Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Nath90

Help..Plants drooping.

31 posts in this topic

Hi all

Bit of a puzzler for me.. got some plants seem to be droopy at the bottom, top half are half heartedly a bit perky. 

Was originally perky and happy at the start! 

I'm sure its not over/underwatering (switched timer off and dried out for a day) put it back on as normal for a feed and took longer for run off than normal so gathering not over watered. 

Does over fertising cause droopyness?

Leaves are abit darkish..

Ec is 0.6 coming out 0.7-0.8

pH is 5.5 coming out 5.6 (In Rockwool)

Rh - 65+ 

Temps 24-28'c 

Water 19'c 

If overfeeding wouldn't the run off be higher than 0.8 that's coming out? 

Also I'm sure they slowed up on growth aswell..

Hopefully some expert could help as I've had an absolute headache trying to work it out! Ha 

can you post some pics mate....

you will get a more accurate answer if you do.

Sorry forgot pic... Heres one couple days ago. Are better than that now. I'll get recent one tonight.  IMG_20180811_104750_zpsbl35w025.jpg

Rockwool perhaps too saturated causing the drop i would say.

How often to you have your pumps feeding ? also leaves can drop like that if to dry but you say the rh is 65% + so that shouldnt be the cause.

I would have a look at your feeding times etc maybe getting to wet or too dry between feedings.

Farmer 

2 people like this

Thanks for info farmer.

Feed 3 times when lights on in the 18hours.

If that's too much what would you do just feed the once a day and see what happens?? Or would you leave to dry out intill they perk up again and start from there again with one feed and see how they go? 

Get puzzled as when I see forums or even the grodan info on rockwool. Most of them are blasting theirs like 6-7 times a day and having no problems. (So they say) 

Cheers farmer appreciate it.

Im not a hydro grower so i can only offer the most basic of advice in regards to this problem your having.

There will be someone who can correct me or diagnose your problems better, water timing doesnt sound like too much to me if anything sounds to little , whats the duration of the feed 15mins/30 mins ? 

Farmer 

Yeah, any help is good thanks mate..

Feed timing is actually only on for a minute.. I haven't got drip stakes in its just the 4mm timing direct into rockwool. Chuck's out a fair amount in a minute. I get around the 20/30% run off stated for rockwool. 

Does this sound right or wrong? 

Not a hydro grower either but im prettt sure the media has to be damp at all times.. not meant to let it dry out

Oh right.. I thought needed a bit of dryback to encourage roots to grow? I'll have a play about and see what happens.  

Might sling the drippers back on see if I'm watering it to quickly?? 

Hopefully some hydro growers come along and see what they say. 

Thanks for the input appreciate it.

Personally, I grow with my roots suspended in nutrient solution 24/7. Maybe pour a little solution onto the Rockwool, keep it moist for a day and see if they perk up?

Posted (edited)

Could be low ph. 5.5 is bit Low Imo.. also do you have the res for solution  bubbling at a all ?

Edited by Arthur Mix

4 hours ago, Nath90 said:

the 4mm timing direct into rockwool

There's your problem bud..............bloody rockwool, the devil's own that stuff............anyways..........

5 hours ago, FARMER G said:

Rockwool perhaps too saturated causing the drop i would say.

Yup spot on....:yep:....rockwool is used only as a support during early stages until roots are through and into whichever system you're using.

Once the roots are established the rockwool needs to dry out, consider a pot full of soil which is constantly being saturated, the principle is the same.

I'm assuming that is a diy nft/dripper system with the rockwool blocks sitting in a gutter/trough?

If so, I tried this years ago and the solution pools against the blocks as the roots grow leading to guess what...........overwatering.........which is what you've got  :yes:

If you currently have a good root system through the blocks I would suggest raising them slightly, couple of cm should be enough to allow the nutes to flow

underneath without touching the blocks but feeding the roots, that way you could leave it on 24/7 if you wished. Just don't water the rockwool.........:yep:

I binned rockwool after having the same problems and moved on to clay pebbles and mesh pots, you could use the same in your system......

Hope this helps bud

atb

stu  :oldtoker:

Thanks all..

Stu914 this is my 4th grow in rockwool slabs and like you say haven't got any easier! lol

I've had good results but this time I dunno whats happening. Reckon going to let dry out and go from there see if they perk up then start watering again. 

Get this grow over with then look into rdwc or something but they are soooo expensive! 

I'll get back to you all in couple days see if they come alive.. fingers crossed !

1 person likes this

Ohhh also if anyone could help.. my water chillers started coming up with P1 on the front screen. Im sure it's not working!?

Any one know? 

It's all going well isnt it!! lol

Do you ph the rock wool before you make a mix up etc ? Did you use blocks and then place them into slab? The grooves cut on bottom of cubes should be same orientation as flow or it can slow flow... I still think 5.5 is low , I used to only go as low as 5.8 when I ran gutters years ago..:oldtoker: