Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ne5

Leaves drooping and one plant stunted growth.

27 posts in this topic

Hi guys hope you all are well. Newbie here in need of some help ASAP that will be greatly appreciated. Here is my life story don’t know how much info to give so I’m giving pretty much all. 

I have grew a couple of times in the past on very small budget this time around I have invested well over a grand and want to get a big a yield as possible. 

I have 4 recirculating dwc 33litre pots. 

I have had all cuttings in a week

3 bubba island Kush cuttings that we’re about 150mm high before moving into pots. 

1 blueberry og cutting that was very small but rooted about 70mm before moving. 

2 600w hps omega dual specdrum bulbs about 300mm above plants. 

5m2 room with milar film all around. 

8 inch phresh hyper silent fan and 8 inch mountain air filter (awesome bit of kit)

water temp is around 20*

ec is 1.5 (it was at 1.0 but was told to up it with leaves being light coloured)

ph 6.3

First problem is leaves are drooping on all 4 plants,  I was told by an expert to keep them above the pots they’re currently about 1inch above, will I drop them to 1 inch below? The roots are flurishing on all 4 and dropped well into water. 

the smaller blueberry og has barely grew at all and is very pale don’t know what to do with this?

how often am I meant to drain the water and refill with nutes?

Sorry I am struggling to put any pics to this site on a mobile is it possible on an iPhone XS Max?

thanks in advance. 

Been told how to upload pics in middle of doing so. 

large.F3BCC9B5-5036-4240-B1EF-EC4AF289CDCB.jpeglarge.D0B66C25-A796-41FA-A861-316AB6B81C0A.jpeglarge.AF9E7BE9-245C-450A-A5ED-C2ED5E348EE6.jpeglarge.87A0516C-E0A3-47B3-BD84-5ED26EA39931.jpeg

first and second pic are the roots of the 3rd and 4th pic plants. 

3rd image is the plant which hasn’t grown in a week at all even though the roots have and the 4th is the droopy plant but I think I know the answer to the problem I have the water too high about 1 inch above net pots?

Get rid of the foil, if its foil, and get the lights at least 2ft away

Owd

3 people like this

thanks for reply but why get rid of the foil? I’ve just put it on couple of days ago in case of light leak and I’ve been told to test how close the lights are to plants by placing palm underneath and if it’s too hot lift higher? 

1 hour ago, Ne5 said:

I was told by an expert to keep them above the pots they’re currently about 1inch above, will I drop them to 1 inch below? The roots are flurishing on all 4 and dropped well into water. 

The " expert " is an idiot but you've got the right idea, drop the nute level at least a couple of inches below the base of the pot.

This will allow the roots to take up oxygen which is as important as water and feed and the reason they are drooping,

basically they are overwatered and in danger of drowning, increase this space as the roots grow into the solution, mine is around 6" by the end of the grow.

You have too few roots because either they went into the system too early or having the nute level too high, probably a combination of both.

Whovever told you to up the nute strength to 1.5 is also an idiot, your leaves are pale because the roots were being drowned and not taking up nutes,

drop the strength back down below 1.0 and they should pick up, mine never goes above this figure for the whole grow.

Doing a mixed grow in a recirculating system can be very challenging and I wouldn't advise it, all strains have different growth requirements and finishing times.

Hope this helps bud

atb

stu  :oldtoker:

ETA as Owd says, lose the foil as it can create hot spots which can burn your plants...:yep:

Edited by stu914
2 people like this

@stu914 thanks for the detailed answer Stu I really appreciate your time. 

The “expert” has been doing this for 20 years but is giving me minimal details as he’s got a lot on his plate lately, he said put above net pot as the smaller cutting might not be getting any water but struggling to get in touch with him at the minute for more info after his last visit. 

I thoroughly believe you though there was another “expert” who’s been doing it for around the same time said up the nutes to 1.5 but never came around as too busy again. 

Im going to drain the system right back keep a couple of inches away from net pots and keep ec to 1.0. 

How often should I be draining the pots and refilling, every week? 

Does humidity matter a lot mine is sitting near 30% I have bought a humidifier as read it’s best 40-50%? Just a bit worried pumping water into the air with loads of electrical equipment near by. 

Will also take foil off. Thanks. 

1 person likes this

@stu914 thanks for the detailed answer Stu I really appreciate your time. 

The “expert” has been doing this for 20 years but is giving me minimal details as he’s got a lot on his plate lately, he said put above net pot as the smaller cutting might not be getting any water but struggling to get in touch with him at the minute for more info after his last visit. 

I thoroughly believe you though there was another “expert” who’s been doing it for around the same time said up the nutes to 1.5 but never came around as too busy again. 

Im going to drain the system right back keep a couple of inches away from net pots and keep ec to 1.0. 

How often should I be draining the pots and refilling, every week? 

Does humidity matter a lot mine is sitting near 30% I have bought a humidifier as read it’s best 40-50%? Just a bit worried pumping water into the air with loads of electrical equipment near by. 

Will also take foil off. Thanks. 

When plants are small I change res every couple of weeks but as they grow it goes down to every week.

Humidity will climb as the plants grow and by flowering you'll be struggling to keep it down, don't fret over it too much at this stage.

:oldtoker:

Edited by stu914
fecking spelling
1 person likes this

Thanks again @stu914 will not worry too much about humidity at this stage then. 

Lastly is there any sort of “bible” or guide to dwc grows on here? 

:smokin::smokin:

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Ne5 said:

:smokin::smokin:

lol one or two I think lol somewhere 

3 people like this

25 minutes ago, Ne5 said:

There's a pinned thread in the hydro section " brummie bubblers " should give you some pointers...:yep:

:oldtoker:

1 person likes this

Sorry site is new to me so still finding my way. :mellow:

15 hours ago, Ne5 said:

ec is 1.5 (it was at 1.0 but was told to up it with leaves being light coloured)

This would seem to me to be a big part of your issues.

One bit of advice is to not take too much advice. If you do take advice, stick to just one person.

More than one person advising you on your grow, especially people who are not looking at the plants with knowledge of what has happened to them recently and how they reacted to that, will give you conflicting advice and will mess up your grow even with the best intentions.

@Owderb is right about the foil, apart from only reflecting 75% of the light (white paint can do over 90%) it can focus the light and burn leaves. @stu914 is also right, if your EC is at least 1.0 and your leaves are pale then something in your environment is stopping your plants absorbing the nutrients. Fix that instead of just adding more nutrients. If your car is backfiring and putting out black smoke you don't just up the fuel flow and add a larger turbo, you fix the problem...

Keep posting images here, keep asking questions here, we will sort you out and soon you will be advising your expert friends ;)

4 people like this