Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

It's 420 somewhere

Hydro with rockwool and Clay pebbles

Hi all,

I'm a complete noob to all this and need to get some decent advice before I get things going as the seeds have arrived!!

I have very little space to play with which meant I got a 75x75x200 (WxDxH) tent, 450w LED light, carbon filter/extraction fan, a 65x65 wilma with 4 x 11ltr pots.. I have a bunch of extras like oxygen pump, heater (as the tent is in a shed, a concrete shed but a shed all the same), oscillating fan etc.

This will be my first grow ever and the advice I get seems to change often, I've been reading this forum and everyone seems happy to help so here are my questions..

• I was told to use 1" rockwool starter cubes, move them to 4" cubes once ready and then the 4" cubes into the 11ltr pot filled with clay pebbles.. Is this a good way to go as some people are telling me not to put rockwool in with clay pebbles?
  • If I do stick with this medium setup do I drip feed or flood as rockwool and clay seem to prefer the opposite method?
  • I appreciate there is no real set watering schedule but if i am going with rockwool held in clay pebbles can anyone give me a good starting point for the number / duration of feedings the plant should have? i can dial it in from there.

I will be on an 18 on 6 off light schedule (maybe 19:5 just to test it) and was told not to feed during the dark period.

I think i have the EC / PH / reservoir cleaning all down and i will pull back on the nutrient dosage to around 1/4 of recommended as I am growing autos and that seems to be common advice from everyone.

Any tips / advice you can offer would be really appreciated :)

Let me know if any of you need more info on my setup before offering up ideas.Thanks

Im runnung rockwool in clay on wilma system.
I went from 1" cubes to 4" then moved to wilam clay.
They taken to the wilma system instantly pal i had no problems with that at all.

Tip: Make sure you have good root system in 4" before moving to system.

Edit: your doing autos on 18/6 ? i would do 20/4 or 24/0

As for people saying autos need less feed i found this not to be true with Big Budda Cheese autos they love the feed mate and asking for more.

i did 1/2 half mix but it was never enough for my plants i had to up the feed.

So be careful watch your plants they will tell you what they need

Edited by HeavySmoker

You speak of small space. Will you have room for Rez and automation, or will you be hand feeding? 

Cheers @HeavySmoker feel reassured someone did it that way on got some success.. I love this community and have learnt so much already but there are some vastly different opinions which to a newb like me can get confusing.

I was planning to transplant them from the 1" (when ready) to the 4" cubes and then straight to the 11ltr pots with Hydroton but still hand water until a good root system before using the wilma for feeding.

Would you suggest to leave them just in the 4" until a good root system before going to the pots?

I will slap them on a 20/4 unless they say otherwise, a little rest never hurts :)

Thanks for the feeding tips, i will start low at a 1/4 and watch them closely to see if they have the munchies and need me to up the nuts!! 

1 person likes this

Hi @Redeyezman, I have a 65 x 65 Wilma (drip and drain) 4 pot which has a 30ltr res under it.. After speaking with a few people about water coverage concerns i pulled out the drippers and all the tubing and built a watering ring system and threw it through a test, the Hydroton gets much better and even coverage :yep:

1 person likes this

@Redeyezman,@HeavySmoker

Just thought i would upload a pic of the watering ring design i did for my wilma 4 pot (now that i finally figured out how to upload a pic lol), @HeavySmoker thought you might like this as i was reading one of your posts last night about the drippers not giving good coverage and the roots growing to where the drippers were.

I get almost full coverage over the clay pebbles / Hydroton and still gets the rockwool nicely watered.

large.unnamed.png was really easy to put together, only cost me about £20 in parts and i was able to switch to reflective flexipipe to help with temps etc

I was considering rings myself as I've just upgraded to an 8 pot system from a 4 (that I have just used for the 1st time in years and was so impressed I bought the bigger one).

The 8 pot system comes with a 1000 pump not a 500 and so you are able to use the drippers as they were made to be used - the added pressure causes the water to fly out and cover much of the pot. This was a revelation to me tbh and made instant sense (I had wondered why the water just went straight down lol).

I love the Wilma system, saves a lot of hassle even with small grows and I've gotten my biggest yields by far using it with rockwool in pebbles :)

On 19/11/2018 at 3:13 PM, Wiggles41 said:

I was considering rings myself as I've just upgraded to an 8 pot system from a 4 (that I have just used for the 1st time in years and was so impressed I bought the bigger one).

The 8 pot system comes with a 1000 pump not a 500 and so you are able to use the drippers as they were made to be used - the added pressure causes the water to fly out and cover much of the pot. This was a revelation to me tbh and made instant sense (I had wondered why the water just went straight down lol).

I love the Wilma system, saves a lot of hassle even with small grows and I've gotten my biggest yields by far using it with rockwool in pebbles :)

Hi @Wiggles41 always love hearing from other people with a wilma using the same medium as i do.. i stuck a diagram of what i was going to build above but below is a pic of what it actually looks like... just wondering how many feeds a day you are giving your gals? Cheers and gl with your grow!

large_All.jpg

I made the mistake of leaving my watering rings too big so not enough of the rockwool was getting the water which i have now sorted..

1 person likes this