Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

samokybacon

Pics of Yellowing of my lower leafs, 4th wk in flower! Help!

27 posts in this topic

Hi,,, please scroll on through,, all advice welcome! :smokin:

large.20181213_183650-min.jpglarge.20181213_183641-min.jpgHi all, newbie still making newbie error's!!

Ive been doing abit of reading up on this but yet to find a definitive answer and was hoping some of you on here might be able to help!

Im 4 weeks and 4 days from flipping my Original glue ladies in a Wilma, 600hps, running advanced neuts. Temps are good and so is humidity, EC is 1.5. Has been up at 1.6 but ive dropped it down as i found after they finished stretching the ec has been rising after 48hrs or so.

The bottoms of my ladies are going  very light green,, Nitrogen dif? or somthing more? Something dont look right!?!? A few of the lower leafs have just fallen off when brushed past, the steams seam brittle, and as you can see in the pic there is a massive diference in their colour. This has happend over the last 72hrs or so. 

Ive had some issues lately with some suspected root rot (last week or two) and so the ladies have been stressed recently with an initial "farmer grade tonic" treatment and full scrub down of the wilma with 12% paroxide and then a full strength treatment with silver bullet the following week.

I had been adding the BigBud Advanced neut additive as-well before but have dropped it as i think it was giving me to much calcium, i had some clear like snot in my res and read that this can be caused by hard water (which i have! + a high background ec of 0.3.) and or may have been connected to the rot!?!

So here we are, more pics below,, thoughts please??  Do i add some grow neuts in next top up to try and get some more nitrogen in the mix?

Thanks in advance...

The bolarge.20181213_183246-min.jpg

large.20181213_183359-min.jpg

large.20181213_183311-min.jpg

Edited by samokybacon
extra pics
1 person likes this

Very simply you took away their food by reducing the ec, at this time they need that feed and will drop bottom leaves if hungry or cold. They look good from the top but need a tad more feed to stay that way. 

2 people like this

@me n me girls thanks for the quick response. 

The last week ive found the neuts had slowly climbed up a couple of evenings, only by 0.1,, but i'd thought this to mean that i was over feeding? 

Temp wise i do i have quite a big swing between lights on and lights on/off of up to 8 degrees. Im takiing in from outside and its been abit chilly of late! Do you mean temps at root/res or air temp? Res is 18-20c.

I do have two oscillating fans running at a low level and one on their tops,, lights on air temps are generally 23-26c, lights off it can dip down to 17, but not for long as the heater i have does a fairly good job.

Add some Bigbud from the same AN range?? Or do you reckon i just pump up the A&B?

Cheers

Edited by samokybacon

Nitrogen deficiency is likely. You're back on the money. He's right, lowering EC can cause that. A quick google backs this up. AN Big Bud doesn't have Nitrogen in, it's Phosphate and Potash based.

Though both the A&B include Nitrogen, the A is the one which will contribute more towards the EC reading. Add them both together as you would usually, just add 10% to your usual mix and check the EC. If no change within a couple days, add another 10%. 1.6 is a low EC for week 4 as a general statement I think. However, some strains may prefer lower it just depends on your setup. But 1.8 - 2.0 would be fine.

Be careful with AN products. They can easily overfeed. 

Another option would be to use Nitrozym. It's incredible to recover from Nitrogen deficiencies when used as a foliar feed, proven by some amazing lemon tree feeding programs I've had success with (lemon trees are really hungry). Keep it away from the buds though if you do go that route.

https://www.growthtechnology.com/product/nitrozyme/

example-yellow-leaves-nitrogen-deficienc

Edited by mrevolve

@mrevolve thanks for the advice mate!

I upped the EC to 1.8/1.9 on Friday and hoping this solves the problem. Still loosing a few leafs on the bottom of a couple of the ladies as of today but will see what the next few days bring. Will be in touch!

@mrevolve @me n me girls 

Hi guys,, so it's been 4 days since i upped my res neut strength to 1.9 friday eve. I found that 24hrs later it had risen to 2.0! So going on what i read on here im on the understanding that when your EC is rising and the water level is falling that you are over feeding!?! 

Soooo given this i diluted the EC down to 1.8,, only to find that 24hrs later it had risen to 1.9 again! So the next day to be sure i again diluted the res down to 1.8 and sure as shit 24hrs later it had risen to 1.9 again. 

I have noticed today that the larger lower leafs have green'd up abit but the smaller leaf clusters/popcorn nugs are still very pale. Ive also noticed this eve a bit of neut burn on the top leafs on one of the ladies which i guessed was caused by the jump to 2.0

Sooooo this eve ive lowered it down to 1.7 to see if it is stabilises.   

Am i doing the right thing? Struggling to get my head around this!

Would it be a good idea to make my next neut mix 50/50 grow/flower to give the girls abit more Nitrogen in their mix? 

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance... :smokin:

1 person likes this

If a plant is paling it does mean its lacking food but the question is why. It isn't an automatic up the feed scenario every time. It maybe a lock out of nutrient where the plant isn't taking the nutrient up correctly. So upping the feed in some cases can make things worse.

