Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bubbleguppie

fan controller for 8 inch rvk

OK so I need to quieten my rvk 8 inch sileo down a bit apart from building a leafy box and then useing sound  proof foam before it goes in to the mdf box ( DIY build ).  I Also been told i can quieten the fan down by adding a fan controller ??? Ive noticed theres many choices in the old school way of hard wireing (but which one to go for?? ) ALso ive noticed a few companies npow do plug n play ones re ones that fit any mains plug then the fan goes into the plug conrolled speed as well as temperature .  Are these any good to do the job adiquitaly , is any one here useing them.  Or should i just get my sparky ( also a very good friend ) back in and wirer up a old shool one to the main room connector. Thanks in advance

If your fan controller costs less than £100 it is not the one you want. You want one that says the word 'variac' somewhere. It should be heavy from the huge wound transformer coil inside it. If it is electronic and not heavy then it will not quieten down an RVK. Just the parts should come to around £100.

I bought a variac from Amazon and wired it myself. It was fairly easy and a lot cheaper than getting one built.

I got this one (3.5A £95), it works great and now my fans are very very quiet. I just fitted a plug (and cable) and wired a 4-way extension socket to the output.

1 person likes this

fraid to burst your bubble microdoser as thats not a variac, its a 5 step STR voltage controller & is a different type of transformer in it.

1 person likes this

I recently bought the smartus Jcd-1000.

was 125 quid. Auto 5 step controller. Very impressed. Set the temp and the controller does the rest. No buzz at all

1 person likes this

@Rampa Green thats a nice bit of kit dude im guessing its quiet straight forward to wirer in ?? How does the temp gauge work im guessing re you set it manually and then it wil give you desired room temp ?? Also straight forward to wirer up too ?? Another reason for my self wanting to set the speed also then to elimante the humming. IS becuase I do its ideal but i have to drop the extract size from 8 inch to 6 . So it can be plummed into my existing through wall extracts.  I can appricate that this is not ideal. But for now it is my only option. So my thoughts were by reduceing the fan speed surely id be reduceing the back pressure build up from dropping the 2 inch. ?

Posted (edited)

Yes easy enough to wire,if you can wire a plug,you can wire this. I wired a socket for the fan to plug into and a plug for the mains power. Easy peesy.

there is a 2 metre temp probe to place where you like for monitoring the temperature.  Runs the fan about 50% when under the set temp, ups speed to about 70% if slightly over and 100% if more than 2 degrees over your set temp.  Then slows down accordingly as needed.

if you didn’t want the 8” fan to kick

in full whack then you could set the temperature higher than you need so it doesn’t kick in 100%.

Edited by Rampa Green
1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

SMScom hybrid pro

Solid recommendation. Looking to pick myself up one of these asap :skin_up:

2 people like this

build yourself a variac controller.

Ive just built  2 of them, one a manual dial adjusted one, and another twin fan job, which has a heater incorporated into it, and runs off a digital controller.

they are both a million times better than any of the overpriced crap controllers  ive had in the past, and I include stuff over 150 quid in this.

1 person likes this

@badbillybob  YOu ever tried the hybrid pro SMS? 

Posted (edited)

Nope, and I wouldn't part with 280 odd quid for one either,

Not when I can build one that would be every bit as good for around half that price, but if you've got money to burn, don't let me stop you.

My twin fan controller cost no more than 150 quid, and does everything the SMS does.

and also has a plug in heater function up to 2 kw electric heater. 

Edited by badbillybob
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Joint hogger said:

fraid to burst your bubble microdoser as thats not a variac, its a 5 step STR voltage controller & is a different type of transformer in it.

So I got the facts wrong, the logic is sound, hehe.

In my defense, it does describe itself as a "Variac Fan Speed Controller"

Edited by MicroDoser
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, badbillybob said:

My twin fan controller cost no more than 150 quid, and does everything the SMS does.

Does it ramp up every hour for a bit during lights off to combat humidity?

1 person likes this

obviously it doesn't, but ive never had high humidity issues due to my location, so I don't really need it to. 

and I wouldn't spend another 140odd quid for the privelidge

the highest humidity reding ive had was around 65%,  and that was with the humidifier on.

ive got a dehumidifier if I do ever have issues, but ive not used it yet, its a bit of a grow room ornament 

On 8/23/2018 at 0:33 PM, monkeypig said:

SMScom hybrid pro. All the controller you'll ever need!

It might cost a few quid, but for numpies like me when it comes to electronics it`s the bollocks, changed my growing situation completely.

4 people like this