Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

PedwarUrgain

Wi-fi routers are bad for plants?

24 posts in this topic
6 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

and if certain plant species don't seem to like growing under pylons and power cables

Have you a link to any info on that mate?

1 person likes this

56 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

If pylons chucking out e.m.r. can cause leukaemia in humans,  and if certain plant species don't seem to like growing under pylons and power cables then it doesn't sound quite so implausible.  

I've also got a mate who had testicular cancer and swore it was from his early mobile phone.  (Was always in his pocket,  same side etc).  

Maybe it's not such a mad theory

@SevernValleySavant ?

Well firstly, leukaemia in humans can't possibly be applied to plants. If you're gonna go down that road, you're going to have to demonstrate how they relate. We're talking about completely different biological mechanisms here. You've got a lot of work to do.

And I'm not aware of plants not wanting to grow under pylons. Do you have any evidence for this? I've heard of local authorities ensuring that certain plants are not allowed to take hold under pylons, for reasons of safety, maintenance etc.

And a testicular cancer anecdote? Again, why are you referencing humans here? That's not even close to being supporting evidence for what the claim is here.

Still sounding like a mad theory to me mate. I'm open to the idea, I'm just waiting for some actual evidence. I'm not saying that plants can't respond to EMR in any way, it's certainly plausible that it could effect gene expression. But we know that gamma rays do, there's abundant evidence for it, and yet there's no mystery as to why the wildlife around Chernobyl is thriving.

1 person likes this

@Phoenix I do.... it's called a HPS lamp.

Are you referring to my point about Chernobyl? Because if you are, you've clearly missed my point.

They're thriving IN SPITE of the radiation, not BECAUSE OF. Jesus wept.

Edited by SevernValleySavant
2 people like this

1 hour ago, SevernValleySavant said:

@Phoenix I do.... it's called a HPS lamp.

Are you referring to my point about Chernobyl? Because if you are, you've clearly missed my point.

They're thriving IN SPITE of the radiation, not BECAUSE OF. Jesus wept.

The wildlife around Chernobyl is so called 'thriving' in spite of radiation because no humans live there any more, so the area is returning to a wilder more natural state. But appearances are deceptive, the mammals and birds and plants around any nuclear disaster show genetic mutations. 

https://www.dw.com/en/nuclear-accidents-make-mutant-bugs-and-birds/a-19098683

The thing to take from this ^ article is that in plants, radiation affects the pollen, and radiation exposure during critical points in reproduction of all living creatures is a dangerous things. Birth defects are often the most obvious signs of radioactive contamination.
There were studies on pine tree pollen you can google.

Yet radiotrophic fungi are living happily in the remains of Chernobyl now...

But wifi is a whole different frequency, and it would be interesting to do studies on cannabis seedlings and pollination.

1 person likes this

@SevernValleySavant I've had a look and have no citation on which to base my claims.  I apologise.

3 people like this

On 07/12/2018 at 3:14 PM, grotbags said:

I'll be honest...i put my seeds in moist paper towels on top of my sky box(completely covered to retain the moisture)....works great for me...biological organisms  have optimum operating temps, lower is ok but they wont sprout as quickly, but if u go over that temp they will just cook.

Weed seeds don't need added heat to germinate, won't cause an issue though I am sure. Transferring delicate sprouting seeds from a substrate that is useless, to one that works just risks damaging the delicate filigree roots from the taproot, plant it in something that it will live in for the rest of it's life for better results

2 people like this

I've alwys found putting seeds in pots of compost and watering them a successful method of germination.  Sources of warmth other than wi-fi routers are available.

3 people like this