Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Werewolves_are_rad

First time auto user, what advice would you give?

Hey folks, total newbie here, I'm just approaching the end of my first grow (pics in my gallery) and am thinking of starting off some autos next to have a speedier turn around.

I learned a lot along the way with my first grow but I know that autos aren't as forgiving of mistakes, so what would you veteran growers say to someone in my situation?

Can you recommend some good autos? I'm a big sativa fan & autos seem the only way I can get them to fit in my tent without cramping. My last seeds were ordered from Zamnesia & so far have turned out great so I'll likely order from them again.

Thanks in advance folks, this forum is great!

2 people like this

A lot of folks say that Autos are less forgiving to grow, and that may be true, but if I can grow 'em then anybody can! Dinafem's 'Moby Dick Auto' is sativa dominant and is a lovely plant - highly recommended :) 

4 people like this

In my experience autos are easy and straightforward to grow, same as with photo's don't over water or give too much nutrient wise and they'll take care of themselves.

It sounds to me like you're over thinking things, all you really need is plenty of light and you're good really.

Enjoy the grow and learn from it this year so you can then carry that knowledge over to next year.

Good luck mate:yep:

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Breeder selection is more important than ever when growing with autos.

They are made by crossing photoperiod strains with ruderalis strains. Good breeders will do this over multiple generations, selecting those individuals with the desirable traits to go forward each time. When it is done well the result is consistency in the end product, in terms of taste, yield, high etc.

Poor breeders may not follow this process for as many generations, or be so selective. This leads to inconsistency and poor quality in the end result. The flowers might retain traits more like the ruderalis ancestor, like low THC content and bad flavour.

When growing photoperiods, there is sometimes more tolerance of variation in phenotypes, since you can clone and keep anything that you would like and grow it in larger quantities over multiple cycles. With autos, each seed will yield a particular amount in one cycle and that is the end of that. If you pick a particular variety and grow an auto version, you want each seed to produce the correct qualities of the strain since there is no opportunity to look for mothers.

Autos are a recent innovation in cannabis seeds and the market is still very much developing. They are rising fast in popularity and many new breeders are producing them, and there are massive variations in how exactly they are doing it. Some breeders are known for their stability and reliability in autos.

Dinafem have one of the best reputations and a wide variety of lines. Dutch Passion are also leaders and innovators in autoflowering plants, just as they were with feminised seed a few of decades ago. I have had good results with Sweet Seeds from Spain, who I also see getting lots of positive feedback. Mephisto are also based in Spain though I understand they have British roots, and have an enthusiastic fanbase and document their breeding process for many of their lines on another internet forum.

Aside from this, growing the plants is mostly the same. They like the same environment, light, food etc. They are unforgiving in the sense that if anything slows them down early on, they do not get a chance to recover. The first few weeks are very important in a way that it isn't with photoperiods, which can be slowly rooted out and potted up under less intense lights, and vegged for as long as necessary. With autos, the strategy should instead be to avoid them getting rootbound by getting them in a big pot early on, and putting them in the bright light as soon as possible.

I have recently completed my second auto grow, previously having done multiple photoperiod strains from seed. For me they are fantastic for a number of reasons. I have limited headroom, and I find their structure is much more suited to this. The light doesn't need to be off for so long so the environment can be kept stable more easily, and in winter especially more cheaply due to less heating requirement. The speed which you mention is another big factor for me, as I am using a guest bedroom to grow in. Someone can stay with me, and then come back 12 weeks later, in the meantime I can produce a few ounces, dry it and pack it all away again. I am really impressed with the advances that the professional breeders have made in recent years in autoflowers. You can get great results and benefit from their work, just so long as you pick some good seeds to start with.

You have some nice looking big buds in your gallery so you do seem to know what you are doing, even if you've not been doing it long - I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck, enjoy your first harvest, have fun choosing what to grow next!

Edited by delagdo
7 people like this

my advice is ;

1) use a good root stimulant product.

2) Don't over water them

3) don't over feed them 

4) start them in their final pots - this is a bit contentious, but ive always done this and never had any problems

7 people like this

Blackpool bouncer. Check his kit, he does it right.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Roll a fat one, pop your reading specs on. It's a long read but covers just about everything on how to grow big autos and make the most of them in my humble opinion.

Best of luck and if you decide to follow the above and have any questions feel free to drop me a PM or an @. I stand by my methods and like to see others achieve the same or better. It's why it was written, to help others grow the best medicine and if you take the time to read what I have to say then I have time to help.

Have a nice day folks and may the growing God's be with you 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
8 people like this

Thanks for all this info folks! This site is amazing!

Blackpool bouncer, Jesus that thread is mental mate, it'll take me forever but I'll get through it all when I'm off work :)

3 people like this

I'm in the same position, I'd like to grow sativa dominant strains but I don't want to have to employ a lot of training. 

I was consistently recommended Dinafem, mephisto and Dutch Passion. 

I'm the end I've picked DP Durban Poison, Cinderella Jack and Think Different. From Dinafem I chose Moby Dick. I planted the seeds 2 days ago and all 4 have popped. 

1 person likes this

On 24/07/2018 at 4:03 PM, blackpoolbouncer said:

Roll a fat one, pop your reading specs on. It's a long read but covers just about everything on how to grow big autos and make the most of them in my humble opinion.

Best of luck and if you decide to follow the above and have any questions feel free to drop me a PM or an @. I stand by my methods and like to see others achieve the same or better. It's why it was written, to help others grow the best medicine and if you take the time to read what I have to say then I have time to help.

Have a nice day folks and may the growing God's be with you 

THIS IS ALL YOU WILL EVER NEED TO READ TO LEARN HOW TO GROW AND DEAL WITH AUTOS                      "PERIOD"

1 person likes this

On 7/23/2018 at 0:17 PM, Werewolves_are_rad said:

Hey folks, total newbie here, I'm just approaching the end of my first grow (pics in my gallery) and am thinking of starting off some autos next to have a speedier turn around.

I learned a lot along the way with my first grow but I know that autos aren't as forgiving of mistakes, so what would you veteran growers say to someone in my situation?

Can you recommend some good autos? I'm a big sativa fan & autos seem the only way I can get them to fit in my tent without cramping. My last seeds were ordered from Zamnesia & so far have turned out great so I'll likely order from them again.

Thanks in advance folks, this forum is great!

Hey there Werewolves_are_rad !

In my opinion, Autos are great outdoors since they are more stealthy and can be harvested earlier. However, they require more light than photoperiod strains indoors, so your power bill will be higher. The turnover won't be quicker than if you were to grow some vigorous hybrids such as an Jack Herer directly in 12/12.

Plus, autos are less forgiving, the slightest deficiency or issue will directly impact your yields.

Cheers mate,

1 person likes this