Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Canna-Anna

Starting my first DWC

21 posts in this topic

Hi.

I'm about to start my first dwc and need some advice.

I've already have my seed develop a tap root, about 1". I use Root Riot cube on a plate with a half PET bottle over to keep humidity.

I'm thinking to transfer the net pot to a 1L bucket and after roots develop more i transfer to final bucket.

I have a 60L bucket as final, going to have 2 airstones .

I have Plant Magic DWC nutes and ph+ and ph-. I also have plant magic bloom boost pk.

I have ph and ec meter.

Now my questions.....

1. Do you think it is a good idea to first use a smaller bucket, with a airstone, until roots develop more?

2. I have ec 0.4 in tap water, am going to need calmag later on? As i understand, it might not be needed?

3. If nute scheme says 0.8 ec nutes, does this mean, in my case, a total of 1.2 (0.4+0.8), or does this mean a total of 0.8 (0.4 tap water+ 0.4 nutes)? Nt going to max nutes, just want to know how to read the scheme. I go for half strenght.

I appreciate any advice and input.

Best regards

I’m on the same nutrients mate and looking for same advice it’s my first dwc as we’ll lol 

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, Canna-Anna said:

Hi.

I'm about to start my first dwc and need some advice.

I've already have my seed develop a tap root, about 1". I use Root Riot cube on a plate with a half PET bottle over to keep humidity.

I'm thinking to transfer the net pot to a 1L bucket and after roots develop more i transfer to final bucket.

don't bother. Just wait till the roots are out of the cube, and put it into the final net pot., SO basically, set up your bucket, fill the net pot with hydroton  till you get to a level where your cube will sit, then  fill your bucket with water till you see the water at that level,, just bubbling thru the hydroton,  plonk in root cube, fill rest of net pot with hydroton and  away you go. 

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, Canna-Anna said:

I have a 60L bucket as final, going to have 2 airstones .

I have Plant Magic DWC nutes and ph+ and ph-. I also have plant magic bloom boost pk.

I have ph and ec meter.

Now my questions.....

1. Do you think it is a good idea to first use a smaller bucket, with a airstone, until roots develop more?

No, the less movement of the plant after roots are out , means the less stress to the plant, so go straight to bubbler.

2. I have ec 0.4 in tap water, am going to need calmag later on? As i understand, it might not be needed? 

If your water is soft (below about 0.3E, then you will probably need cal mag, usually a few weeks in, you might be ok at 0.4, but keep an eye on them and if it shows signs of deficiency, then can start dosing it.

3. If nute scheme says 0.8 ec nutes, does this mean, in my case, a total of 1.2 (0.4+0.8), or does this mean a total of 0.8 (0.4 tap water+ 0.4 nutes)? Nt going to max nutes, just want to know how to read the scheme. I go for half strength.

Some include the background ec (0.4), but I don't bother, I just go by the meter. start at about 0.6 and take it from there. 

Hope this helps

I appreciate any advice and input.

Best regards

see above

5 people like this

Thanks for answer.

Well,, i get it going, i'm in week 2 now.

Roots has developed nice, however, she's looking kind of sad i think. Any suggestions? https://imgur.com/a/dbrcf30

Leafs curled down https://imgur.com/a/9B3gSUZ https://imgur.com/a/iezwNpK

Plant Magic DWC A+B

Has been feeding 0,8 EC (0,4 water+0,4 nutes).Total PPM 400 (Hanna). Too low?

Ph 5,8

Water is 19,5-20,5C.

https://imgur.com/a/6bI07dI

https://imgur.com/a/4Tvb61Q  The roots are kind of brownish close to net pot (the space between water and bottom of net pot). Roots in water are white. Problem?

Edited by Canna-Anna

Just now, Canna-Anna said:

The roots are kind of brownish close to net pot (the space between water and bottom of net pot). Roots in water are white. Problem?

Lower the level of the nutes in the bucket, roots need oxygen as much as food and water so the gap between the bottom of the pot and surface of nutes

should be a good few inches to allow roots to breathe, this is why she's drooping, basically overwatered.

The brown you are seeing could easily be the start of root rot, this can be treated by adding oxyplus to the nutes, before then though keep an eye on it, see if it gets any worse.

The area directly under the pot is the most susceptible to root rot so make sure you have plenty of air moving through your airstones, the surface needs to look like its boiling.

Your root temps are good, try and keep them 18 -21c, much above that and dissolved oxygen levels in the nutes drop off dramatically, roots then drown and rot,

below 18c and they stop growing leading to the same problem. See how she responds and if necessary increase feed strength

Hope this helps bud

atb

stu  :oldtoker:

3 people like this

Thanks!

Yeah, i have googled and it seems like over watering.

I have 1" between net pot and water.

Going to rise the gap to 2" and rise the airpump to max to see if it helps.ng about this

Edit*

Has lowered the water level, 2" below net pot.

Edited by Canna-Anna
3 people like this

I would leave it at an inch and up the airpump.

you will just end up with corded roots which have less surface area for uptaking nutrients.

the more air the better in these systems.

Edited by badbillybob
2 people like this

Opps!

I'm being too fast for my own good sometimes.

I have been wondering about the water level earlier since clay pebbles and root cube is soaking wet all the time. Is it supposed to be so wet?

Well, have already lowered so if it should be higher i'll adjust next time i change water ( in about 3 days).

1 person likes this

Roots would want to be growing towards the moisture not sitting in it.

1 person likes this

Just now, Canna-Anna said:

I have been wondering about the water level earlier since clay pebbles and root cube is soaking wet all the time. Is it supposed to be so wet?

There's your problem bud.........:yep:

2 people like this

Ok.

Going to try to squeese the cube carefully.

Guess my air pump is good since it is the reason cube is soaking wet (water bubbles popping and splashes upwards), the lid is full of water drops hanging.

1 person likes this

@Canna-Anna you will need to upload your photos to your gallery here on uk420 external links will be removed. Keep your images below 1mb as that is the size limits.

Best to start a diary and then people can follow along and give you some help when / if needed.

Toke...

2 people like this

Ok. Will do that, thanks!

Edit*

Seems like i'm no longer able to edit earlier post.

Testing post pic from album :)

large.3.jpg

Edited by Canna-Anna
2 people like this

Hi  guys!

I think i have big problemo.

As stu914 mentioned before i think i have root rot.

I really don't think the plants looks healthy, drooping leafs, lifeless, no vitality.

light brown tone to upper parts of roots. How ever, no strange smell or slimey feel,

I just think i ditch this lady and start over, have plenty of seeds so just go the easy way copared to trying to get her healty.

Do you agree?

Input much appreciated.

large.1.jpglarge.2.jpglarge.3.jpglarge.4.jpg

large.5.jpg

Edited by Canna-Anna

The top looks too healthy to bin it, i`d drop the water level so the bubbles break just high enough to keep the bottom of the netpot damp ;) You could wrap the sides of the netpot which will also help to shield the root cube from excessive moisture.

Edited by Geo