Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

PedwarUrgain

Wi-fi routers are bad for plants?

24 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I just read a thread here about some seeds not germinating. The chap had put them in tissue and left them on top of his router to keep them warm. It made me remember an article I read ages ago about routers being bad for plants, so I had another look.

Google has hundreds of articles on the matter and there is a fair amount of evidence to support routers stunting growth. Of course that's what the internet says - not exactly first hand empirical evidence, and there are a couple of articles that refute it, but why run the risk?

I don't know whether lots of people germinate seeds on or near a router and if anyone else has had any trouble, but its not a trick i'll be using.

Any thoughts?

1 person likes this

Yeah my thoughts are:

Get a shot glass. Fill with water and a smidge of seaweed extract. Drop seeds in and leave for 24 hrs making sure the seed has dropped to the bottom

Get a starter pot (s) full of compost and soak with water, a little seaweed extract and a bit of root stim. Leave for a while.

Get seeds and bury a cm or so in compost and cover lightly with more compost. Cover with clingfilm

Put into tent with a lights on for warmth or a root mat and put something over the pots to keep the light out. A couple of days later BINGO.

3 people like this

I'll be honest...i put my seeds in moist paper towels on top of my sky box(completely covered to retain the moisture)....works great for me...biological organisms  have optimum operating temps, lower is ok but they wont sprout as quickly, but if u go over that temp they will just cook.

8 people like this

Dunno about seeds but I've rooted clones in a glass of water , that was sat on an old BT router . Think we get a little precious about things regarding , what is essentially , a weed .

1 person likes this

To be honest i've pretty much always used routers and never noticed any problems either. These routers get a lot of traffic too. Not sure if it's better not to really, imo it won't make much difference considering there's lots of waves going around everywhere as it is.

2 people like this

I dont have wifi, people around me dont have wifi. All my cannabis germinated fine, but I have had trouble with a few of my chilli seeds (various types).

Maybe wifi is good for chillis?

2 people like this

Many frequencies, not just wifi will affect plants to some extent. All living things are energy, and vibrate, communicate and react to different frequencies. The effects may not be noticeable to humans or human scientists but that doesn't mean there are no effects. Humans are very insensitive to other species anyway. By the time we can see a plant is affected by wifi , it's probably way past the point where the plant reacted. Who knows what cannabis plants hear/feel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_bioacoustics

4 people like this

2 hours ago, greensprout said:

Many frequencies, not just wifi will affect plants to some extent. All living things are energy, and vibrate, communicate and react to different frequencies. The effects may not be noticeable to humans or human scientists but that doesn't mean there are no effects. Humans are very insensitive to other species anyway. By the time we can see a plant is affected by wifi , it's probably way past the point where the plant reacted. Who knows what cannabis plants hear/feel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_bioacoustics

You are of course absolutely correct, we have no idea what all these vibrational frequencies are doing to all the other vibrational frequencies (ie. everything that exists!) and what consequencies not knowing much about this vibrational pollution will have.  If only we hadn't had fucked Tesla around and suppressed his work, we might all have a clue by now.

Edited by elmer budd
typos
2 people like this

My germination process. I wet tissue paper and put on a plate.  I put the seeds on top of the moist paper. Then cover with another layer of tissue paper. Lightly splash that with water

Place another plate on top. Sealing the two plates. Place about a foot from my radiators. Leave it 48 hours. Moistening every 12 hours or so. 

And bang.

One seed out of about 40 has not cracked.

1 person likes this

On 07/12/2018 at 1:30 PM, PedwarUrgain said:

Hi everyone,

I just read a thread here about some seeds not germinating. The chap had put them in tissue and left them on top of his router to keep them warm. It made me remember an article I read ages ago about routers being bad for plants, so I had another look.

Google has hundreds of articles on the matter and there is a fair amount of evidence to support routers stunting growth. Of course that's what the internet says - not exactly first hand empirical evidence, and there are a couple of articles that refute it, but why run the risk?

I don't know whether lots of people germinate seeds on or near a router and if anyone else has had any trouble, but its not a trick i'll be using.

Any thoughts?

Done it a few times, in fact done it recently.

100% germ rate on the last one, and good germ rates generally.... unless i have done something wrong.

Potentially could cause issues, but without scientific evidence  its mythical to me.

I think when something goes wrong we look, and cling on to reason other than we just messed up.

Not saying there is no truth to it, i just have evidence myself to lean towards it not being true.  

Edited by Alan Johnson
1 person likes this

I never understand all this carry on when you can just plant seeds straight into soil and they germinate perfectly without all the glasses of water and kitchen roll.

8 people like this

2 hours ago, StevieRays said:

I never understand all this carry on when you can just plant seeds straight into soil and they germinate perfectly without all the glasses of water and kitchen roll.

I saw a tutorial that was basically a C-section on a seed!  To be fair I have always used the wet tissue method, but I don't think I will bother in future.

I use root riots every time with great success, I started growing using the glass of water,  then wet paper towel, plastic bag on router trick and had many different problems with this way. As a newbie that is so frustrating and takes the shine of growing straight away. You've spent loads on setting up and seeds to watch them not make it. Really shit from the off. So......... I bought some root riots, I wet the riot with water that has been standing for 24hrs at room temp. I then put the seed in the riot sponge straight out the packet and push it in the hole provided. I then put them in a heated prop (£15) nothing Carlos fandango, then left in the dark for a couple of days and you will have babies when you return. I really do think there's way too much prep goes into the paper towel trick and too many stages to go wrong. As soon as mine are big enough they go into pots root riot and all, cover with compost and there away. 

2 people like this

Sounds like typical arse-talking to me.

2 people like this

If pylons chucking out e.m.r. can cause leukaemia in humans,  and if certain plant species don't seem to like growing under pylons and power cables then it doesn't sound quite so implausible.  

I've also got a mate who had testicular cancer and swore it was from his early mobile phone.  (Was always in his pocket,  same side etc).  

Maybe it's not such a mad theory

@SevernValleySavant ?

1 person likes this