Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


platinumbud

Cuttings root and suddenly shrivel up ?

27 posts in this topic
8 hours ago, Mr Green01 said:

@platinumbud

 

Let em live a little that's if they are able to root, if they do root  grow em out and see if they are mutant plants or just had a funny turn at the beginning. 

 

I've had plants that have done some weird and wonderful things like shrivel up, shoot single twisted leaves, some av recovered from the brink of death and still done well. 

 

I can't comment on leds as I've always use t5 for cuts. 

 

I've always kept my spare cuts in a glass of water under t5s  with no probs of rooting them at a later date, just make sure u keep a eye on them and change water every other day.

 

Ur clonex is it out by a few months or are we talking found a bottle in the shed exp date 2015. Rooting powder i ve used a few years out of date with no probs but not tried with  clonex. 

My clonex was old used lots but in date or just out January, I know there’s something in the water at present from the water board that causes ph drop enough for no ph down this if anyone has noticed seems to happen a few times a year I’m guessing it’s maybe Allgie treatment or something. Definitely not ph meter. 

Share this post


Link to post

@platinumbudHave u tried leaving the water for 24hrs then take reading and adjust if required. 

 

Farmer G has a point too cold does make them shrivel up as well,  is ur groom indoors or outdoors I.e shed/ garage. What's ur temps? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, platinumbud said:

died the same way stem drying up ect

The stem desiccating and the leaves wilting down indicates a fungal/verticillium/ damping off type infection. If this is the case all equipment used needs sterilisation.

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, oldtimer1 said:

The stem desiccating and the leaves wilting down indicates a fungal/verticillium/ damping off type infection. If this is the case all equipment used needs sterilisation.

 

Nice little nugget to stack away in the old noggin that one!

 

Thanx for the info ot1 

 

Tidy

Share this post


Link to post

Ot1 is spot on (as always) :yep:

 

I am curious if when you used the Clonex previously do you dunk your cuttings straight in the bottle, or did you pour some out & throw away the dunked gel? 

The reason I ask is that it is a big NO NO to dunk directly in the bottle, as you can easily contaminate it & thus might explain why it has gone so bad? :unsure:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Mr Green01 said:

@platinumbudHave u tried leaving the water for 24hrs then take reading and adjust if required. 

 

Farmer G has a point too cold does make them shrivel up as well,  is ur groom indoors or outdoors I.e shed/ garage. What's ur temps? 

 

I think around 20c temperatures for the water 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, oldtimer1 said:

The stem desiccating and the leaves wilting down indicates a fungal/verticillium/ damping off type infection. If this is the case all equipment used needs sterilisation.

Old timer 1 thank you for your interesting reply you could well be right I think I had something nasty like mold inside and maybe not cleaned properly it’s very old so maybe time for a new one and new rooter, would this only affect some cuttings ? Because certain varieties have been lost while 2 cuts are still alive of other varieties 

Share this post


Link to post

About ten years back the eu had all fungicides removed from rooting hormone formulas cheshunt compound a copper based soil fungicide was withdrawn round the same period so there is no longer a fungicide drench to treat rooting sowing mediums available to amateur gardeners.

 

When taking cuttings hygiene is very important your actual plant can hold an infection or fungal like spores on its surface tissue or virus internally. 

 

Commercially  standard practise means all tools from watering equipment through to cutting tools are sterile and kept that way, ie after every cutting the scalpel/cutter is sterilised and they still have access to hormones with fungicides.

 

For you anything could hold an infection from water/a water can/rock wool cubes etc in fact anything that comes into contact with cut or bruised plant tissue. 

So as others have mentioned your clonex could be infected if you have not been pouring out a small amount each time you make cuttings and discard  after a batch. Liquid rooting hormones are more likely to become a point of infection infected if good hygiene has not not used.

 

Generally puff cuttings are pretty robust and easy to root but are not immune to species of fungus-like organisms such as phytophthora and pythium are widespread as are true fungi rhizoctonia and fusarium. 

 

I have no idea how good your hygiene procedures, over the years I have seen it all, one grower soaked and ph'd down a tray is rock wool cubes, used some, then let the rest dry out  only rewet them a few months later and was getting damping off, ie he had no comprehension of keeping the cubes sterile or thought of using H2O2 to sterilise on the re soak.

