Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

craigfjyp

how do you know when homegrown spuds are ready?

as the title says....

i bought a few packs of the seed potatoes from wilko's, i can't remember what they were though, i think 1 was maybe "king Edwards" and the other was maybe just "seed potato", iv grown them in the potato planters you buy from wilko's for a couple of quid for a 2 pack, anyway they have got massive and are taking up just about the whole of the greenhouse, do i need to wait until September for them to be ready(when they will be even bigger) or will they maybe be quicker with being in pots?, they have started to flower already i think, they are getting lots of like canna ball sacs growing on it now so i was hoping they might be ready so i don't have to worry about damaging it taken them out the greenhouse.....

T.I.A

If the soils not too compacted just stick your hand under and have a feel, usual harvest time for spuds in the west country is the school summer hols so they could well be ready.

1 person likes this

once the flowers have died back and the leaves start to yellow ..is how we used to do them .bigger spuds more yellow die back .

2 people like this

Agree with what has been said, have a feel around once flowers have died off.  Make sure to give the soil lots of water (avoid the leaves), it will be bloody hot in a greenhouse, spuds are normally grown outdoors this time of year. 

I have been growing a 10 months supply of spuds for the last 5 or more years.  Hope u enjoy your crop, u can't beat the taste of a homegrown spud, king edwards taste nice too but are very prone to blight.