Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JimmyPage

Exolux 600(660)W dimmable ballast !!!!!

Just been to check plant, and light was off :( Must have been like that for a couple of days, I think :(

Changed lamps - no go. Have checked fuses, contactor etc. The only thing I think it can be is the ballast (as per title).

Had this about 3 years now. Anyone know of there's anything to be done ? Or suck it up and get a new one ?

Moneys tight, so would a BAY6 equivalent be worth it ? After all the extra dosh on the Exolux didn't seem to help :(

Cheers all.

e2a: having taken the ballast off the wall, I noticed there's a small fuse tucked away in the input socket. Even more amazingly they supply a spare fuse.

Changed it, plugged it back in, and it blew my circuit breaker :(:(

Looks like I need a new one :(

SHIT !!!!!

Edited by JimmyPage

I assume that's a digital ballast @JimmyPage Did you get sorted out? 3 years is not that old tbf, I been using a Lumatek 600W digital for about 6 years now and fingers crossed is still ok! :v:

:smoke:

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Seasick Steve said:

I assume that's a digital ballast @JimmyPage Did you get sorted out? 3 years is not that old tbf, I been using a Lumatek 600W digital for about 6 years now and fingers crossed is still ok! :v:

:smoke:

Yeah, it's a digital dimmable ballast ...

Been digging through the receipts box, and have actually found the receipt - 16/10/2016 :) I'll be back to the shop to sort it out next week ...

2 people like this

OK, so all sorted. Can't say too much, but the shop were really helpful.

I notice with interest that the new unit has a couple of changes made ... firstly there's a nice blue LED to indicate which setting you have chosen. Which is a good idea, since the unit tends to be fixed to the wall in the dark and at a difficult angle.

The other change was that the mains lead supplied now has a choke, which the previous unit most definitely did not. Which suggests to me that the unit is sensitive to HF spikes ???

It's probably not a good idea to base theories on single points of evidence, but I've been suspecting for a while now that electricity in the UK is not as clean as it used to be. But it's not something you can easily confirm - you need a lot of data over a lot of time (which may be why they are getting away with it, if it's what they are doing).