Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Go flying

Aerating plain water?

18 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I’m growing happily in soil in Air-Pots, using RO water.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether there is any point in trying to increase the dissolved oxygen content in the watering cans  by using an air stone and pump for a while to bubble the water before using it.

Thanks for any suggestions

1 person likes this

Hi bud,

Simple answer, no.........

:oldtoker:

3 people like this

My water comes straight from the tap, no standing for 24 hours or anything like that. Add nutes and pour in the pots. Plants look good :) 

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Hi bud,

Simple answer, no.........

:oldtoker:

Ok, I”ll take the bait... what’s the complicated answer and why not

24 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

My water comes straight from the tap, no standing for 24 hours or anything like that. Add nutes and pour in the pots. Plants look good :) 

I used to do that before I learned better. Yes, plants are incredibly resilient to all the bad stuff in our water and will grow fine in tap water. But when you want to grow as best a plant as possible, you’ll find that the chlorine (and fluorides)  in your water pretty much kills off all the beneficial microbials that you’d really want to try and maintain in your soil. They make a huge difference to yield and quality.

Edited by Go flying

1 person likes this

@Jimboo that’s an interesting video and would seem to indicate that the water in that tester’s area in Canada is very lightly chlorinated.  Levels of chlorine can and do widely from area to area, and from country to country so I’m not convinced that the chlorine I can actually smell in my tap water, and which was placed there by the water company to reduce bacterial activity, would mysteriously have no antibacterial activity as soon as it left the tap. Doesn’t make sense.  You’d think that if there was no antibacterial benefit to adding chloramines to water, the water companies would be the first to save money for their shareholders and stop using unnecessary additives  in the water.

1 person likes this

Just now, Go flying said:

@Jimboo that’s an interesting video and would seem to indicate that the water in that tester’s area in Canada is very lightly chlorinated.  Levels of chlorine can and do widely from area to area, and from country to country so I’m not convinced that the chlorine I can actually smell in my tap water, and which was placed there by the water company to reduce bacterial activity, would mysteriously have no antibacterial activity as soon as it left the tap. Doesn’t make sense.  You’d think that if there was no antibacterial benefit to adding chloramines to water, the water companies would be the first to save money for their shareholders and stop using unnecessary additives  in the water.

I know mate and it is an outdoor situation as well which might have an influence on the results 

1 person likes this

Its a fair point .Tea and coffee tastes pretty poor from town water ,compared to soft water areas ,and lime water areas ,no treatment plant just pulled from an underground well .Smelling chlorine at the sink isn't right surely ?.I see farmers at the co-op buy it to clean milking parlour equipment, and as a contact weedkiller and moss killer .All in one ! 

It just burns most weeds but kills moss .

2 minutes ago, Jimboo said:

I know mate and it is an outdoor situation as well which might have an influence on the results 

Besides which, the video talks about a 30%  variation in results as being statistically insignificant which just shouts out that the qualitative and quantitave analytical methodology or equipment isn’t fit for purpose. It looks to me like tester’s confirmation bias, when occam’s razor should have given him a pretty big clue as to what’s going on.

the dissolved oxygen content of the water which you aereate would not last in the water for the length of time it would take to get the water from your aereation tub to the plants, so aereating it to increase DO would be a waste of time. 

2 people like this

10 hours ago, Go flying said:

you’ll find that the chlorine (and fluorides)  in your water pretty much kills off all the beneficial microbials that you’d really want to try and maintain in your soi

I beg to differ. Never mind that Alberta gardener numpty but every scientific study I have come across backs up what he says. 

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

I beg to differ. Never mind that Alberta gardener numpty but every scientific study I have come across backs up what he says. 

Yes, there are plenty of skewed and flawed scientific studies out there. But you are trying to tell me that the water companies add (relatively expensive) chloramines to water just for the hell of it?  Or maybe they’re using highly intelligent and selective chloramines and ammonia???

To quote the CDC:

Chloramines are a group of chemical compounds that contain chlorine and ammonia. The particular type of chloramine used in drinking water disinfection is called monochloramineMonochloramine is mixed into water in levels that kill germs but are still safe to drink.

germs aka bacteria

So make your mind up... either chloramines kill (some) bacteria or they don’t. Which is it?

Edited by Go flying

Posted (edited)

Water straight out of the tap is fine, I have done it for years and my plants couldn’t be anymore healthy than they are, people really do like over complicate things.

This plant has only been watered with water straight out of the tap and it’s a picture of health. I literally fill the watering can out of the cold tap, add some water from the hot tap to get the temp right, add my organic nutrients and then water the plant. I can’t see how letting water sit for 24 hrs of bubbled with oxygen would make a blind bit of difference.

large.D927DE95-8329-40D9-8092-E9A88EEBEB

Edited by Smokebelch
5 people like this

14 minutes ago, Smokebelch said:

I literally fill the watering can out of the cold tap, add some water from the hot tap to get the temp right, add my organic nutrients and then water the plant. 

Yep, and it`s probably the cheapest easiest way to get the feed to the right temp

2 people like this

@Smokebelch those sure are nice looking plants.

dont get me wrong. When you get to grow consistently in the 1g/w range, any improvements are going to be in the order of fine increments. Yes, it’s a case of diminishing return on investment of additional time, money/kit etc

I’m just looking at relatively inexpensive ways to max out growing potential.

1 person likes this