Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The lone stoner

Common spinosad preparation sold in UK?

A while back I was given an unlabelled medicine bottle I was told contained spinosad. I cannot contact the person who gave it to me to find out the dilution strength, and searching online only gives me advertisements for products containing spinosad. I thought it was a brand name rather than a substance, and that I would easily be able to find out how much of it to use.

It is a clear, virtually odourless liquid with the viscosity of water. Any ideas what it could be? I'm thinking of trying 10mls per litre but am concerned it will damage the plants, a big worry for me currently because I don't have backups and need to reclone too, but on the other hand I am done with poxy thrips and would completely kill this grow and start again if required, but I'd rather not.

I think @FarmerPalmersNT might have some knowledge of this?

Spionosad is used as ingredient  in Ant killer. Captain Jacks if you can find it or know someone who visits the states a lot is what you want. 

What is spinosad?

ants.jpg

Spinosad is a natural substance made by a soil bacterium that can be toxic to insects. It is a mixture of two chemicals called spinosyn A and spinosyn D. It is used to control a wide variety of pests. These include thrips, leafminers, spider mites, mosquitoes, ants, fruit flies and others.

Spinosad has been registered for use in pesticides by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) since 1997.

What are some products that contain spinosad?

Currently, spinosad is found in over 80 registered pesticide products. Many of these are used on agricultural crops and ornamental plants. Others are used in and around buildings, in aquatic settings, and as seed treatments. These products are commonly sprays, dusts, granules, and pellets. Some of these products are approved for use in organic agriculture.

Spinosad is also found in some drugs regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration. These products are used to control head lice on people and fleas on dogs and cats.

Always follow label instructions and take steps to avoid exposure. If any exposures occur, be sure to follow the First Aid instructions on the product label carefully. For additional treatment advice, contact the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. If you wish to discuss a pesticide problem, please call 1-800-858-7378.

How does spinosad work?

Spinosad affects the nervous system of insects that eat or touch it. It causes their muscles to flex uncontrollably. This leads to paralysis and ultimately their death, typically within 1-2 days.

actually it isn't clear and thin, it's quick thick and kind of whitey yellowish.I'll try 2ml per litre maybe 10 is a bit much.

Spinosad smells kind of like wet dirt, weird explanation but if you smell it you'll know what I mean. I've only ever used the cheap ant granules in the past, as the solutions are generally ridiculously over priced. Hard to say what you have, to be honest if its unlabelled pesticides I'd steer clear! Some horror stories out there that start much like your first post :unsure:

1 person likes this