Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JordySmoke

First Time Grower - Need a Wee Bit Of Help

32 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

Super excited to grow my own bud! Been reading this forum for a little while which has been very helpful but thought I would start my own topic for some personalized help.

Right! So... I have just purchased my seeds (LowRyder #1 They didn't have and #2s) and tent which is a 60x60x140.

I am now looking for recommendations for Lights, fans & filters. Once I get the whole setup sorted then I will then start looking into what soil, nutrients etc that i will need any recommendations on those would be amazing too!

The budget for the lights, fans & filter is around £120 if that helps?! Light wise I would like to keep the heat/electric bill low don't fancy a knock on the door haha!

Looking forward to talking with you (Supper excited for this, has took me 3years to convince the Girlfriend!!) and getting some answers! :)

*Just to add I will be growing 1 plant maybe two but no more than that, Can you grow from start to finish with a full spec LED? I can also go more than 120 but that's a good starting point

Cheers!

JordySmoke

Edited by JordySmoke
more info

You need to up your budget I guess, fan and decent filter with ducting will eat that up alone.  Be sure to select a fan/filter kit which already has a plug on it as many do not.  You will need a 4" kit, be sure they supply the jubliee clips and ducting so you can join it all together.

I would personally blow off the lowryders but if you want something that grows no bigger than 16" tall then its the one for you ! Judging by the size of the tent I would opt for Cream Mandarine XL ;)

Lights are very much discretionary, whether you go for CFL, HPS, or LED.  You will have to research and decide for yourself, however based on budget I would say look at a 250w HPS.

Best of luck ! 

9 minutes ago, Inspiration101 said:

You need to up your budget I guess, fan and decent filter with ducting will eat that up alone.  Be sure to select a fan/filter kit which already has a plug on it as many do not.  You will need a 4" kit, be sure they supply the jubliee clips and ducting so you can join it all together.

I would personally blow off the lowryders but if you want something that grows no bigger than 16" tall then its the one for you ! Judging by the size of the tent I would opt for Cream Mandarine XL ;)

Lights are very much discretionary, whether you go for CFL, HPS, or LED.  You will have to research and decide for yourself, however based on budget I would say look at a 250w HPS.

Best of luck ! 

I could go to £200 would rather not go over that if possible, you've got up up by 80 quid already haha!

Honestly I was a little overwhelmed with choice and I chose lowryders as i've heard of them for years, Small, Easy & low odor... First plant once shes grown I will move onto something more exciting :) I will keep that in mind, In fact i'm going to google Cream Mandarine XL once i've replied to you!

I've put a little shopping list together on ebay? Not sure if i can post ebay or a link? but what do you think of these??

Carbon Filter Kit with extra intake fan for £89.99 which ill get 15% off;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Filter-Fan-Kit-Extractor-Inline-Duct-4-5-6-8-for-grow-tent-light-heat/232207966443?hash=item3610ac60eb%3Am%3Amfjk39rDYfcnbZZHQWCCqoA&var=531418390764

Or this cheaper on without extra intake;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-In-Line-Fan-Carbon-Filter-Duct-Kit-Hydroponic-Grow-Room-Tent-Ventilation-Plug/261420111950?epid=1355405738&hash=item3cddda584e:g:5j0AAOSwucVbO4NS#rwid

NOW FOR LIGHTS

200w CFL Dual Spec with hood for £49.99 also 15% off;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261954776429

or this one from your suggestion:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250w-Grow-Light-Kit-Omega-PRO-V-Ballast-HPS-Dual-Spectrum-Lamp-Reflector-Shade/232812759565?epid=20005026948&hash=item3634b8ca0d:g:yqwAAOSwYS9ZY9q1

Would any of them be sweet? if so which? or do you have any thing in mind i should go for?

1 person likes this

In this instance, for sake of ease as a first grow, the cheaper without intake - just open a vent on the bottom so air will be sucked in which will happen when you have the fan/filter setup up top and sucking it out the top.

For lights, definitely the 250w HPS. 

That will give you a nice starting point.  

I have read up on the lowryders and I am really concerned about them and their end size......way too small for your 1 metre worth of overhead space you should have once set up.

1 person likes this

Ideally, and if you want to play it well safe - Rhino Pro 4" kit would be my definite preference......You get what you pay for in terms of a higher quality and standard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rhino-Pro-Carbon-Filter-Kit-4-5-6-8-10-12-Aluminium-Ducting-Hydroponics/253051505753?hash=item3aeb0b8c59%3Am%3Am9EMxxKvVCqjWvyBNQKZQuA&var=552121220272

Something like that.  Be sure the fan has a plug already fitted unless you are electricity savvy ;)

Edited by Inspiration101
1 person likes this

Buy cheap and you WILL be twice.

