Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Comrade Stoker

New Grow Cupboard

31 posts in this topic

I've finally got an opportunity to grow indoors. I did grow indoors about 14 years ago, but it was a fuck up.

I have a space under some stairs. The cupboard is sloped and has the following dimensions:

190cm high (At the high point)

120cm high (At the low end)

55cm deep

120cm long

I think this gives me roughly a 1m3 space. 

I was going to extra about 250m3 per hour and use a 400W HPS Air Cooled Hood, going to a 5 inch fan. Does this all sound good?

3 people like this

That`s .66m2 floor space, I would go for a cmh 315w mate, they are cooler that the 400 and better imo

5 people like this

27 minutes ago, ratdog said:

That`s .66m2 floor space, I would go for a cmh 315w mate, they are cooler that the 400 and better imo

Hiya Ratdog.

I plan on using Air Cooled Hood and decent fan set up. Would that not keep it cool enough?

1 minute ago, Comrade Stoker said:

Would that not keep it cool enough?

Hello mate, I would still go for the 315, that`s over 50 watts per square foot and they are the bees knees mate

3 people like this

1 minute ago, ratdog said:

Hello mate, I would still go for the 315, that`s over 50 watts per square foot and they are the bees knees mate

I've already ordered the 400w Digital Ballast and Hood etc. I could swap over to a 315 at some point with that kit though?

5 minutes ago, Comrade Stoker said:

I've already ordered the 400w Digital Ballast and Hood etc. I could swap over to a 315 at some point with that kit though?

No mate, you need a ballast specific to the bulb with cmh.

3 people like this

Just now, ratdog said:

No mate, you need a ballast specific to the bulb with cmh.

Fuck it, will give a 315 a go at some point. 400 DS for now. I'll be OK though right? I am going to run maybe 3 plants in that space. I am not looking for anything spectacular on my first run. I have some Smellyberry OT seeds that I am going to use at some point, maybe my 3rd grow. 

I should be OK with this kit right? Removing between 250 an 300m3 per hour and 5 inch acoustic ducting, running from carbon filter, through Air Cooled Hood and out through fan.

2 people like this

It should be fine in winter, but if we have another summer like this one the intake may be too warm

the fan will be going like billio so bear that in mind

e2a, light intensity may be a bit much though, so you`ll have to train the shit out of them

Edited by ratdog
1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, ratdog said:

It should be fine in winter, but if we have another summer like this one the intake may be too warm

the fan will be going like billio so bear that in mind

e2a, light intensity may be a bit much though, so you`ll have to train the shit out of them

Thanks mate.

Its a room that nobody can really get into, so I can live with the fan going like the clappers. 

Nothing sounds dangerous with this set up does it? I am going to put fire suppression in too. 

7 minutes ago, Comrade Stoker said:

Nothing sounds dangerous with this set up does it?

Not to me mate

2 people like this

Sounds like a decent little space, scrog the shit out of it imo :)

ETA: Safety wise dont forget contactor. Maybe also a little automatic fire extinguisher to be extra safe.

Edited by iBMe
3 people like this

Not that I know anything, but nowt about that sounds dangerous (like a fire risk) to me :)

Fan noise is something to consider, though - even if nobody goes near it the sound of the extraction fan can still be an issue. Don't make the mistake of getting a cheapo 'can fan' like I did, without a voltage controller to turn the thing down it sounds like a jet plane taking off and makes the floor vibrate :doh: Even with acoustic ducting, it's the fan that makes the noise, not the airflow :doh: Cheapo fans are not good for stealth grows if you live in a flat with people above and below you lol

Edited by Boojum
5 people like this

Good point booj.

For my old grow drobe (a big old 120x80cm super solid Victorian wardrobe with a locking door), I found after much experimentation, that running a leepy boxed up 6" rvk at 40% using a variac, and using oversized 8" ducting (with a reducer obviously), made it almost silent, you could hear the small oscillating fan more than anything, a good tip to quiet them up a bit too is to remove the safety cage, they're more efficient without too, though watch the fingers and the plants lol

Acoustic ducting I found to be a pain in the arse and made very little difference imo as it still has all the ridges inside, which is where the noise comes from. Solid ducting thats jacketed is supposed to be the best afaik, if you can be arsed/afford to fit it.

4 people like this

I appreciate the help folks. I am going to master this indoor growing lark. Its been a long time coming.

Could I use one of them Heavy Duty Timers, that are fit for up to 600w and are a contactor and timer in one?

1 person likes this

There's a few quiet extracts that are just as handy to buy really .I was looking at buying a TD silent ,but I went with a hypro . They're cheaper now so fairly good value for money ,and they're pretty quiet. 

Folks will tell yo clip on fans die fairly fast ,and they're noisy .I found other desk fans the same size ,quieter ,just as fast ,and they burn 5 watts .They take a USB fitting and they're made from steel .Halfords ,Harvey Norman ,B&Q , and those types of shops usually have them .Might get a max /main thermometer there too . I'm just fairly impressed with the small steel fan .Thought it was worth mentioning .I'll be buying another one .

All the best with the grow. Spray for bugs too ,prevention's better than cure .

2 people like this