Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phoenix

Nachroma kera NCK-T 150W 942 230V E40 IP

17 posts in this topic

Can my ballast drive this lamp.

I've had issues.  It strikes.  Soft start. Strobes up to max.  Turns of.

Same again.  Ballast will  re strike,  build up, get super bright, turn off.

Ten mins later it will.....

Ad infinitum.

Why?

Baĺlast is 150W mini max.

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Is that a new square wave bulb?  Like a single jacket chm?  Hence why my ballast can't drive it continually?  The mini max is a soft start intelligent ballast.  It can strike the bulb and drive it.  It just stops when it gets mega bright.

Don't know why.

I doubt there is a solution per say,  I'm just curious why this is happening.

1 person likes this

I looked into the possibility of the minimax driving a cmh and came to the conclusion it wouldn't work, probably need a specific ballast for cmh,

hell of a job trying to find any info on it though, in the end I palmed it off to some poor sod and went led...:wassnnme:

Hope you're well buddy...;)

1 person likes this

Apparently I'm on the wrong frequency.

I'm surprised the bloke in the leccy shop ordered me such a sexy lamp.   I just wanted a m/h bulb.  Meh.

I'll build a ballast for it.

2 people like this

I agree it don't work.  Yes it will strike and drive but eventually freak out.  I didn't want a cmh  bulb though,  just asked for a metal halide secuŕity lamp bulb.  What the leccy shop supplied me is a cmh lamp? It's no replacement for an old school security lamp.  Ho hum.

@Architect is this a symptom of a dodgy bulb?  Still can't figure this out!

Shed any light on this?

It's an odd one. Seems complicated. The UK grid works on 50hz (hertz) which means AC current travels back and forth 50 times per second. You will need to match the lamp to the Hz of the ballast which I will assume is 50hz. I can't imagine this being the issue tho. 

1 person likes this

Thanks @Architect I'll compare the two.

13 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Thanks @Architect I'll compare the two.

Now you can see why I got rid...:wassnnme:  (Not really...;)

I did look into it though as I fancied giving cmh a go, then dialaduck came along and the rest is history as they say...

I wonder if it's anything to do with 'soft start ballast' though if it fires up I doubt it, you can see I have zero expertise in this...:rofl:

I also had trouble getting a 150mh bulb, plenty of double ended ones out there but not the single...

I reckon a man of your capabilities will get something going, even if it's only lighting a candle....:rofl::rofl:

It's a funny one @stu914 I can't figure it out. I've tested it on two ballasts and it does exactly the same thing.  At least I've still got a fresh bulb running right now which is all I need.

;)

Im hoping to increase my grow this year from a heady 150w to 300w

:)

1 person likes this

I came to the conclusion that while it would do MH and HPS (I've done both, so it surely does) CMH needs a dedicated ballast and this one won't work.

Never actually tried it as I was more scared of blowing something up...:rofl:

If you're thinking of spending some cash upgrading,  I would recommend dialaduck's lights, they really do the job.

I'll have a larger space once we move and I certainly intend ordering some more from him then.

:oldtoker:

1 person likes this

The thing is I've been told that you can't get 150w cmh bulb with the e40 fitting.

Which means this bulb I've got most be a m/h bulb.  Apparently cmh lamps have an entirely different fitting.

I think the lamp may have come down damaged.  I'll bring it back to the shop.

At least I'm burning bright in the meantime.

@stu914

;)

1 person likes this