Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max-P

Recirculating air to increase temps

Hi All,

May have under estimated the impact the upcoming cold months will have on my grow. Seems like a lot of people have the same concern due to the number of heating related questions over recent weeks. 

Does anyone foresee any negatives to recirculate unfiltered grow space air, passing thru a serious of channels with Tube heaters? In theory the grow space temp should be a lot higher than my inlet air temp, which would effectively make it easier to warm up and maintain temp.

My inlet, extractor, tube heaters are all managed by a controller, which reduces the fan speeds (not turning off) once low temp is triggered, at which point I am expecting the controller to turn on the tube heaters, its own set of PC fans and recirculate the air. Currently the tube heaters turn on with inlet fan pushing the air in to the grow space. 

While I understand there are other options such as oil rad's, fan heaters etc, my space is limited, and I don't want to introduce a boxed Oil Rad outside my grow box attached to my inlet. Stealth is the priority. 

Set up, insulated (50mm) Grow box, 0.8m (W) x 0.6m (D) x 1.6m (H). 135W LED QB, Active intake. with tube heaters (3x 45w) in a channel. Location single brick garage. Light Schedule 20/4, Heat mat is on its own thermostat. 

What you guys think? worth a stab ?

Thanks

Max

Lack of co2. Plants need fresh air.

2 people like this

large.IMG_0657.JPG

Cut a pallet down to size and put your tubes underneath. Put the drip tray on next. If you feel that it takes too much height off your tent you can get a piece of board, lay the tube heaters on the board, put the pallet on the top then put your tent on the top of that. I am growing Autos and when it's lights off the TH come on and it stays toast at the roots. 

6 people like this

24 minutes ago, MK11 said:

Lack of co2. Plants need fresh air.

Ah didn't think about the CO2 impact. As per the current set up, inlet fan will never turn off just reduce to a slower speed, so I guess it would still maintain some degree of Co2 from fresh air. 

Electric blanket on a rootit thermostat

:oldtoker:

1 person likes this

My veg tent it set up the same as Larry's - 60x60x160cm - 60cm/80w tube heater underneath a cut down pallet. 250w MH. I'll probably leave it on 24/0 at the height of winter for the heat. You shouldn't need a heat matt using this technique and  a stand alone heat matt won't heat the space.

Edited by Ital
3 people like this

A heat exchanger will transfer the heat from the warm outgoing air to the cool incoming air. No probs with co2 and will save a good few quid on heating costs

1 person likes this

If your going to recirculating stale air just be sure to have a fresh intake to mix with it and there should be no problem unless your in a rain forest.

1 person likes this

Thanks all, given me something to think about. 

Going to take a look at Larry's suggestion. 

Has anyone tried a closed loop set up ?

Discovered my controller has a feature which does periodic air dumps for close loop set ups, from what I understand I would need to have a means to introduce Co2. 

Small air pump or dwc type grow plus water heater. Check out the grow tool to see how much fresh air you require. 

1 person likes this

If you have access to house air then it is already hotter than outside and probably increased in CO2 if there are a few of you in there

Edited by distracted
1 person likes this