Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bwm

Water?

I’m going to be growing in soil, what can I do to take the chlorine out of my tap water? 

Buy a reverse osmosis filter system, or let the water stand for 24 hours in an open bucket. 

Edited by Redeyezman
Typos
3 people like this

Reverse osmosis? Sounds like a crippling disease lol cheers for the info! Much appreciated. 

Buy a water butt, after 24 hrs standing most of the chlorine will be gone. 

2 people like this

Or just use it straight out of the tap, no need to complicate things.

I have always done this and my plants look amazing, I fill up the watering can with cold water from the tap, add a bit from the hot tap to get the right temp, add my organic nutes and then water the plants.

Edited by Smokebelch
10 people like this

You can buy stuff for use in aquariums that will remove chlorine/chloramines fast, you just add a few drops to the tap water.

If they just use chlorine in your area then standing (as mentioned above) will remove it.

Personally I don't do either and use straight council pop :)

3 people like this

The nice thing about a butt is the water has a chance to stand, get to room temperature and there's a water source a foot away from the tent! 

4 people like this

citric acid?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Muppet said:

The nice thing about a butt is the water has a chance to stand, get to room temperature and there's a water source a foot away from the tent! 

What about rain water butt? Ive got one already but its outside the shed.. maybe i could bring it inside.. i just asummed rainwater would be dirty after traveling through the gutterpipe.

Edited by JamJar
1 person likes this

I dunno about where you are in the UK... over here the rainwater is perfect for growing... EC 0.

Might be a different story over there what with all the pollution, acid rain etc. If allowed to stand, and with a basic mesh filter, rainwater in the butt would be great... all the shit - if any will sink to the bottom. Just make sure there's no leaves etc in the gutters, and collect away!

Leave some fresh fruit on the roof, and you'll get some bat shit for free! Mmmmmm, Guano......

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

What about rain water butt? Ive got one already but its outside the shed.. maybe i could bring it inside.. i just asummed rainwater would be dirty after traveling through the gutterpipe.

incidents like Chernobyl excluded, can't see any problems, i'd filter it first though! Wouldn't go much further than a pair of the missus' tights.

2 people like this

If you airate the water with an air stone and aquarium air pump the chlorine will dissipate in an hour or so!  

3 people like this

Thanks, I don’t really have room for a water butt guys so I guess I’ll just wing it. Cheers for all the info. 

6 minutes ago, SourGenetics_Nuggz said:

I take it if you don't have room for a water butt, your making your mixes in something like a 20L bucket?

Whatever your using, a simple method is to time your feeds so that you can fill it with water and wait at least 24hrs before mixing your nutes/ph in. 

So basically feed your plants first, then fill your water container and wait till next time you return to feed before making the mix then repeat.

If you add an air stone in there you will have even better results. 

Good luck :-)

I haven’t started mixing anything yet, but I do have a spare air pump now you mention it. I’ll probably use a five gallon bucket with a tap on the bottom and a tight fitting lid.