Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Lancaster8

Some questions about T5 lighting

19 posts in this topic

The LED lighting panel I had in my vegging tent recently failed, and I have replaced it with 2 x T5 panels. I have tried most kinds of lighting and have been amazed at how responsive plants are to T5 tubes.  I have seen many good reports about T5 lighting it seems to be true.  It is also very cheap in electricity. Now I have more questions. I e-mailed the manufacturer but haven't had any reply as yet.  The 4 X 2ft tubes in each panel are marked as "Pro light grow T5 F24W 865/HO (High output) xtra brite." The tubes that are fitted to the units will undoubtedly last for a long time,

but when they need replacing, I wondered if I can get suitable replacements from a local electrical wholesaler? I am a bit reluctant to buy tubes via mail order due to their fragility.  I wonder where exisiting T5 users get their tubes from? 

Also, I assume that the daylight tubes will only be of use for vegging.  I assume that different spectrum tubes will be necessary to use T5 for flowering. I saw just one seller on ebay offering coloured tubes for this purpose. I don't know if they would be necessary in the same way as with CFL's.  If the red tubes are necessary, where could they be obtained from?   Right now, I am contemplating doing away with the HPS in my flowering tent.  The flowering tent is very tall, and intended to keep the HPS well out of the way of the plants because of the heat.  Even so, it is 

still too hot in my view (circa 32C) and I was wondering if I should replace the HPS with more T5's? 

Any comments appreciated! Cheers! :smokin:

Oops!  - Have now got my answer from the manufacturer, but will post the reply here anyway in case it is of use to anyone else.

Good to hear your getting the correct results from our T5 units. I have spoke to many LED manufacturers and they will all have to admit at the moment T5 lights are the most efficient. Of course this will change in time but for the moment it is the best there is for purpose.

There are different temperature lamps available, 865 is the most common and come fitted as standard to our units. The optimum temp lamp for flowering in 827. It contains more red light to aid the flowering period. Both type lamps are available from any lighting store. Just request the correct temperature, there are several others 840. 835. So only to remember 865 for grow and 827 for bloom. 

3 hours ago, Lancaster8 said:

Good to hear your getting the correct results from our T5 units. I have spoke to many LED manufacturers and they will all have to admit at the moment T5 lights are the most efficient. Of course this will change in time but for the moment it is the best there is for purpose.

lollollol 

whens the last time this guy did any research.......... 1990

e3a. Ive got a 4foot 8 tube t5 in my veg room, 432 watts and i wouldnt entertain flowering with it

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
4 people like this

So the 865, 827 did he mention what kelvin they are? lol .. Have they really made up own numbers to make it hard to replace later ..:oldtoker:

The kelvin is in the number.  8 is the size 27 is the kelvin as in 2700k. 65 is 6500k

1 person likes this

56 minutes ago, Rampa Green said:

The kelvin is in the number.  8 is the size 27 is the kelvin as in 2700k. 65 is 6500k

Useful piece of information.  When you say that the 8 refers to size.  Can you clarify that a bit further please?  Thx!

I also found on one electrical wholesaler's website - the following information. I never knew this myself, so I daresay other people might also find it useful maybe...

827 = Extra warm white

830 = Warm white

835 = Standard white

840 = Cool white

865 = Day light

I was always mystified about all these different "whites" as without the code number they are pretty meaningless.

1 person likes this

The 8 actually stands for where it is on the cri ( colour rendering index). Think it’s to do with how well it displays the colour of the kelvin rating, brightness etc. More technical than I really understand. But 8 means 80-90 cri.  1 is mono colour and 10 is natural sunlight.  Google cri for more info

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Rampa Green said:

The 8 actually stands for where it is on the cri ( colour rendering index). Think it’s to do with how well it displays the colour of the kelvin rating, brightness etc. More technical than I really understand. But 8 means 80-90 cri.  1 is mono colour and 10 is natural sunlight.  Google cri for more info

Well you clearly know more than I do.  Always useful to learn something new. :)  Just remembering it is the problem! :unsure: 

Thanks for that!  :yep:

1 person likes this

I read in your soil thread your struggling to sustain your supply.

Might I suggest paying heed to my above statement about not trying to use T5s for flowering unless you want a very small harvest of not fantastic weed. 

I say this out of a position of genuine advice to someone in the hope of helping you get the medicine you need.

4 people like this

I second what Blackpool bouncer has to say.  He is a very knowledgable grower, not just for cannabis either.  I have used fluorescents before and you would be lucky to hit a quarter of a gram per watt.  I did hit close to half a gram per watt once, but I did use the larger 250watt cfl bulbs.  Fluorescents do produce an ok high & tasting bud, just not enough for the wattage. Hid (hps & mh) or cmh lights for the win in my opinion.  

Edited by Rampa Green
3 people like this

54 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Might I suggest paying heed to my above statement about not trying to use T5s for flowering unless you want a very small harvest of not fantastic weed. 

I say this out of a position of genuine advice to someone in the hope of helping you get the medicine you need.

This is really weird, as I was just about to ask this question to you directly - and now I don't have to - as you've already answered the question for me!  :)  Thanks very much! 

In my comments, I only said I was "thinking about it."  I was hoping for some comment +/- and that is what I have got.   

I really value the advice from experienced growers, and have the greatest of respect to you for sharing your knowledge.  I do listen and take notice. 

In the early days I only had one tent which had to be used for everything. It isn't mega-tall, so for flowering I generally used multiple high wattage CFL's to get lots of lumens without the heat.

Then, when I came to buy a specific flowering tent, I made sure it was very tall with the idea of keeping the HPS heat away from my plants. 

It still gets very hot. My single plant in there right now seems to be doing OK and isn't displaying any problems,

but it is still a bit on the warm side.

I know you can get cylindrical glass extractors for HPS, but I haven't gone down that road to date.  Not sure if it would be worthwhile or not. The top of my plant is still 3 feet away from the lamp, but the temperature is 32C at the base, and 

even hotter at the top. I am scrogging it to keep it away from the heat and also to create more bud sites. 

Cheers my friend!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Rampa Green said:

Hid (hps & mh) or cmh lights for the win in my opinion.  

Have just learned something else new.  I had no idea what cmh lights were, and have now read about them.  They look really good, although quite pricey to buy at the start. Thanks for that!

1 person likes this

@Rampa Green  After much research, I have now ordered cmh lighting thanks to you. It looks brilliant.  Thanks for the heads-up!  :yahoo:

2 people like this

Nice one @Lancaster8

im yet to upgrade, but intend to ASAP.

still on mh and hps lamps.  Good enough for now.  But enviously of your new light.  

You should produce some exellent cannabinoids  with it.  All the best

1 person likes this