Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

badbillybob

next years plots

20 posts in this topic

hello stoner chums. 

I was out today tending my rather opoor plants, and because it was a half decent day I went to investigate the surrounding countryside, looking for some suitable plots, as you do.

I walked down this roadlarge_a4.jpg

at the end of this road is the main road, so I am hoping this will deter the deer, I hope.

The point where I took the photo from I looked to the right where I saw this tree on left is about 100m from path, ground very uneven, it has drainage channels cut into it, but doesn't look waterlogged or any sign of marsh grasses etc. obviously I wouldn't be growing anything here, because it can be seen from the path.

Further on I went, found the little nook just round the corner, with plenty of stingy nettles, but a bit shaded maybe.

large_a10.jpg

ooh looks interesting, so I trudged thru the grass etc to the tree at the left of the pic and looked left, where I was met by this glorious sightlarge_a9.jpglarge_a6.jpglarge_a5.jpglarge_a7.jpg

ooh fuck I thought, that would make a great plot for next year, its hidden, at least 100 m from the path. So fairly happy I started back to the car. Then when I got near the main road I spotted what looked like an open area, set back from the road, hidden by trees etc. 

Worth a look I thought, so off I trudged to be greeted by this little doozy.large_a13.jpglarge_a12.jpglarge_a11.jpg

so that's next years plots sorted. 

If I manage my target of a whole joints worth from the autos ive got out, im gonna give it a shot, with some decent hardy autos next year. 

Start em in the tent and plant them out end of May.

Im gonna have to import all the soil tho, because the stuff here is very acidic, due to being near the sea, but on the plus side, its only 5 minutes from my gaff. Lovely job.

Anyone else found plots for next year yet?

14 people like this

Looks like a winner! Plot hunting is always exciting, anywhere i go i cannot help but scour for plots... Fortunately my plot this year ticks all the boxes.. (So far)

anyway, one thing you could do this year before the season ends is go and thin out some of them trees.. Climb up and top them half way (they dont look that big?) then plant some of the cuts in the ground around your plot and some/most will root for next year.. It gives you extra light from the topped trees plus extra security for the plot :yinyang:

4 people like this

It helps too broadcast limestone in new areas if the soil pH is too low.

I just ordered a pound of red clover seeds yesterday to upgrade a location I started working on last year.

Good Luck

1 person likes this

Looks good to me.....

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, BLhaze said:

Looks like a winner! Plot hunting is always exciting, anywhere i go i cannot help but scour for plots... Fortunately my plot this year ticks all the boxes.. (So far)

anyway, one thing you could do this year before the season ends is go and thin out some of them trees.. Climb up and top them half way (they dont look that big?) then plant some of the cuts in the ground around your plot and some/most will root for next year.. It gives you extra light from the topped trees plus extra security for the plot :yinyang:

climb up trees and top them. That's a good idea, but not really possible for me.

if only I could man. But unfortunately my knees resemble 2 broken thermos flasks, and I cant even climb a loft ladder., never mind trees.

It looks like there is plenty of space, and lots of light getting to most areas anyway.

I was thinking about putting plants in various locations. Just randomly spreading them around, but away from the trees.

Altho im gonna be using mainly autos, I think i'll empty out the seed box of quite a few freebie photo seeds, and seeds that are lower down the scale of "what I want to grow.

ive still got a load of stuff from my mud growing days, like a huge bag of perlite, chicken shit, blood fish bone, phospherous, mychorizal  G4 etcetc, so I will just use it up in the soil mix which will go in around about Late May.

im looking forward to it already

1 person likes this

Im very tempted to have a go at a gg next year, plenty of open space nearby (south wales). Its just about me not being too lazy to get out there and find a decent plot.

Especially after seeing some of the results on here, its a no brainer really :yep:  

1 person likes this

I like the last picture. It looks like a great potential spot!

However, if you grow autos, they'll be small and rather vulnerable to deer and wild hogs. You could try protecting them with some chicken wire?

Did you bring a compass? That way you'll know for sure whether or not the trees will be blocking the sun.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

the deer might be a problem, as I found a couple of lies in the long grass by the 2nd plot, but the path to this plot goes directly through where I planted a couple of plants this year, and the deer have not touched them. Chicken wire will be used. I havnt seen any signs of rabbits here, which is a bit strange.

The plots are not far from the main road, only about 500 metres plot 1  & 200 metres to plot 2, in the first pic, you can see a gate at the end of the road- that's the main road too. 

We don't have wild hogs in Scotland, so I should be safe enough mate..

The areas are pretty large, but I would put them in south facing locations

I would start the autos indoors, if only for 2-3 weeks to get them up to about a foot, but before they start flowering, then plant them out.

Anyone see a problem with this idea?

Edited by badbillybob
2 people like this

It's a no from me.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

why?

Edited by badbillybob

Well my first thought was that it seemed very easy for you, or anyone else, to get to. But then I grow in quite a densely populated area, so if doesn't involve hacking through brambles someone is going to find it.

Also, when an area is just grass and bigger plants - brambles, ferns - haven't taken root I always wonder why not. Is the land used to graze livestock or horses every so often?

4 people like this

the area is in the middle of a forestry commission forest. its about 2 miles from the nearest village (population 1600).

I pass the end of this road most days, and in 8 years ive seen very little in the way of people there.

ive seen a few  horses and the odd dog walker going down the path before now, but the areas ive found are around 2-300 metres from the path, and lead to dead ends and nothing could get any further, so the chances of someone else going down there are pretty slim, I reckon.

the 2nd plot is accessed through a thick pine forest, via a narrow deer track between the trees. you are constantly ducking and diving to prevent getting a face full of tree./gorse/ ferns etc.

the soil is going to be imported by me to the plant sites, because the stuff there is too sandy.

I have another couple of options, but I think these are safe, personally.

1 person likes this

It sounds ok. Keep an eye on the grazing thing though, farmers sometimes have bits of land that they only use for animals once or twice a summer. If nothing has munched on that grass by harvest time you’re probably good 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Its a Small world billy bob....   even smaller when u post your lat then detailed directions and pics to your grow site....... Think ill pop up next year and see how your getting on lol 

Without giving away to much that path leads to lime*****  lol

Way too many dog walkers there dude, just takes 1 to run off into the woods.....  

Edited by garry sheilds

That last picture ,no one's been in there I'd bet .Not since the machinery two decades ago . You can encourage a few briars to grow at the easiest entry points or most directional paths ,the paths the deer make.  Throwing a few fists of chicken pellets or any pelleted fertiliser will give you cover and even help cover your own trail after lugging materials into the site . If you haven't already looked ,check it out on google maps and bing and even the forestry websites might have their proposed sites for felling or thinning documented so you might know if they're due soon . 

Definitely worth letting sun in ,thin it out a little on top .A bowsaw is your only man .

2 people like this