Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


K-dawg

Underfloor heating kit

I have put underfloor heating in my grow tent, first i put down xps insulation boards then a 1m2 tray then pots in that. Also some pots in saucers layed on the underfloor heat as there wasn't enough space in the big tray. Anyway root temps were spot on last night, 21.2 to 21.9 all night with tent temps dropping to 15 plants look better though after just 1 night.

 

I noticed that the cable from the kit has started to press right into the xps boards, must be the heat and weight of pots. The boards are off ebay and not very sturdy.

Just wondering if there is something better i can the heating kit on that wont melt or compress when pots are sat on top?

Or any pics of peoples set ups with underfloor heating. My tent is in a room with carpeted floors aswell

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

try raising the board of the heat matjust enough so your not squashing the cable

 

any chance of a make of your underfloor heating been looking into a better way of heating the pots other than tube heaters

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

thinking going this way myself, cut some spacers out some board and lay the cables round them so to create a gap between board and cable

some small rubber bungs or something similar

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, smallbeginings said:

try raising the board of the heat matjust enough so your not squashing the cable

 

any chance of a make of your underfloor heating been looking into a better way of heating the pots other than tube heaters

Its off ebay mate, Tanking kits direct. Electric Underfloor Heating Mat Kit 200w m2. 

I ment to write, i have the insulation boards down first then the underfloor heating then saucers/pots. I'm not sure the pots will heat up aswell if raise them away from the cable somehow.

I will post a pic up tomorrow.

Other than that its working a treat temp wise. I have unplugged my 2500w oil rad.. and hopefully never need to plug that fucker in again!

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, K-dawg said:

Its off ebay mate, Tanking kits direct. Electric Underfloor Heating Mat Kit 200w m2. 

I ment to write, i have the insulation boards down first then the underfloor heating then saucers/pots. I'm not sure the pots will heat up aswell if raise them away from the cable somehow.

I will post a pic up tomorrow.

Other than that its working a treat temp wise. I have unplugged my 2500w oil rad.. and hopefully never need to plug that fucker in again!

 

 

 

cheers

 

try adding  some laminate flooring on top of the heat mat,  wouldnt imagine it would mess with the temps plus the heat would spread more evenly 

Edited by smallbeginings
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

how does the  thermostat turn off the matt do you have to power the stat then to the mat?

 

i fucking hate electrics just about wired my board from my grow room and thats it lol 

Share this post


Link to post

I stuck a plug on the end of the kit instead of wiring it to a thermostat. Then plugged that into a ink bird thermostat from amazon mate. I don't have much experience with electrics so chose the most basic idea. Someone on here suggested it. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I use the probe on the ink bird for the soil aswell . They are about 30 quid, i have a few of them. One for each tent, very handy.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Bang on the Inkbirds, I have one for my electric blanket in my tent :yep:

You could use the thinnest ply you can find mate, under the cable on top of the xps boards to protect them. Then some more ply on top of the cable to protect it, maybe drill loads of holes in the top piece to allow more heat through to your pots. Someone on here has made a box for tube heaters with holes drilled in the top but I can't think who it is. Same principal though.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

@jadenugs that sounds like the idea i am looking for mate. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Just bought a inkbirds myself, haven't tried it yet, hope there ok

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

ah the temp controller plug thingy i was looking at one of these the other day im was thinking of using it with 2 tube heaters under my slated plinth, wasnt going to put the probe in the soil just stick it the under side of the wood 

 

these inkbirds are good then?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

I'd say they were good :yep:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Yes mate they do the job well. Some have a cooling option aswell if you want to plug a fan into them, i only use that for propagation tent though incase it gets to hot and extract out if needed.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, smallbeginings said:

ah the temp controller plug thingy i was looking at one of these the other day im was thinking of using it with 2 tube heaters under my slated plinth, wasnt going to put the probe in the soil just stick it the under side of the wood 

 

these inkbirds are good then?

Have you got a pic of your setup mate, always like getting ideas off others. I want to sort mine so the large trays are tilted slightly and collect run off in one corner

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now