Find a deal on a RVK fan & rhino filter (as a bare minimum)

With 15% off it probably come in around the same price or not much more than what yr paying and will shift twice as much air rendering an intake fan unnecessary. The filter will outlast a hobby lobby and keep you out of jail.

Tuppence only obvs it's yr cash/skin

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

Buy cheap and you WILL be twice.

Find a deal on a RVK fan & rhino filter (as a bare minimum)

With 15% off it probably come in around the same price or not much more than what yr paying and will shift twice as much air rendering an intake fan unnecessary. The filter will outlast a hobby lobby and keep you out of jail.

Tuppence only obvs it's yr cash/skin

That is true! but sadly for now I cant (well not allowed to spend too much) will update when and needed but for now if does what i need it for im happy!

22 minutes ago, Inspiration101 said:

Ideally, and if you want to play it well safe - Rhino Pro 4" kit would be my definite preference......You get what you pay for in terms of a higher quality and standard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rhino-Pro-Carbon-Filter-Kit-4-5-6-8-10-12-Aluminium-Ducting-Hydroponics/253051505753?hash=item3aeb0b8c59%3Am%3Am9EMxxKvVCqjWvyBNQKZQuA&var=552121220272

Something like that.  Be sure the fan has a plug already fitted unless you are electricity savvy ;)

That is a really good price on that, i have heard of that brand on here before!

Do you think that 250w HPS kit and that rhino kit is a good start then? Shall i order? (I need to order before 8pm as that's when the deal runs out!

Is the head room to much?? damn! i didn't know that, even if i drop the bulb down? why is it too much?

1 person likes this

I agree with @Inspiration101 lowryders aint all that mate... My mate done some about 8 odd years ago, he showed me the pics, lol all i can say is i really wouldnt bother with them. Saying that though, it would be a good plant to start and learn from, just dont expect much yield  

Cant help you with the leds but wish you good luck with it all

Growing your own really is the way forward, knowing that you dont have to buy random overpriced bags of weed

Plus its a fucking great hobby!!   :headbang:

Edited by bubbly82
Hi by the way, welcome along
1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, bubbly82 said:

I agree with @Inspiration101 lowryders aint all that mate... My mate done some about 8 odd years ago, he showed me the pics, lol all i can say is i really wouldnt bother with them. Saying that though, it would be a good plant to start and learn from, just dont expect much yield  

Cant help you with the leds but wish you good luck with it all

Growing your own really is the way forward, knowing that you dont have to buy random overpriced bags of weed

Plus its a fucking great hobby!!   :headbang:

Awesome I will stick 250w light and RVK fan and filter in the basket!  Yeah I'm not expecting much from the little tiny plant but i wanna start cheap, small and simple plus as you said itll be a huge learning curve then Ill move onto something more interesting, bigger, tastyer etc :D

Just so happy the thump has been lifted on this one haha... what changed her mind was we moved to far away from the guy i used to get my herb from so found a new guy and honestly there was as much sand in the baggy as there was weed... I threw it out and traveled to my trusted guy... to far to do it on the regular so want to grow my own :) least i know its all natural! etc etc..

2 people like this

250w HPS + 4" Rhino pro kit is the way forwards.  The specific one I posted a link to I now read does not come wired - So hope you know what wire to connect to what, probably easy to find out if you post a few photos up on this forum ;)

Edited by Inspiration101

18 minutes ago, JordySmoke said:

Is the head room to much?? damn! i didn't know that, even if i drop the bulb down? why is it too much?

When I say you have 1 metre headroom, of course you lower the light and raise it over time, just you could grow a nice size 1 metre big plant, not something that grows to just 0.4 metres tall.

You have lots of spare headroom.

Just now, Inspiration101 said:

250w HPS + 4" Rhino pro kit is the way forwards.  The specific one I posted a link to I now read does not come wired - So hope you know what wire to connect to what, probably easy to find out if you post a few photos up on this forum ;)

Awesome thanks for your help man! means a lot! ahh not coming wired doesn't bother me can sort that out no problem... i would rather it then i can have as much lenth as i want without an extension lead!

Do you recommend any good strains for my size of tent, bulb etc? also with that bulb could i grow 2 of those wee lowryders?

1 person likes this

I feel bad for you growing Lowryder, I have to mention it again.  Time is short on this planet, I implore you not to waste your time on it, splash out 20-25 and get something more 2018 ;)

1 person likes this

Ah man its a shame that grit weed is still around... Sad times indeed

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Inspiration101 said:

When I say you have 1 metre headroom, of course you lower the light and raise it over time, just you could grow a nice size 1 metre big plant, not something that grows to just 0.4 metres tall.

You have lots of spare headroom.

Ahh right i got you now haha! Yeah the plan is after my first grow is to get a nice plant that will use the space :)

1 person likes this