 

@platinumbud I hope this helps you identify your problem  source, I can't really answer your question only you can because I don't have a clue what you have done and can only speculate, if its white threes inside the desiccated stem its probably  a form of phytophthora.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

@oldtimer1 is it possible to mix fungicide into a rooting hormone? Just for future reference? 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, oldtimer1 said:

About ten years back the eu had all fungicides removed from rooting hormone formulas cheshunt compound a copper based soil fungicide was withdrawn round the same period so there is no longer a fungicide drench to treat rooting sowing mediums available to amateur gardeners.

 

When taking cuttings hygiene is very important your actual plant can hold an infection or fungal like spores on its surface tissue or virus internally. 

 

Commercially  standard practise means all tools from watering equipment through to cutting tools are sterile and kept that way, ie after every cutting the scalpel/cutter is sterilised and they still have access to hormones with fungicides.

 

For you anything could hold an infection from water/a water can/rock wool cubes etc in fact anything that comes into contact with cut or bruised plant tissue. 

So as others have mentioned your clonex could be infected if you have not been pouring out a small amount each time you make cuttings and discard  after a batch. Liquid rooting hormones are more likely to become a point of infection infected if good hygiene has not not used.

 

Generally puff cuttings are pretty robust and easy to root but are not immune to species of fungus-like organisms such as phytophthora and pythium are widespread as are true fungi rhizoctonia and fusarium. 

 

I have no idea how good your hygiene procedures, over the years I have seen it all, one grower soaked and ph'd down a tray is rock wool cubes, used some, then let the rest dry out  only rewet them a few months later and was getting damping off, ie he had no comprehension of keeping the cubes sterile or thought of using H2O2 to sterilise on the re soak.

 

@platinumbud I hope this helps you identify your problem  source, I can't really answer your question only you can because I don't have a clue what you have done and can only speculate, if its white threes inside the desiccated stem its probably  a form of phytophthora.

Old timer1 thank you again for your reply, I think I probably need to do everything you said and start doing everything sterile, the clonex was used many times without pouring out a little. 

Share this post


Link to post

@crticalcontent  It would not be easy.  As far as I can remember  Dichlorophen was mainly used, it not only acts as a fungicide but is also germicidal, and antimicrobial. Its last amateur gardening use was withdrawn in 2006. 

 

I don’t think I would use something containing Dichlorophen  now as its very persistent, it also used to be used in a lawn moss killers, I think it may still be used as an anthelmintic agent for tapeworms/worms in human & veterinary medicine but not sure, I suspect mectins may be used more for anthelmintics now.

 

I don’t think clonex has an active anti fungal agent as such, the gel acts to immediately seal the stem stopping fungal ingress and infusing the coated end with hormone, so if the gel is infected it can infect the open stem on contact, the very thing its designed to stop.

 

Years ago I used to plunge all my cuttings in H2O2 to sterilise then use bio roota, the original formula was withdrawn in 06, those days are long gone, reformulation #3 of bio roota was withdrawn last year when the use of NAA (1-naphthylacetic acid) was no longer allowed for amateur use, good old eu.

 

Personally I stopped using roota in 06 after looking into its ingredients. 

 

I kind of wonder how long it will be before the clonex’s IBA (Indole Butyric Acid)  its active hormone is withdrawn from amateur gardeners use, while I don’t want to use these chemicals myself, but I hate the way nanny state, more and more tells us what we can and can't use.

 

Personally  I just tend to use as organic as I can, so use a sterile medium  and live expressed aloe vera gel  as a rooting dip, I mostly get 100% take, why use chemicals?

 

Sorry I couldn't answer your question.

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, oldtimer1 said:

 

 

Sorry I couldn't answer your question.

 

OT, as always an abundance of knowledge pours from your brain. I’d love to sit and have a smoke round yours, and pick that brain a little more. I used to be a professional gardener before illness took its grip. although I am still on good terms with the local farm supplies store which turns a blind eye to my chemical requirements. Only thinking about this because of the influx of clones coming from over the pond. Which I have a few of myself, of which seem healthy enough to be fair

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now