Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Afghankush13

Root maggots

30 posts in this topic
40 minutes ago, golf.007 said:

Do you notice them come out the bottom of the pot when watering? Probably springtails if you're in coco.

atb

No I haven’t as yet just when I took them out the other day I noticed loads of tiny little white things and I sure they were jumping but thy were literally the size of a tiny little metal shaving

18 lows certainly could be the problem... If that is your ambient temp, your roots are likely to be lower than that... Root temps are the main thing to worry about...

Personally, I'd feed at 22 not lower - 18c at roots can stop a plant in growth - it can't feed and will show signs of defs! In fact, what you describe is exactly what happened to a skunk #1 I had a while back - I was feeding too high a temp - the effect is similar, the plants can't feed, so it slows down, eventually stops, meanwhile, leaves start to yellow at the bottom as it cannibalises its resources, then they drop and that pattern continues up the plant till its totally f***ed.

Get the temps up - if that it s the problem, it should begin to turn around in a couple of days.

Also, the advice I've been given is to try to limit the swing range to 5 degrees between coldest and hottest temps - a minimum of 22 and max of 27 is going to be OK, but 18 - 27 may stress the plant.

Good luck!

PS. as far as I know, neither spring tails nor pot worms pose any threat to your grow... if you can get a pic up, it might help those more knowledgeable than I to id the beasties and see if they are likely to be trouble for you! I'd be wondering how they got into my pots though!!

:v:

Oh! Leaves curling under can be a sign of over- watering - if the plants were fully rooted out when you turned them out, they should be fine! You will find they grow faster if you pot up in stages and fully root out the coco before going up a stage...

Unless this is an auto - if its an auto, ignore this post.

11 minutes ago, Slugums said:

Oh! Leaves curling under can be a sign of over- watering - if the plants were fully rooted out when you turned them out, they should be fine! You will find they grow faster if you pot up in stages and fully root out the coco before going up a stage...

Unless this is an auto - if its an auto, ignore this post.

Taken all the advice mate it’s only my second grow so struggle with the problems nice one for all your feedback an am sure it will all help me out in the long run!!!

1 person likes this

If they only look like 1 week then my guess is you potted on too quickly from the 1ltr pot to the 11. You then watered the 11 till run off and I bet you've watered them before they were dry so they have stayed wet through. Couple that with the temp drop and they will then struggle. Like I said thats my guess. Been there

Owd

3 people like this

Hi @Afghankush13

If you start a diary (its a bit of a commitment) you'll get a lot of help from folks much more experienced than me...

If not, read a few diaries - Owd's diary "a nice simple grow", is a good place to start... One of the main things I learned - through lots of ups and downs - environment is crucial!

The plants might spring back if you can get the temps up. I'm not sure how best to water/feed if they are waterlogged - maybe just leave off watering for a day or two, then water carefully until the roots fill out.

Good luck mate! Ups and downs are good to learn from, but frustrating and disheartening, I know!

large.F95A47EE-98F3-4858-9A0B-8C83001022F5.jpeglarge.DF03B5D8-8BAD-4DE1-B3CD-C3CC115F1821.jpeglarge.D9FF16B1-93E5-4DFF-8D90-A448E04241E0.jpeglarge.D404B5ED-70F1-4B95-9FAB-168F18E3AC92.jpeglarge.124FD966-194D-4ECE-86A4-3C4B9A472E6D.jpeglarge.42F093B7-E7DD-4B51-89A0-D990C020B869.jpeglarge.B503150D-1C9F-40E7-B69F-0918484AA2CC.jpeglarge.BFB18701-278A-4E4C-A268-9A96E0227E69.jpegGuys finally worked out how to use pictures these are what I was taking about

1 person likes this

To me they look like they are cold - purple stems, light leaves - also if you went from 1lt to 11lt they wont be happy for a while.

e2a - get those dead leaves out of there as well.

Edited by highgrower
2 people like this

Yup! I'll second @highgrower - they're cold mate - I've had plants look this way before I got a wee radiator. 

Get the temps up above 18 and they should pick up - roots will be happy if they are at 22.

Raising your pots off the floor helps to isolate them from any cold coming from the there - I use an upturned storage box to lift the pots up and I put a small tube heater on the floor.

You can also use an electric blanket (or better) under the pots - obviously make sure it can't get wet.

The coco looks dry, with the plants being a bit small for their pots, water carefully, but keep the coco lightly moist even with a light spray.

Good luck!

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, Slugums said:

Yup! I'll second @highgrower - they're cold mate - I've had plants look this way before I got a wee radiator. 

Get the temps up above 18 and they should pick up - roots will be happy if they are at 22.

Raising your pots off the floor helps to isolate them from any cold coming from the there - I use an upturned storage box to lift the pots up and I put a small tube heater on the floor.

You can also use an electric blanket (or better) under the pots - obviously make sure it can't get wet.

