Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Reflektor

Fastbuds Pineapple Express LED mini diary (with Q’s)

41 posts in this topic

Following minor success on my first attempt at a Fastbuds grow, I achieved a very modest 15g of incredibly pretty dark purple bud, with nice sweet flavour    and aroma, but not so much blueberry flavour. In a nutshell it wasn’t my most diligent grow as I had a lot of things going on at the time, it was also grown outdoors.

Ive seen very mixed reviews for Fastbuds product, but purely based on the exceptional colour of the Fastberry bud and the crazy mid summer seed pricing promotion I decided to give them another chance and picked up a bunch of Pinaepple Express for a great price.

This time around, however, the intention was to grow indoors under LED.

Set up is:

300W Kingbo full spectrum

450W Viparspectra full spectrum

2x 27W T5s that I hang down the side for a bit of extra canopy penetration

L140 tent

6” fan, passive inlet 

H&G Batmix 

11l air/fabric pots

1ml Cal mag during veg

2-4ml Old Timer bloom during flower

24/0 for approx 60 days

20/4for approx 20 days

just switched to 12/12 (more to follow on this)

This was a modest grow of 4 plants, 3x Pinapple Express plus a single White Diesel Haze auto that I was excited to try. Alas, the WDH turned out to be a true runt, and never got taller than 3”(!), it’s still out in the greenhouse in disgrace..

So the tent grow turned out to be just 3 plants in the end, but I wasn’t too worried about this as I was keen to see how big I could get them under a reasonable amount of combined LED power. Initially all the seedlings started well, I gave them as much light as I dared to begin with as I was keen for the  best start possible following a couple of stunted recent auto grows. After 14-21 days they were looking great with good leaf development.

large.C3A71A50-C760-4DF3-8BE6-89F06F3B028E.jpeg

Following this period was a week or so of wondering where the stretch had gone.. but after 30 days it suddenly turned up, and they went from short and bushy at around 25cm, to 85cm over the next 40 days. Amazing stretch with more side branches and bud sites than I’ve had on any of my other Auto grows.

large.E6BDBAD3-B888-4E0F-B7CF-E07B8F6D3DCF.jpeg

Smell is lovely, not overpowering or pungent but a good strong earthy sweet aroma. My current concern though is that although 2 of the 3 are blooming nicely (particularly the shortest bushier one), the final plant has been frozen in time for the last 3 weeks - absolutely covered in long hairy pistils, and looking like a Christmas tree with potential bud sites, yet not a single trichome or flower swelling to be seen.

I thought it best to just be patient and let her catch up eventually, but I hit day 81 today and as you can see, the lowest leaves are beginning to show signs of old age, so I’m wondering if I’ve left it too late... 

Therefore, as of last night I’ve switched to 12:12 in hope of triggering any rogue dominant photo traits and seeing if I can get her to swell after all. She’s easily got the potential to be a record breaking Auto for me so fingers crossed.

large.99C700A4-073A-425D-9744-7BF898CC8016.jpeglarge.84BA195E-9ED2-4240-A546-C628B53A3EFD.jpeg

Above you can see the slow plant and all her pistils.

Below should give an example of the better bud growth on strongest plants.

large.3C707E35-DD1A-4A5C-8C21-B1C5FA497916.jpeg

Ive been very light on nutes, that tends to be my preference anyway. Temps and RH have been stable, although possibly not ideal with recent cold snap - currently at around 18 degrees and 40%. In fact, some of the upper leaves have started turning lovely shades of red/purple, I expect in response to the slightly lower temps.

Any tips on bringing the stubborn girl in line will be appreciated.

Edited by Reflektor
1 person likes this

Anyone want to chip in on stalled auto advice?

3 days under 12:12 now, and no trichs yet..

Aren't autos bred with ruderalis ? You could have an unstable seed line  and its regressed? Just a thought

That's fine if it's the case, I'm just looking for a bit of advice on whether or not to persevere, or knock it on the head with that plant 

I`d personally keep it going until you simply can`t for whatever reason as she`s a cracker. Hopefully just a later developer and she finishes really quickly.

