Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bwm

Filter/Fan Size?

32 posts in this topic

Good day ladies and gentlemen, ones head is fu*king bamboozled by negative pressure, fan sizes, filter sizes ect. Need a little help if possible, my insulated grow box size is 2ft x 2ft by 5.5ft high. What size/make fan and filter should I be looking at to control smells? Also I plan on a passive intake, what size should my intake vents be?

excuse all the daft questions but there’s only so much my pea brain can handle! 

Many Thanks, Bwm.

What light source you running mate ?

I would assume something relatively small in that space with those dimensions

A 4" rvk and filter *(brand of your choice) would suffice but if you can get away with a 5" and can get a controller then i would do that as i would always over size where possible.

Also in regards to the passive intakes if i remember correctly and this has my brain going lol  its 4/5 times the extraction so that would be the equivalent to 4/5 holes around 4" in diameter.

Farmer 

5 people like this

29 minutes ago, FARMER G said:

What light source you running mate ?

I would assume something relatively small in that space with those dimensions

A 4" rvk and filter *(brand of your choice) would suffice but if you can get away with a 5" and can get a controller then i would do that as i would always over size where possible.

Also in regards to the passive intakes if i remember correctly and this has my brain going lol  its 4/5 times the extraction so that would be the equivalent to 4/5 holes around 4" in diameter.

Farmer 

Cheers farmer, 250ish watts of L.E.D. 

A good 4" (not the £20 rubbish) fan & filter should do it. :)

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

A good 4" (not the £20 rubbish) fan & filter should do it. :)

Any suggestions mate? I was looking at a 4” rvk with red scorpion filter.....passive intake.

I would over size it too, and work it off a controller.

That way it wil be a) quieter, and b) an automatic upgrade if the 4 incher wasn't to cope..

Added benefit is your filter should last longer too, as its not being run flat out all the time.

5 people like this

2 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

That way it wil be a) quieter, and b) an automatic upgrade if the 4 incher wasn't to cope..

Added benefit is your filter should last longer too, as its not being run flat out all the time.

Cheers mate, I’ll check out the next size up and see how I am for room. 

29 minutes ago, Bwm said:

Any suggestions mate? I was looking at a 4” rvk with red scorpion filter.....passive intake.

Rvk make some good fans, no experience of Red Scorpion tho. 

22 hours ago, badbillybob said:

I’ve been told my 4 incher handles things quite well. But that’s just my Mrs opinion. lol

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Bwm said:

I’ve been told my 4 incher handles things quite well. But that’s just my Mrs opinion. lol

lol

What are you smoking tonight mate lol

Definitely got to get myself some of that shit!

You’d be surprised to hear that I haven’t smoked anything in years.......apart from the one time I played that party game at Micheal Barrymores house. I’ll never play another cigar smoking game blindfolded again,it took a week to get the taste of shite outta my mouth.

I suppose I ended up better than that poor fella Stuart who was promised a game of volley-ball in the pool. I could’ve sworn they called it volley-bum though?? 

Ok, need a bit more info if someone could help me out. I managed to lay my hands on a 6” rvk. It was noisy as hell but I replaced the bearings and now the sound level is more than acceptable. My problem now is filter size. Can I bosh a 4” filter onto it? If so, how? And is it an acceptable thing to do? 

3 minutes ago, Bwm said:

Ok, need a bit more info if someone could help me out. I managed to lay my hands on a 6” rvk. It was noisy as hell but I replaced the bearings and now the sound level is more than acceptable. My problem now is filter size. Can I bosh a 4” filter onto it? If so, how? And is it an acceptable thing to do? 

You can buy adapters. I was using 5” RVK on a 4” Carbon filter.  I don’t think it’s wise putting a 4” CF in on a 6” fan. 

If if I was you, get the correct size filter to maximise your extraction. 

Regarding noise, once you have connected the carbon filter & the ducting  to the fan, it’s much more quieter. More of a low hum.

if you use acoustic ducting, it’s even more quieter. 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Pau176 said:

You can buy adapters. I was using 5” RVK on a 4” Carbon filter.  I don’t think it’s wise putting a 4” CF in on a 6” fan. 

If if I was you, get the correct size filter to maximise your extraction. 

Regarding noise, once you have connected the carbon filter & the ducting  to the fan, it’s much more quieter. More of a low hum.

if you use acoustic ducting, it’s even more quieter. 

Cheers for the reply, ok I don’t have huge amounts of room....hence why I wanted to put a smaller filter on. Is it ok to go to a five inch? Or should I really stick with a six?

My fan only pulls about 430 so Could I match a five inch fan using this extraction rate? 

Don't put a bigger fan onto a smaller filter mate, you'd be overworking it and late in bloom, you would notice it too ;)   Can do it the other way around though fine :yep: 

4 people like this