The coco looks dry, with the plants being a bit small for their pots, water carefully, but keep the coco lightly moist even with a light spray.

Good luck!

Cheers for the feed back both I let the soil completely dry out because I had what I think was knat larvae on my roots!! So would you say all is not lost?? I’m worried aswell as there nearly 6 weeks from first rooting as a clone an they’re about 6” tall

Tbh if you have access to fresh clones or seedlings then I would bin these off.

I ain't saying they CANT be brought back to health but the time it's gonna take to turn them around you would be better off starting again.

Fresh rooted clones into 0.5-1L pot. Veg 1-2weeks pot onto 3.5-6.5 veg 1-2weeks pot on to finals wait a week and flip. 

5weeks till flower if starting today from fresh. 

It will take at least that long to get these into shape to flower and you may never get them there if they're permanently stunted.

Even starting from seed.  A plant vegged under a 250-400w for 4-5 weeks is gonna be a much better bet to flower than these will in 5 weeks times.

I guarantee you.

I know it's not nice to hear, it's a killer knowing you wasted 6weeks. Trust me. I KNOW.

That's why I also know sometimes your infinitely better off cutting your losses and running.

Bin them off and start again.  You will thank me for it one day. Honest.

2p

E2a this plan assumes you fix your initial problem of low temps/over sized pots/and excess watering for the next run. I didn't say as I assumed that was obvious but with assumption being the mother of all fuck ups and all that... Best to clarify.  Start again and do it right this time out. Tidy

Edited by Dodgee
1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

Tbh if you have access to fresh clones or seedlings then I would bin these off.

I ain't saying they CANT be brought back to health but the time it's gonna take to turn them around you would be better off starting again.

Fresh rooted clones into 0.5-1L pot. Veg 1-2weeks pot onto 3.5-6.5 veg 1-2weeks pot on to finals wait a week and flip. 

5weeks till flower if starting today from fresh. 

It will take at least that long to get these into shape to flower and you may never get them there if they're permanently stunted.

Even starting from seed.  A plant vegged under a 250-400w for 4-5 weeks is gonna be a much better bet to flower than these will in 5 weeks times.

I guarantee you.

I know it's not nice to hear, it's a killer knowing you wasted 6weeks. Trust me. I KNOW.

That's why I also know sometimes your infinitely better off cutting your losses and running.

Bin them off and start again.  You will thank me for it one day. Honest.

2p

E2a this plan assumes you fix your initial problem of low temps/over sized pots/and excess watering for the next run. I didn't say as I assumed that was obvious but with assumption being the mother of all fuck ups and all that... Best to clarify.  Start again and do it right this time out. Tidy

Yes mate bang on tbh that’s what I wanted to hear I got one grow under my belt which was blue cheese from seed which I didn’t have no problem with. These clones I got from a mate which I don’t even know if there from a decent mother at least with seed I can see for myself from the start even if I was to be able to turn t around there’s no enjoyment in going in and looking a that mate I’ve lost interest in them my last grow we’re twice the size of this by now. 

I got 15 blue cheese dinafem seeds which I’m going to do I’m going to bin these 

3 people like this

In that case cover both bases.

Pop 6 seeds. Get them in the tent beside the clones. I

Do your best to correct the problems with the clones and in 2-3 weeks time you can make the call, either pull them and replace with the 4 strongest seedlings.

Or if they've (the clones) made a miraculous recovery and look worth flowering then flower the lot. Just leave the blue cheese plants in smallish pots so they don't get huge and use them to fill the gaps in the canopy.

I'm willing too bet you will still pull the clones in 2-3 weeks time but at least you will have known you tried your best and your not losing time or wasting space if you've already started the seeds and have them growing alongside for those couple of weeks...

Again just 2p

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Dodgee said:

In that case cover both bases.

Pop 6 seeds. Get them in the tent beside the clones. I

Do your best to correct the problems with the clones and in 2-3 weeks time you can make the call, either pull them and replace with the 4 strongest seedlings.

Or if they've (the clones) made a miraculous recovery and look worth flowering then flower the lot. Just leave the blue cheese plants in smallish pots so they don't get huge and use them to fill the gaps in the canopy.

I'm willing too bet you will still pull the clones in 2-3 weeks time but at least you will have known you tried your best and your not losing time or wasting space if you've already started the seeds and have them growing alongside for those couple of weeks...

Again just 2p

Yes mate that’s what I was thinking to run them along side the clones and exactly as you said asses the situation in a few weeks time and make the call then. Thanks all again for all your input!!

massive help

2 people like this

Nothing left to add here!! ;)

I was going to say they are pretty far gone - as @Dodgee has already said, its not likely they will yield well given their stress, but going down the route of hedging bets, that's what I'd do, is sage advice!

If you start a diary for the blue-cheese - the dinafem rep on here is excellent, above and beyond helpful - you'll get a lot of support for the good folks here...

Good luck!

1 person likes this