Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alan Johnson

152mm core drill ducting size

Posted (edited)

Wondering if anyone can shed some light for a 6 inch air intake hole i want to drill, using a 152mm core drill.

I was going to use plastic solid ducting, but i have just noticed that the external diameter of the ducting is actually 156mm.

Setup is going to run with like this:

6" (150mm) Wall Fascia Soffit Vent Grille or 6" (150mm) cowled vent - outer wall

Ducting

6" (150mm) Plastic Ducting Wall Plate with Spigots - Inner wall to fan

I am struggling with the best type of ducting to use between the cavity to use now that i cant use plastic ducting?

Or do i need a bigger size core drill to accommodate a 6 inch intake? 

Really quite confused about the best action to take to get a 6" intake hole sorted?

Appreciate the help, and if you need any more info, or have any better suggestions i really appreciate it.

Edited by Alan Johnson

would a 4" hole and a 4" to 6" fan reducer not work mate or would that not pull enough air through the 4" ducting ?

10 minutes ago, doobie01 said:

would a 4" hole and a 4" to 6" fan reducer not work mate or would that not pull enough air through the 4" ducting ?

Truth be told i want the hole bigger than needed to future proofing. 

So i really only want a 6 inch hole, just in case.

Looking into it further i think maybe a 160, or 162mm core drill is needed to accommodate. Any views from anyone else?

you can get a 160mm core drill bit you know ? tho its more expense, failing that you only options are to drill the 152mm hole out

& use ordinary ducting squeezed in to fit on the cowl from outside , Hopefully the cowl fits the 152mm hole & you live on the ground floor  lol

or you could drill the 152mm hole out & use the drill bit to try & widen the hole or you could use a hammer & chisel,

then once the solid ducting fits in the hole, seal it all in with sealant or mastic, these will stop bugs getting in & isolates any vibration.

Hello dude, I use core drills all the time and they are noisy as fuck and dusty unless it's the wet kind which I doubt it if you are coring from inside out, if there is dust extraction happy days, a vacuum does fuck all for dust extraction believe me, also you can't really use a micky mouse drill especially if the brick is wet seeing as the dust will collect and jam the bit if you don't Reem it out like fuck. If you need a core bit you are sometimes better buying a set than the single bit required, maybe a rothenberger set or Ox spectrum set. 

My advise is mate is don't go out the wall if it can be avoided because a vent coming out anywhere else on a wall other than the bathroom wall is a suspect vent. 

I bought the manufacturers purpose made roof tile vent (bring a spare roof tile if you can) for around 30 quid, a stadium wall core vent retails around 12 to 18 pound so not much of a difference. 

I opted to go through the roof above the bathroom so it expels the air at the highest point of my house and it would appear to be the bathroom vent. 

Hope this helps broski. 

I hired a core bit and sds drill and it was fucking hard work but it works, yes it`s messy but worth it, I have two on different walls, just put proper vent covers on and that should be fine, mine have been there nearly ten years without drawing attention, one is right between the flats in my back yard near where my neighbour sits drinking his coffee in his garden, the other faces the street and is on a shared path, if it looks professional no one will say anything, if they do say it`s for the tumble dryer.

For the love of god do not use a dry diamond core bit on sds they aren't designed for sds, it will ruin the teeth maybe break off and if you hired it you'll be charged 

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, TheGreenShabeenReturns said:

For the love of god do not use a dry diamond core bit on sds they aren't designed for sds, it will ruin the teeth maybe break off and if you hired it you'll be charged 

Ok, so it wasn`t sds, but it was a designated drill for the purpose as supplied by the hire company, it had a clutch type thing I think

e2a, I don`t know much about drills apart from the ones I use for mixing adhesive need to be at least 1700w, after that I couldn`t say. Thanks for the correction.

Edited by ratdog

Haha all this talk about drills is exciting me, stop it stop it.... Boing 

What can I say I'm one of those boring cunts who gets tools for his birthday :toldya:

@Joint hogger

Helpful as always mate.

Found a local hire company that does a 160mm.

I want a clean cut so would rather spend more and get it done properly than have to do any hacking away to make it fit.

@TheGreenShabeenReturns

It will look very inconspicuous, and will just look like a bathroom extractor vent, but i appreciate the help. 

Just a case of getting it done now.

Really appreciate the assistance :)

1 person likes this

Screw fix do a vent kit which is solid telescopic ducting and 150mm mate if that's what your after.