Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

stiggy123

grow room 50 cm width too small?

20 posts in this topic

Hi.

I am trying to design my own grow room. Right now the dimensions are going to be either: 50 cm (width) x 75 cm or 90 cm (length). I have ordered the wood and everything but now I'm starting to wonder if 50 cm is big enough? This is my first grow so i don't know what the minimum dimensions should be. The reason why the grow room is only 50 cm (width) is because i live in a small apartment and i want to keep it stealthy. Do you guys think it will make a positive  difference, if i  made the grow room bigger? (60 cm width instead). I can't make it bigger than 60 cm though :) 

Stiggy

1 person likes this

My small drobe is about 60x55 and just under 1m in height - I have a 250w hps in there and sometimes put a second one in to speed things up veg wise and for the first few weeks of 12/12 (but leave the door open as it gets too hot otherwise)

With a bit of training you can do a scrog or a vertical grow in that sort of space without a problem.

large.small-drobe-day-69.jpggallery_40306_4554_112204.jpg

17 people like this

Hi bud,

My space is 60cm x 45cm x 70cm........and you think you're restricted.............:rofl:

Just now, highgrower said:

My small drobe is about 60x55 and just under 1m in height -

Didn't beat you by much bud, this could turn into a 'reverse dick-swinging' contest......:rofl:......mine's smaller than yours.......:rofl:

6 people like this

I get a better g/w in my small drobe than I do in my big one - i have got over 1g/w when doing a vert grow in the small drobe - dont think i have come close to that with a 400 hps in the big drobe (its roughly the same footprint as my small drobe but about 2m tall) - I have come close with the 315cmh but dont think i have got past 300g from the big drobe yet - for the past few years i dont bother weighing up properly and but can usually tell from the number of jars filled if its a good a bad grow.

5 people like this

Just now, highgrower said:

i have got over 1g/w when doing a vert grow in the small drobe

I've hit the 1g once in this space with a 150hps but rarely go below .8/.9. Just ordered new leds from dial-a-duck:rofl: (diyleduk) so expect yields to drop slightly but quality improve.

Exciting times............:yes:

7 people like this

highgrower - okay so it should be possible. The plan is to do a Scrog. it should be possible then :) 

wow stu914 that's definitely smaller also.

Okay so i guess the size of my grow room is acceptable. Would i notice any difference in making it 10 cm bigger (width)? The wood has been cut and everything is ready  but i wouldn't have a problem ordering a new size, if the extra 10 cm is important. 

I'm just glad it is possible to grow something in smaller grows.

Stiggy

The extra 10cm will give you that extra bit of space which is always good for fitting in a fan or just that bit more room for an extra row of buds in a scrog - i am sure everyone one here wishes for just that little bit more space be it 10cm or 10m2

2 people like this

Always build the biggest and especially the tallest room you can :)

It will make it that bit easier in the future

Owd

3 people like this

Thanks for your help guys :) I'm gonna make the box closer to 60 cm.

Originally i I wanted the height of the grow box to be 120 cm, but after reading about your grow rooms it makes me wonder if 120 cm is necessary? I am now thinking about lowering the height since I want to do a scrog and because I am going to have the fan + silencer/muffler in an insulated next to the grow room.  I guess it wouldn't affect my grow negatively if i lowered the height like 20-30 cm?

Stiggy

Keep it as high as possible - the better the airflow and more volume the less the build up of heat - with my 1m height i do have to really be careful with pot heights and train them properly plus trying to get under the screen at the back to clear up dead leaves or remove lower budsites at the start of 12/12 is near impossible without fucking my back up every time - i still get the odd burnt bit if im not careful plus there is the odd plant which stretch more than you expect.

Edited by highgrower
1 person likes this

@stiggy123 - basically build as big a space as you can is the best thing you can do.

@highgrower - i See, i didn't think about that. The height is still going to be 120 cm then, and then in the future i can always change the design if i run into any trouble. I just want to make sure my grow is going to be as good as possible but i think i need to understand that I can't avoid running into  problems and i will learn along the way. After reading for more than 3 years now is the time :) 

I think the dimensions of the room is going to be about: 55-60 cm. (width) x 80-90 cm (length) x 120 cm (height). Now i need to figure out what size of fan and filter I need. Btw I'm going to use LED (cxm22). The plan is to make a  Variac Fan Controller in order to make the over sized fan as silent as possible. But what size should i get? Since i am going to turn down the speed of the fan i'm not sure what to do here..

Stiggy.

I pull air through my small drobe into the big one so have an overpowered td silent fan - you should be ok with a small fan but as you already know its better to supersize your extraction as you can always turn it down and in summer on the odd >30C day you have the extra airflow to get through those days.  Dont bother with 100mm ducting/holes and go straight to 120mm.

1 person likes this

I see. Would a 6" rvk at 30-40 % be fine? I want to make the extraction as big as possible so i can dial it down in order to make the room as silent as possible.

I found some info about these RVK fans:

https://www.onestopgrowshop.co.uk/products/systemair-rvk?taxon_id=49 

5-Inch L
Rated air-flow: 323 m3/hour
Noise level: 43 dB
Power consumption: 58.8 Watts
Current draw: 0.257 Amps
Weight: 2.2 Kg

6-Inch
Rated air-flow: 428 m3/hour
Noise level: 40.6 dB
Power consumption: 59.6 Watts
Current draw: 0.262 Amps
Weight: 2.6 Kg

6-Inch L
Rated air-flow: 720 m3/hour
Noise level: 44.8 dB
Power consumption: 109 Watts
Current draw: 0.48 Amps
Weight: 3.1 Kg

8-Inch
Rated air-flow: 796 m3/hour
Noise level: 42 dB
Power consumption: 104 Watts
Current draw: 0.46 Amps
Weight: 3.2 Kg

Stiggy

1 person likes this

I havent had any rvk fans so cannot comment on noise/power levels - i am very happy with my td-silent and hasnt caused me any issues and on full power is just not really noticeable when the tv is on (i have it hidden behind a sofa and some sound proofing material).

I am sure others on here will be able to advise on the best rvk to go for.