Sometimes these longer developers make for fantastic yields & if it`s a supposed sat dom strain like the pineapple express then it`s indicating a more sat leaning phenotype than the others which will have looser but longer budsets anyway & that will also reflect in her smoke.

Sorry I can`t be more definitive mate but these are fickle ladies with a mind of their own lol

1 person likes this

Yeah I agree, compared to the other 2 she physically looks younger in terms of leaf colour, the other are heading into autumn whilst she’s fully green with a trace of N deficiency on lower fans. I reckon she will naturally last longer, so fingers crossed she finishes well.

just got to figure out how to split the first dry with only one tent now.. 

Day 87, still no sign of trichomes on the lazy plant after switching to 12/12 7 days ago. The other two are now turning full 'autumnal', beautiful colours on the canopy but I suspect their remaining time on this earth is running short..

I've now switched to 18/6 as I'd rather finish the 2x mature plants as best as possible. 

Still hopeful that the last plant will mature at some point as it definitely still appears to be earlier in its life cycle, with a largely green canopy. I'm hoping that when I crop the other two I can focus all '750W' of the LED panels on her in order to give a helping boost of energy.. 

Still open to suggestions though!

Oh yeah, what's the longest life cycle I can expect from an auto? 

Seeing as this last plant is easily going to go over 100 days, I'm wondering if it'll suddenly die off - or just continue pretty much indefinitely

On 11/2/2018 at 10:10 AM, Reflektor said:

That's fine if it's the case, I'm just looking for a bit of advice on whether or not to persevere, or knock it on the head with that plant 

I always say wait it out! Nice little grow you got there too 

1 person likes this

Thanks man. I've got some good new images to upload this evening, and the slow plant may have just shown its first signs of progress, so fingers are crossed.

It's funny, I have a friend in another country whom has seen my (modest) success with autos, so has embarked on his first auto grow - exact same strain, only a few days apart, and he also claims his LED panels are the dogs danglies - but he's had a fraction of the same output as my grow. 

It's amazing to me how  little differences in approach can make such a big difference to the end result.

1 person likes this

Progress, day 93 (i think, need to double check), the stubborn late girl is finally putting out a few trichomes and swelling her calyxes. Incredibly slow transition, but she’s still looking healthy so should have some time left to fully mature. Very high hopes for this one as she’s covered in bud sites.

large.01BDC15E-75A3-4F4A-B757-7BFDC82D34D0.jpeg

Ive brought her to the forefront to make the most of the available light

large.8496174F-1A95-482F-A34A-24544920AFAC.jpeg

the other 2 are coming on well, in fact, I suspect I may be running them slightly too long for once, one in particular has swollen well and is showing 15-20% amber pistils. I just want to run her on plain water for a couple more days before the cull.

2 people like this

large.2E3A4DA1-5E74-43B0-A35D-E9ABC6163DFE.jpeg

large.708931DE-F565-49BC-920F-8C2B5DC54F0A.jpeg

some really frosty sites. The buds are so sticky.

3 people like this

Day 99, first 2 chopped and hung, 3rd basking in full glory of the LEDs. Smell was almost overpowering during wet trim, and had to clean my snippers every 15-20 cuts as they bunged up so fast with resin.. high hopes!

large.2A25ADA9-6E71-4AF3-A643-F1B165FC94A4.jpeglarge.5F407094-30E6-4468-B617-FF2275C648E9.jpeg

Edited by Reflektor
2 people like this

cracking bit of bud there mate ... the last plant looks like it will give a good ammount too ... coule you give a smoke report  when shes all dried mate ...

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, vortex said:

cracking bit of bud there mate ... the last plant looks like it will give a good ammount too ... coule you give a smoke report  when shes all dried mate ...

Thanks mate, for sure, I’ll feedback once cure is underway.

Fastbuds seeds seem a bit fickle at times to me, but if they get good treatment in critical first couple of weeks then they seem to take off. 

1 person likes this