Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

FarmerPalmersNT

Driptech Rosin Press

63 posts in this topic

So I've been using my DIY budget press I put together for a while now and its great, been very happy with it - 

However, I have 3 issues. 1) it takes up a lot of space in my shed 2) It has no gauge - whilst I'm very used to the feel of the right pressure it would be nice to have a comparative record 3) I HATE dealing with parchment paper/PTFE and recovering the rosin, even though I have my technique perfected its a pain in the arse and slows down the process.

To this end I have gone and bought a 'driptech' press. These are supposed to be run so they press vertically and the rosin drips onto a waiting silicone mat, and this can be done without parchment at all.. Sounds good....

The one I've gone for is a dabpress unit. Here: https://www.dabpress.com/collections/hydraulic-rosin-heat-presses/products/3x5-mini-hydraulic-rosin-heat-press-machine-strongway-hand-pump They also do a 3t and 6t that are 'driptech' but when laid down they seem to be at an angle so for an extra few quid I'd rather have the 10t. I have seen a few videos of other driptech presses in action, and whilst I can see cleaning the plates will be a PITA it does still look easier. This press is very new so no reviews or videos of it being used in anger. There are separate heating elements and temp probes so should be a bit more accurate than my existing one. Will still use a contact thermometer though so not a great difference.

I've bought a pump with gauge to go with it so total cost just under £500. Quite a bit more than my £250 budget job. Its also tiny but has the same plate area. Looks well built and reviews of their other kit is great. Theoretically I should be able to run this completely paperless! It is supposed to improve terp retention and colour as the rosin runs away from the heat quickly. I will have the silicone mat on a cold slab. I'll update and review here. Anyone else use dabpress stuff or press this way?

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
11 people like this

Those dabpress look to be the best of the bunch .. Keep an eye on the cylinders I had an old hydraulic Chinese to look at for some one, all the seals had gone within one week.. Saying that I have not heard negative stuff re dabpress ..Just wish they all used a better controller and a pity they not do a twenty ton version with plenty of headroom left pressure wise ...:oldtoker:

Good find mate, might be tempted to save up for an xmas pressie to myself :) 

Could you do a review of the process / product, with a few pikkies maybe?

2 people like this

Yeah - the ram is generic so replacement should be easy enough. I've never reached the limit of my 6 ton so can't see a 10t being an issue for me. The rollie is a decent established one that works in a similar way but thousands of dollars! (lots of dodgy clones with shit welds but not touching them). 

This is the unit, no squishing vids from anyone around as its not a widely used unit yet:

Review and squashing videos will be posted as soon as it arrives!

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
8 people like this

Note the bamboo insulators, and magnetic bolts for clipping. Nice touches. I've seen the controller and a set of their caged plates in person and was VERY impressed. 

I use their 3x5 caged plates and they are a quality piece of kit. Hopefully the press is equally as good

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Note the bamboo insulators, and magnetic bolts for clipping. Nice touches. I've seen the controller and a set of their caged plates in person and was VERY impressed. 

2 hours ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

So I've been using my DIY budget press I put together for a while now and its great, been very happy with it - 

However, I have 3 issues. 1) it takes up a lot of space in my shed 2) It has no gauge - whilst I'm very used to the feel of the right pressure it would be nice to have a comparative record 3) I HATE dealing with parchment paper/PTFE and recovering the rosin, even though I have my technique perfected its a pain in the arse and slows down the process.

To this end I have gone and bought a 'driptech' press. These are supposed to be run so they press vertically and the rosin drips onto a waiting silicone mat, and this can be done without parchment at all.. Sounds good....

The one I've gone for is a dabpress unit. Here: https://www.dabpress.com/collections/hydraulic-rosin-heat-presses/products/3x5-mini-hydraulic-rosin-heat-press-machine-strongway-hand-pump They also do a 3t and 6t that are 'driptech' but when laid down they seem to be at an angle so for an extra few quid I'd rather have the 10t. I have seen a few videos of other driptech presses in action, and whilst I can see cleaning the plates will be a PITA it does still look easier. This press is very new so no reviews or videos of it being used in anger. There are separate heating elements and temp probes so should be a bit more accurate than my existing one. Will still use a contact thermometer though so not a great difference.

