts.

If you want to use HID lighting like MH/HPS you will need a ballast, same for the newer CMH lights but this uses a different ballast to the HPS/MH lights.

LED I don't have much knowledge on.

If the tent is a 60x60cm then I would suggest a 250w HPS setup with an extractor on a controller to slow it down. If you can't handle the heat of the 250 then a 150w would also do but a 250w is doable in that space with decent airflow and extraction.

3ph

The light is a 300w cfl, my new set up is slightly bigger tent (1200x600) so was going to use a 400w cfl.

1 hour ago, Joel222 said:

You do not need a balast for cfl lights, you can use the same reflector if the bulb fits and nothing else is needed. However if you are considering using such a big cfl i would personally advise looking at a led or a small hps for your grow. 

If you are looking to keep your temps down with minimum effort then i would suggest getting a 300w led which have both light spectrums and can be topped off with a couple of small cfl's or just used on its own. 

A small hps/hid will pump out a lot more heat and will require a ballast but you get really good results from them... Its just that heat! 

As you said you are only using for veg the led would be a good choice and be more efficient than a cfl, hps/hid will most likely cause a lot of stretching and the cfl can be a nightmare hanging over a plant as the light can not penetrate throughout the whole plant.. If you have to stick to cfl for veg make sure you get a blue 6500k with as many actual lumens as possible.. Not the equivalent. But no ballast needed for your current plan :).. Give me a shout if you need more help

Thanks @Slappysacky420.

My plans are to have 1 tent for vedging and 1 for flowering. I already have a 600x600 tent with 300w cfl light and an extractor fan with filter etc. I’m ordering a 1200x600 tent to flower in and will use the filter from the small tent so that just leaves the light. I’m open to any suggestions to what is best to use but would like to keep the cost sensible. The temperature of the room that contains the tent is around 17-18 degrees. If it was u what light would u use, could u send me a link please ?

@Joel222  mate, in all honesty, ditch the idea of using CFL lighting as its shite in comparison to using a T5 propagation light (24w x 2 lamps) for veg & either a 250w hps/315w CMH for flowering,

cfl's are also prone to breaking easily & the light output is also poor in comparison to the above different lights, sure you can complete a grow with cfl lighting but here's the kicker, whatever you yield

with growing with cfl's will be a good bit lower compared to what you would get with HPS or CMH, if its the initial outlay cost your worried about then get a T5 for vegging with & it'll last far longer than

a cfl lamp will,  I'd also go with a 250w HPS set up at the least for flowering with. here's a list of bits that I'd recommend you get to start you off on the right foot, you wont regret it honestly.

large.5c2e829638096_lightinglist.jpg 

Thanks @Joint hogger

Would a 250w hps be the right size to flower 4 plants in a 1200x600 tent?

Is that in mm ? What's the rooms roof height ?

I personally would go 2 x 250w if you can handle the heat. If not then 2 x 150w until you can handle the heat. Trying to spread one light across 1.2m won't be easy esp at 250w. 

IF you could get a reflector that would give a good spread across the whole tent then a 400w might be OK but I think you will lose too much at the edges.

A 1.2m x 60cm tent would love a dual 250w setup. Extract from the center if you can with passives on both sides.

That's if I'm understanding you correctly? This is a 1.2M wide by 60cm deep tent? Probably around 1.8m tall?

Posted (edited)

Yes that’s right, 1200mm wide x 600mm deep x 1800mm high

Edited by Joel222