Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


platinumbud

Cuttings root and suddenly shrivel up ?

27 posts in this topic

Can anyone experienced with cuttings tell me if old clonex would cause this weird shrivelled up virtually after rooting? I’ve never seen such weird stuff happening to rooted cuttings, originally thought light with using led first time so I rooted more under the cfl as normal then noticed this sudden shrivelling up as they root , lost all the best cuts and what I’ve got maybe not keepers, it’s like they are poisoned. Rock wool cubes was used as normal. :wallbash:

Share this post


Link to post

Not sure mate I root cuttings in water. No high humidity or prop etc waste of my hard earned £££ we work hard and other people work harder trying to come up with ways to separate it from us lol 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I once tried water with no success, do you cover them in something?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, platinumbud said:

Can anyone experienced with cuttings tell me if old clonex would cause this weird shrivelled up virtually after rooting? I’ve never seen such weird stuff happening to rooted cuttings, originally thought light with using led first time so I rooted more under the cfl as normal then noticed this sudden shrivelling up as they root , lost all the best cuts and what I’ve got maybe not keepers, it’s like they are poisoned. Rock wool cubes was used as normal. :wallbash:

Ive used clonex years out of date and never had problems but maybe yours has gone bad, If i had any doubts of the integrity of any of my gear i would get all new and try again.:skin_up:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, platinumbud said:

I once tried water with no success, do you cover them in something?

You need to prevent rroots from light and also very little light is required or it will photosynthesize and not put energy in to roots and try to continue to grow using the reserves in the leaves. Hope that helps 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Clonex isnt the problem if it was they would have shriveled before they rooted.

 

Sounds like the mediums drying out to much to me causing wilt 

 

Farmer 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Are you just whipping the lid off as soon as you see roots? 

 

The sudden drop in humidity will cause wilt I've seen it myself.  They need a gradual opening of the vents over a day or two before the lid comes off completely.

 

Sorry if I'm teaching my nana to suck eggs like lol

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

@platinumbud

 

Have you got any pics mate? Also what were the roots like after the shrivelling? Your problems will be elsewhere if they were still looking good.. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, FARMER G said:

Clonex isnt the problem if it was they would have shriveled before they rooted.

 

Sounds like the mediums drying out to much to me causing wilt 

 

Farmer 

Totally wet through I always keep watching them for drying out, 2 that was out in the air fine suddenly went the same 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Billy2Hats said:

@platinumbud

 

Have you got any pics mate? Also what were the roots like after the shrivelling? Your problems will be elsewhere if they were still looking good.. 

The roots are fine and I’ve chucked them out unless it happens again although I’ve lost most all I have is a cm og and a sapphire og lost my 2 24k

Share this post


Link to post

To be fair then mate its a bit odd , could saturation of the cubes cause the wilt ? are the cubes really cold ?

 

Farmer 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, platinumbud said:

Totally wet through I always keep watching them for drying out, 2 that was out in the air fine suddenly went the same 

 

2 hours ago, Dodgee said:

Are you just whipping the lid off as soon as you see roots? 

 

The sudden drop in humidity will cause wilt I've seen it myself.  They need a gradual opening of the vents over a day or two before the lid comes off completely.

 

 

^ this this this.

 

I've had plants come out the prop and potted up and look like a bit of wet lettuce for 24 hours and then come back to life. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

That wouldnt cause them to die off though would it as the OP said he lost them unless i have the wrong end of stick lol

 

Farmer 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

@platinumbud

 

Let em live a little that's if they are able to root, if they do root  grow em out and see if they are mutant plants or just had a funny turn at the beginning. 

 

I've had plants that have done some weird and wonderful things like shrivel up, shoot single twisted leaves, some av recovered from the brink of death and still done well. 

 

I can't comment on leds as I've always use t5 for cuts. 

 

I've always kept my spare cuts in a glass of water under t5s  with no probs of rooting them at a later date, just make sure u keep a eye on them and change water every other day.

 

Ur clonex is it out by a few months or are we talking found a bottle in the shed exp date 2015. Rooting powder i ve used a few years out of date with no probs but not tried with  clonex. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, FARMER G said:

To be fair then mate its a bit odd , could saturation of the cubes cause the wilt ? are the cubes really cold ?

 

Farmer 

Everything seemed fine except not much condensation but they rooted then died days later in the propogator the others were ready for air and fine and suddenly died the same way stem drying up ect no heat problems cold or hot and years of experience so totally boxed 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now