Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

38 posts in this topic

I know this has come up countless times before but I'm looking for input from growers with actual experience in stealth growing.  I need ideas on photo or auto strains which don't attract attention by stinking up the neighborhood.

Breeders descriptions come across as a massive sales pitch and rarely seem to provide exactly the info I'm looking for.  I need a strain that when flowering can't be identifiable as cannabis.  I want to know that when someone walks down my garden path or enters my house they're not going to make any kind of connection between any potential odour and the fact that something naughty is going on in the house.  Can't grow in the garden I'm afraid.

I understand that most weed stinks but if all people smelled was fruit or flowers then that's ok.  What I don't want is fruit/flowers with that sweet sickly cannabis smell ever present.  And yes, I get that scents differ from pheno to pheno, and yes I'm equipped with a Rhino Pro CF, HEPA air purifier and Ona products on stand by.  The usual qualities, such as high yielding, compact, good response to bending/training and high potency are desirable but odour is my primary area of concern.  Through research I've discovered 'Blue Mystic, Papaya, Hybrid X and Northern Lights', although NL, even though generally considered low odour, emits a more generic cannabis smell. Well that's what I've read.  Any suggestions are appreciated. Just started a Dutch Passion Starryder in the mean time and I hope it doesn't stink up the house.  Anyone who has dabbled with this strain can feel free to chime in.

I should also mention that I only grow one plant at a time with a 200W (actual power draw) LED. Thanks in advance.

Edited by JJJ

Im confused? If you've got a rhino pro, you don't need to worry about smells?

2 people like this

Agreed I'm quite well covered but I'm thinking of times when I have to open the tent for watering, training, making adjustments, viewing, saying 'Goodnight' and 'Good morning' etc. Not to mention, harvesting.

Edited by JJJ

Hey JJJ,

Here are some photo strains that have a low smell while being potent at the same time:

Northern Lights, White Widow, Power Plant and most hash plants.

Cheers

Thanks Aladdin.khalifa.  That's surprising about Power plant and White Widow.  Not two strains I expected to see on a low odour list but I'll check them out, cheers.

Opening the door for minutes at a time won't stink the street out (provided you've got doors/windows closed.) If your tent is big enough you can get inside for harvesting

3 people like this

12 hours ago, JJJ said:

I need a strain that when flowering can't be identifiable as cannabis.

Alright there @JJJ

I think you are going to struggle with that part of your plan.

Imo you just need a good filter, negative pressure, big balls and your good to go,

oh yeah and the 3 s’s,

No smell.

No tell (no s here)

No sell

Then your good to go.

Take it easy Jj:hippy:

2 people like this

No such thing imho.

Some strains might smell low odour to us because we have built up tolerance/immunity by familiarity.. and compared to the stinky shit we usually grow some strains smell less too US.

To the untrained nose all weed stinks like weed. And I mean STINKS. Even hemp fucking bumps.

Shit even stuff that's not weed can bump like weed to the untrained nose.

Greenhouse full of tomatoes can smell uncannily like weed on times..

Im not saying some weed doesn't smell more or less than others.

Just that 'low odour' seems a bit of a misnomer really.

'fractionally less bumping' would be better I feel

9 people like this

Have a fan running 24/7/365 that ensures your tent and the room it is in are at negative pressure. The smell cannot travel upwind and so, like every other aspect of growing, you must become mother nature and provide a constant wind away from where nosy noses might be.

I have one fan+can extracting from my tent into the main room, and also another fan+can (a bit bigger than the first) extracting from that room into my property. This means the main room is at negative pressure, and the tent at even more negative pressure. Also, the wet, hot, air is extracted into the main property where it is dehumidified, saving me money on heating. In the winter it actually costs me more to heat my home with gas than it costs to have my lights on heating my home...

This means I can open my tent without worrying about any smell escaping the main room, I can also trim and dry in the main room without worrying.

You will find it much easier, and safer, to mitigate the smell that happens rather than finding a strain that smells less and relying on hope and crossing your fingers.

The only plant that does not smell is no plant.

3 people like this

My passive intake takes air from my bedroom and extracts outside. I hang my plants whole in my bedroom with no smell outside of the bedroom. 

Like as has been said, if the room is negative pressure and your extracting to another room/outside then the room the tent is in then becomes negative pressure. 

Providing all doors and windows are shut and you extract outside, theoretically the whole house will be under a certain amount of negative pressure. 

1 person likes this

Sweet Seeds ‘Sweet Special’ not sure if it’s still available but smelt the most unweed like weed I’ve ever smelt. It has a smell but it’s not cannnabis like.

Not much point trying for a low odour strain, it will more than likely still stink to the average joe. I have a really hard time smelling my grows now, its not until someone comes over and tells me it stinks that I start to worry a bit lol Just invest in a good filter/fan and get that extracted air pumped outside. And harvest/trim in the tent, not in the living room like I did thinking it was a low odour strain lol

Atb mate

1 person likes this

Weed smells and that is just the way it is. Over spec your fan and filter if in doubt an eight inch filter on a 6 inch fan really ensures a decent surface area of carbon and the max airflow but the standard offering has been designed to work perfectly, overspecing is just to fight the paranoia and max out airflow. Grown northern lights, power plant and hashplant, surprising they all smell like weed, maybe not as bad as some really pungent strains but they still smell!

4 people like this

Thanks for the replies folks, some really useful info here.  Yeah, it's shit having to cover up the delicious smell of weed.  Bring on the time when it's no longer illegal and we're going to be a lovely funky smelling country. I may have to vent back into my house as there's no way I can attach any kind of exterior vent other than to open a window which would really mess with the temps during the winter.  No drilling or carving holes in the ceiling as I rent unfortunately, but I have a nice new dehumidifier with HEPA filter and air purifier, and as I said before, Ona products should I need them. Smell building up in the house is a little concerning. That's why I thought I'd ask about strains which could be passed off as something else.

I really appreciate all the time you've taken to share your thoughts. 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Gojitangie said:

Sweet Seeds ‘Sweet Special

Checked this one out; looks good so may have to give it a try:)

1 person likes this