Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Comrade Stoker

New Grow Cupboard

31 posts in this topic

Dont expect the air cooled hood to bring down the temps that much - on hot days when i was running a 400w the wood of the drobe gets hot and the aircooled hood made little difference temp wise and im sure the glass absorbed some of the light.  Good luck with the space.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Comrade Stoker said:

I appreciate the help folks. I am going to master this indoor growing lark. Its been a long time coming.

Could I use one of them Heavy Duty Timers, that are fit for up to 600w and are a contactor and timer in one?

I do, with no problems for over two years.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Comrade Stoker said:

Could I use one of them Heavy Duty Timers, that are fit for up to 600w and are a contactor and timer in one?

Yeah there's loads of contactor timer all in ones designed specifically for HPS loads out there, but you cant just use the bog standard "heavy duty 600w" ones you find in B&Q or wherever, as the ballast will spike a lot higher than that while firing up the bulb, which causes the contacts inside to fuse together with the small chance of electrical arcing leading to fire.

Edited by iBMe
2 people like this

I use the lumii heavy duty timers with no problems, I got them off amazon cheap :yep:

1 person likes this

I'm proper excited. Its the first time in my life that I am organised doing this. I will get the pictures up soon. I am doing a few hours work a day on it. I've mostly covered it in that prismatic Mylar stuff and I will be fitting the fan and lights this week. I want the experience to be a pleasurable one, so I'm preparing it all and designing it to be user friendly.

3 people like this

Namaste @Comrade Stoker

Wishing you luck brother, I get what you mean by that excited feeling too, I setup recently after a long break and have a tent full of vegging plants, cant quite believe it! :) 

Will be pulling up a chair for your new cupboard and following closely - bet you can't wait to get those seeds going!

2 people like this

@Comrade Stoker  mate, remember you telling me that you preferred sativas over indicas, so I too would suggest the 315CMH kit over hps,

the kit is dearer in comparison to hps kit but the extra outlay is worth it imo, plants finish earlier, lower temps in the summer, lower leccy use,

increased spectral light output which enhances the end result compared to hps grown weed, so if you fancy growing some banging sativas,

send the hps kit back & get a two lamp 315w CMH set up, you wont be disappointed  :yep:

1 person likes this

Have you decided what you'll be growing for your first crop yet?

maybe better with fems for your first grow mate, they are quicker to crop than regs as you don't have to wait until you've sexed them before flowering and every seed you germ will get you a viable crop at the end. good luck with whatever you decide to do anyway bud...

1 person likes this

Ive used a 400w ds hps in a smaller space, 90 x 55 x 150 cm, for a couple of yrs.

Tried an air cooled reflector, settled on a regular barn type, takes up much less room.I run the lights 7pm-7am.have a 150mm extraction controlled by a variac, which I haven't had to turn up above 70%. passive intakes and a 30 cm fan to circulate the air

While it's not ideal it kept me in smoke, that is until the lad started toking as much as I do....upgrade imminent.

If I was to start again I would get a 315 w cmh...I read a glowing report on here by Ot1 about them.

Smile grown through this recent heat wave.....large.smile4.jpg

3 people like this

On 9/16/2018 at 10:54 PM, Comrade Stoker said:

I'm proper excited. Its the first time in my life that I am organised doing this. I will get the pictures up soon. I am doing a few hours work a day on it. I've mostly covered it in that prismatic Mylar stuff and I will be fitting the fan and lights this week. I want the experience to be a pleasurable one, so I'm preparing it all and designing it to be user friendly.

All the best with it Comrade, I'm excited for you  :yep:

21 hours ago, desertshaman said:

Namaste @Comrade Stoker

Wishing you luck brother, I get what you mean by that excited feeling too, I setup recently after a long break and have a tent full of vegging plants, cant quite believe it! :) 

Will be pulling up a chair for your new cupboard and following closely - bet you can't wait to get those seeds going!

I'm just flowering now after not growing for just over a year and I'm excited as well :yes:  It's like it's all new again, they're just starting to get all sticky and smelly so I can't stop going upstairs to smell and touch them.  :wub: 

:smoke:

4 people like this

Cheers for the input everybody. I am growing Jamaican Dream and I have a Red Purp seed I think @craigfjyp, in the fridge. I have a pack of OT Smellyberry, and assuming things go my way, that will be grown after this lot. I need to get some decent smoke going. They may not  be the best strain, though for now, they'll do me just fine. 

Nice one @MK11 What do you tend to manage on each grow, in ounces? I am trying to work out what I need for the year and whether I can afford a few fuck ups. I know I will have enough, though got some has runs in mind and may even do a whole grow into hash.

Thanks for all the kinds word from everybody, I appreciate it, I started to do an @ to name everybody to thank them, but I've got a curry on downstairs. Thank you everybody. I can't fucking wait. 

Edited by Comrade Stoker
3 people like this

I grow in 100 x 57 x 170 ish, my best is over 10oz from two plants a better grower could pull a bit more I'm sure. Training is key in a small space.  :yep:

Unless you've already bought the five,  I'd go with a six inch fan and turn it down, it will give you a bit of leeway in hot weather and be quieter in general use, 400w is on the borderline of being too much in that space, in my opinion. 

Good luck with it all man, I can sense the excitement! What medium are you going to grow in? 

Edited by Captain Bonglington
2 people like this

23 minutes ago, Captain Bonglington said:

I grow in 100 x 57 x 170 ish, my best is over 10oz from two plants a better grower could pull a bit more I'm sure. Training is key in a small space.  :yep:

Unless you've already bought the five,  I'd go with a six inch fan and turn it down, it will give you a bit of leeway in hot weather and be quieter in general use, 400w is on the borderline of being too much in that space, in my opinion. 

Good luck with it all man, I can sense the excitement! What medium are you going to grow in? 

Hiya mate. I've already got the kit. Its not the end of the world for me to buy a new set up next year. Summer is over, so I can run a few grows between now and March. I think you're right on the borderline thing, but, fuck it, I can have the fan going like the fucking clappers with no major issue. I am going to train them, big time, physically, and perhaps even verbally.

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, Comrade Stoker said:

so I can run a few grows between now and March

You'll get two cycles in mate with regs or fems from seed, maybe three with autos. It's a big disadvantage with a small space, as I find, it's stealthy but limits your growing wishes a bit. :yep:

@Comrade Stoker

Hi buddy, best of luck with your new venture, I'll just sit quietly and watch...........:yep:

;)

1 person likes this