I've bought a pump with gauge to go with it so total cost just under £500. Quite a bit more than my £250 budget job. Its also tiny but has the same plate area. Looks well built and reviews of their other kit is great. Theoretically I should be able to run this completely paperless! It is supposed to improve terp retention and colour as the rosin runs away from the heat quickly. I will have the silicone mat on a cold slab. I'll update and review here. Anyone else use dabpress stuff or press this way?

I am looking at this identical unit. Did you have to pay import duty and/or vat to get to the uk?  What if any is the difference between this and the stand up version in your opinion? Thanks.  Oh! When you gonna show us some squishy stuff. I need to order it now! thanks for your posts...

16 minutes ago, its420dude said:

I am looking at this identical unit. Did you have to pay import duty and/or vat to get to the uk?  What if any is the difference between this and the stand up version in your opinion? Thanks.  Oh! When you gonna show us some squishy stuff. I need to order it now! thanks for your posts...

Dunno yet - I've not received it. The other version seems more compact and tidier, its just not designed to run on its side, and I want to try paperless driptech style presses. If I didn't I'd probably go for the other unit as its cheaper. I'm expecting an import duty charge, especially as its sent DHL. They are robbing bastards.

2 people like this

Great find. As much as it'd be nice be follow one of the Rosin press builds here this is a great option for us others.

4 people like this

@FarmerPalmersNT get the seller to mark down the price as a cheap emboss press, best bit with DHL from China is they do their own customs clearance :oldtoker:

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Ital said:

Great find. As much as it'd be nice be follow one of the Rosin press builds here this is a great option for us others.

Absolutely - I was thinking of upgrading mine to a gauged 10t DIY job with caged plates just because, but this came in at around the same money. Its a no-brainer. 

42 minutes ago, Arthur Mix said:

@FarmerPalmersNT get the seller to mark down the price as a cheap emboss press, best bit with DHL from China is they do their own customs clearance :oldtoker:

I will chap. Its DHL though and they are a law unto themselves. I've had them mark up Dhgate stuff too.

2 people like this

Its here!! First impressions are absolutely exceptional. Packing was superb:

large.20181120_141558-980x2016.jpglarge.20181120_141323-2016x980.jpg

Build quality of this thing is mind blowingly good, alignment could not be better, attention to detail second to none from the hidden magnets in the frame to the perfectly machined bamboo insulator, cable spring flex, its all perfect. How they are costing this for $499 I just don't know. Even the allen keys they supply are decent ball end style! Came with a big silicone mat, pre press and bags.

large.20181120_141656-980x2016.jpglarge.20181120_141816-980x2016.jpg

Ram is easily removable so a replacement should be simple if/whenever required.

large.20181120_141958-980x2016.jpglarge.20181120_142013-980x2016.jpg

I have a decent pump with gauge already so will have this up and running tonight, a test press with some flower driptech style will be in order. Video will follow if I can get some decent footage. I've decided to make a little PTFE envelope for the plates rather than press flower directly with them as I don't fancy the clean up. Also have some lovely live bubble hash that is drying a bit first, so that'll be done next week. Fired it up and the temp on the PID was 2 degrees from the thermometer so that's also a huge step up. PID components are excellent and no XLR plugs in sight! Happy with that as I hate those things. Opening it up the gauge of wire would be too heavy for plugs anyway which is always a good sign. 

Overall I am blown away by it - proof will be in the pudding but so far so good. Duty fees came in at £26 so could be a lot worse!

21 people like this

I’m so jealous right now.

cant wait to see how it performs. 

3 people like this

1 hour ago, assault and battery said:

I’m so jealous right now.

cant wait to see how it performs. 

^^ This 100% :D

Looks like a really well built piece of kit, look forward to seeing it in action

2 people like this

:realcool:

1 person likes this