Looking at your plants they look on the verge of over feeding so I personally think its a lock out so I'd be reducing the feed down to about 1.2 and stop giving the cal mag and see how they go. It isn't going to kill them as 1.2 is still a good strength. This may kick the plant back into sync and then you can up the feed if needs be. Many here dont go above1.4-1.5 all the way through their grows. I'm one of them.

The problem with adding this that and the other is that you can soon get in a mess. AN nutrients are renowned for having more bottles than a bottling factory and I for one would never use them because I like to keep things simple and use a base nutrient and root stim and thats it and I do fine as do many others

Also before you do anything check your temps are ok in the grow and in the res at lights out especially

Owd 

Edited by Owderb
7 people like this

@Owderb thanks for the prompt response mate, really appreciate the knowledge of you experienced guys and everyone on this forum!

Im inclined to agree with you as upping the nuets over the last 4/5 days has had very little effect other than the above mentioned light neut burn and a constantly climbing EC. I had been at an EC of 1.5 like you mentioned but thats when the ladies started to pale and hence why i upped the feed after peeps commented they looked hungry.

Just to clarify I've not used Cal Mag at any point in the grow. & yes i couldn't agree more about adding this that and the other, ive been trying to keep it simple,, well trying!! :wallbash:

Air Temps,, lights on 24-26c. Lights off 17-19c. 

Res Temps,, Lights on max 20.05c Lights off 18.5c

(i monitor the res temps obsessively as ive had probs with root rot before and suspected it a little while ago this time around)

For the last two weeks all i've used is AN Bloom A&B + silver bullet for the first week and in the recent week gone by i've replaced the silver bullet with Botanicare Hydroguard as i've been trying to make sure the suspected root rot i had was done & dealt with. To be honest the only reason ive been using AN neuts is because a member on here recommended them so highly. 

Sooooo,,, on writing this i'd already faff'd around making a mix and bringing the res EC down to 1.7. So tomorrow i will follow your advice and drop it right down to 1.2.

My questions are as follows.

1, how long do i leave it at 1.2? 

2, if i drop it to 1.2 tomoz and then the next day it's fallen to 1.1 do i then start to up it to 1.3 or do i wait? 

3, Or do i take it as they are showing me they are hungry and start upping it by 0.1 every day as the week progresses until i find it stabilising?

Thanks again...

@stu914 whats your thoughts mate? I know your a AN man and had plenty of experience with them.

Edited by samokybacon
1 person likes this

1. Your ec readings in the res will tell you that along with observing the plants

2. I'd wait a couple of days first but once again keep an eye on the plants

3. Yep

Owd

2 people like this

@Owderb Cheers mate,, il keep ya posted and put some pics up in a few days!

Reading this again I do think with no change adding some nutrient the best would be is decrease it as Owderb advises. Sadly, specific nutrient metres are mentally expensive. While reviewing other issues I would maintain it at 1.2, don't change it again until you've resolved this problem. Allowing you to ensure you aren't adding further variation into the mix.

Rising EC/PPM in the reservoir could also be root rot. Especially 

Are you able to see the colours of the roots with your system; are any poking out the bottom where the water constantly runs? Do you have an air stone?

Here are a few items to look at to at least help you check off you're covering this potentiality. Hopefully we can all help you get this sorted buddy!

Some information on the solution to root rot;

Edited by Owderb
Links from another weed site removed

10 hours ago, samokybacon said:

whats your thoughts mate? I know your a AN man and had plenty of experience with them.

I swear by them bud, Just A+B grow and bloom with a touch of Buddhas Tree pk for a few weeks during flower.

NOTHING ELSE!!...Leave the rest of their bottles in the shop, keep it simple...

Never adjust the ph, this will screw them up, change res once a week or so and you should be good.

:oldtoker:

@mrevolve thanks for your impute mate.

No air air stones in the res but i do i have a recirculating pump in the res running constantly which ive been told does a better job at oxygenating the water than air stones.

Could you DM me the links you posted for combating root rot as they have been removed from your post.

Root rot is a concern as you can see from my notes above. I had hoped the measures i had gone to catch it at a very early stage had combated it but i fear i may have just slowed it and not got rid of it fully! That said the res water is running nice and clear and has been since the full clean down a few weeks ago, its never gone above above 20.5c either.

Checking the roots is a proper nightmare and unfortunately i'm away at the mo and relying on my bro to give me all the relevant info by video call!

When i last looked at them just over a week ago they looked pretty good, a little discoloured but no slim or nothing and there was new growth and the tiny little hairs off them looked ok. Two weeks prior to this it had been a different story with the little amount of roots that had found their way into the res looking discoloured, knotted and a little slimey. This was the reason i went to all the lengths i mentioned earlier in my post to try and combat it. 

Im gunna get my bro to try and inspect the roots tomorrow evening and il let you know what i find. This eve il get him to drop the EC down to 1.2 and i guess we'l see what happens.

Yeah will do mate. I advise buying a cheap boroscope for your phone off eBay. A small camera so you can get in there and have a little look!

@Owderb am I allowed to DM please? Being new, I don't want to go against any forum rules man

Edited by mrevolve

If its PM you mean you can't until you have 50 posts I believe plus what is not allowed on the boards should not be used in PM's

Owd