Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Afghankush13

Root maggots

30 posts in this topic

Guys after researching the net for days on end I think I’ve come to a conclusion of root maggots. I’ve been suffering with slow growth of plants yellowing of leaves etc and originally thought it was to do with some form of nitrogen deficiency but as time went on I took the plants out of the pots to have a look and noticed tiny little white worm lookin things at the bottom of my plant and a fair few of them. Now can you tell me 

1. Is it to late should I just scrap the grow and start again or 

2. Is the light at the end of the tunnel and can this be treated 

thanks all

Sounds more like fungus gnat larvae mate. No big deal and easily treated. Would have to be one hell of an infestation ruin the whole crop. 

2 people like this

Just now, SoD said:

Sounds more like fungus gnat larvae mate. No big deal and easily treated. Would have to be one hell of an infestation ruin the whole crop. 

Well I’m glad to hear that mate I’m week 4 into veg from clone but looks more like week 1 do you think this would explain the ill looking plants mate and can you recommend anyThing to use??

Could be fungus gnat larvae, if it is, you should have seen/see lots of little flies flapping around... There are other white wormy things that occupy your growing medium - if you let folks know some details about the grow, it might give some hints and tips! If you can post pics of the "invaders" that'd also be really useful...

There are less harmful options - pot worms (google that to see what they look like) are good for your plants, they eat the crap up in the soil and aerate and add nutrients to your grow... 

8 minutes ago, Afghankush13 said:

can you recommend anyThing to use??

If you can give lots of details - are you growing inside/outside, in soil, in coco etc... the more info and preferably photos, the more help you'll get.

Good luck!

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, Afghankush13 said:

Well I’m glad to hear that mate I’m week 4 into veg from clone but looks more like week 1 do you think this would explain the ill looking plants mate and can you recommend anyThing to use??

They are a pest and do some damage to your plants mate, but I've personally never had them in enough numbers that they would seriously effect the plants. Maybe you have a cumulative effect with other problems too, and the gnats won't be helping. Hard to say without seeing some pics. Anyway, there are loads of ways to deal with them and it depends on how you grow really. Have a search in the pest section on here and you'll find plenty ways that suit your method of growing

just been reading, fungus gnats don't bother a healthy plant in veg but seedlings get harmed , I just got rid of root aphids with sand spread across the top of soil, kills them of by cutting them so they dehydrate, need to let the soil dry as much as possible.

Bit more info like soil or coco etc

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, SoD said:

Right sorry for the little info I’m growing indoors 8 plants under 2 600w hps lights I’m growing in coco professional currently feeding coco a and b and rhizotonic feeding at 1ml/1l still can’t put pictures up as it won’t let me create an album

2 people like this

Do you notice them come out the bottom of the pot when watering? Probably springtails if you're in coco.

atb

1 person likes this

So slow growth and yellowing leaves...

Questions:

What are your temps like? Highs and lows at lights on and off...

What temp is the water/feed going into the pot at? Roots only work properly within a specific range - I know because I brought a plant's growth to a stand still because the water/feed was a bit too warm! They like 22c - keep them above twenty and below 25, you should be OK.

Are you watering to run off each day? e.g. ideal 30% run-off, left for 10 - 20mins then mop up anything remaining...

Can you measure your PH and EC?

How did you pot up your plants? E.g. I start in 0.5lt, then go up to 1lt, then 3lt, then 6lt... A small rootball put into a big pot full of coco will slow right down until its roots get a chance to pick up...

Are the leaves yellowing at the top or bottom of the plants? Nitrogen def typically shows on lower leaves first and creeps up, other problems show up higher up in the plant.

Are the leaves drooping or disscoloured in any other way... If your temps are iffy, you may get a lock out and that can show up as a multitude of defs.

Is new growth dwarfish in appearance?

3 people like this

1ml/litre of a and b doesn't sound much for a month old rooted clone.

How are you watering?

atb

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, Slugums said:

So slow growth and yellowing leaves...

Questions:

What are your temps like? Highs and lows at lights on and off...

What temp is the water/feed going into the pot at? Roots only work properly within a specific range - I know because I brought a plant's growth to a stand still because the water/feed was a bit too warm! They like 22c - keep them above twenty and below 25, you should be OK.

Are you watering to run off each day? e.g. ideal 30% run-off, left for 10 - 20mins then mop up anything remaining...

Can you measure your PH and EC?

How did you pot up your plants? E.g. I start in 0.5lt, then go up to 1lt, then 3lt, then 6lt... A small rootball put into a big pot full of coco will slow right down until its roots get a chance to pick up...

Are the leaves yellowing at the top or bottom of the plants? Nitrogen def typically shows on lower leaves first and creeps up, other problems show up higher up in the plant.

Are the leaves drooping or disscoloured in any other way... If your temps are iffy, you may get a lock out and that can show up as a multitude of defs.

Is new growth dwarfish in appearance?

Temps are anywhere between 18 lights off - 27 lights on I always aim for 18-20 temp of water I went from 1l pots straight into final pots which are 11l. I do get run off normally 30-40% and the e.c is around 0.8 my leaves started dieing at the bottom which has now changed to going yellow on the edges and curling under on the tips 

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, golf.007 said:

1ml/litre of a and b doesn't sound much for a month old rooted clone.

How are you watering?

atb

Hand watering mate with a maxi pump and hose line