Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jacket

Planning for my first big boys hydro grow

First post on this forum, so here goes!

I've done a fair few grows using compost and while the results have been good, I'm looking for a new challenge and something a bit more efficient that can churn out a bit more bud for the grow space with less electric cost.

I'm currently growing in soil a 1.2m tent with a pair of 400w HPS alongside a 0.75m tent with a 250w MH. I'm vegging 4 plants in the 0.75m tent until it's full in 18l pots, then moving the plants to the 1.2m tent to veg for another couple of weeks to fill out the space before flowering, turning around about 300-350g every 65 days. I then dry the bud in the 0.75m tent for a week before vegging four new plants in there. Works well but now I want to expand a bit and try something new...

What I want to do now is a SOG style grow using the WILMA clay pebbles system either using the XXL 16 or 20 plant system. Ideally I'd like to be able to keep my trusty 1.2m tent in use for vegging (BudBox pro so a really nice piece of kit) and then get a 2.4*1.2m or even a 3*1.5 if it can fill out for flowering. I could veg the plants for half a flowering cycle in the 1.2m square tent constantly so it could serve the 2.4*1.2m tent (with two WILMA XXL trays) with a full WILMA XXL tray of plants ready to flower every four weeks or a little less so get a nice 1.4m squared worth of bud every four weeks or less once it's up and running. Has anyone done this? Is there something that I'm missing here?

Ideally I'd like to go for the WILMA 16 pot XXL and do a trial run in my 1.2m tent before buying too much new gear just to get the hang of it.

So this is my plan can anyone give me a bit more guidance? I've got lots more to ask but don't want to end up writing an essay and would rather start a good old fashioned dialogue with the seasoned experts!

First time in coco?

I suggest you read, read some more then read a load more before you start.

I did just that so I knew or had generally good idea where to start with problem solving.

Unfortunately not coco. I had some really bad experiences with it robbing nitrogen and stunting growth when mixing with compost. Just stuck to my own compost and perlite after that.

I really have my heart set on clay pebbles. They're going to be a lot less forgiving but they seem like the best option for the job. Lots of oxygen to the roots, easily re-useable etc.

I've done my best to read through the hydro diaries on the forum and gone through the clay pebble diaries, so I think I'll be OK with that side of things. I'm just a little curious as to the differences between the 16 vs 20 pot WILMA configurations in terms of veg time, how much fiddling around the canopy training needs to be done, and what sort of space they can fill out in say half a flowering period.

6 hours ago, Jacket said:

Unfortunately not coco. I had some really bad experiences with it robbing nitrogen and stunting growth when mixing with compost. Just stuck to my own compost and perlite after that....

Sounds like whats happening here...

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, netbuddy said:

Yeah. There've been loads of positive things said about it, compared to soil, but I really haven't had much luck :thumbdown: . Are you doing clay pebbles right now? I've been reading some guides to clay pebbles so I think I'll just about manage if I watch it like a hawk first time round and keep asking questions of course.

10 hours ago, Jacket said:

Yeah. There've been loads of positive things said about it, compared to soil, but I really haven't had much luck :thumbdown: . Are you doing clay pebbles right now? I've been reading some guides to clay pebbles so I think I'll just about manage if I watch it like a hawk first time round and keep asking questions of course.

I am coco in perlite.

Today I have seen a big spurt in growth compared to yesterday.

There really is no telling with this plant as my friend is even of the same opinion that I have the fussy seed in the batch of 10 we got, hos 4 he started... great, I am jealous... 

28 minutes ago, netbuddy said:

I am coco in perlite.

Today I have seen a big spurt in growth compared to yesterday.

Are you chucking that away or re-using it?

12 hours ago, Jacket said:

Are you chucking that away or re-using it?

First time.

No one I know using it that have got it just right never reuse, they dispose of it.

Just now, netbuddy said:

First time.

No one I know using it that have got it just right never reuse, they dispose of it.

Why not use clay pebbles then? Never had a good experience with coco...

6 minutes ago, Jacket said:

Why not use clay pebbles then? Never had a good experience with coco...

I am considering it, as I am upgrading everything from a homemade kit to one that is specifically designed for that job, its going to take time to make the change.

I have had no issues in compost, however, indoors its a problem and mould is one issue as is smell of the compost that is very noticeable, introduces excess humidity and can retain much water.

I can say that looking longer term, I aim to go fully hydro non medium nased like some of the post systems which is where pebbles would come in handy.

Edited by netbuddy
PC on the fritz again.