Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

budjam

Hanna / Blue lab choice

Hello all

New to growing, so still getting to grips with things.

I see I need a PH tester so looked at hanna and blue labs, Then I see it may be worth checking EC also..

Have any of you tried this hanna combo tester? does it look good?

https://www.hannainstruments.co.uk/hi-98131-groline-hydroponic-waterproof-pocket-ph-ec-tds-temperature-tester.html

or something like this from bluelabs?

https://www.getbluelab.com/shop/By+Category/Meters/Bluelab+Combo+Meter.html

Thanks

I use a hannah combo meter similar to the top one as long as you keep it calibrated it will last forever and you can just chuck it in the buckets and they are 100 % waterproof and work but personally would go for the probe one just cos they are easier to read at a glance and you can replace the probes on them. 

Also look at the bluelab ec truncheon for another variation with a  seperate pH meter 

2 people like this

At those prices bloody hell.

Just a cheap fiver one off bay

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, HippyHair said:

At those prices bloody hell.

Just a cheap fiver one off bay

From all the threads I read the conclusion is pretty much "buy cheap buy twice" :)

10 minutes ago, doobie01 said:

I use a hannah combo meter similar to the top one as long as you keep it calibrated it will last forever and you can just chuck it in the buckets and they are 100 % waterproof and work but personally would go for the probe one just cos they are easier to read at a glance and you can replace the probes on them. 

Also look at the bluelab ec truncheon for another variation with a  seperate pH meter 

Hi mate

Thanks for that.

On the Blue Lab it is only the PH probe that is replaceable.

Yep from what the blurb says it's a sealed unit attached to meter and can't be changed :)

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, doobie01 said:

Yep from what the blurb says it's a sealed unit attached to meter and can't be changed :)

Think I will just try the hanna one, from videos on youtube it looks so simple to use and calibrate.

Both EC and PH can be calibrated with just 1 solution.

Edited by budjam
1 person likes this

To be fair cheap one can work but they can be poorly made and can lose calibration quickly  so if you can afford a better one go for it but if not a couple of cheap ones used would work  

2 people like this

I bought a pH meter off Amazon for about £10 and it's rock-solid but maybe I was lucky.

I'd love a recommendation of a cheap EC meter though as I did buy a cheap one and it's calibration is way-off and you can't recalibrate it lol

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Wiggles41 said:

I bought a pH meter off Amazon for about £10 and it's rock-solid but maybe I was lucky.

I'd love a recommendation of a cheap EC meter though as I did buy a cheap one and it's calibration is way-off and you can't recalibrate it lol

Hey all,

Just to add to this I bought a cheapy red thing of amazon and then upgraded to a essentials ph meter.

Both provide exactly the same reading but the cheapy starts further from the correct readinng and takes longer to get to the right one.

So really I paid for peace of mind and a water proof ph meter. The cheapy does have a nice led light though for in the dark!