Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

greenestfingers

Should I cut my "losses" and chop tomorrow?

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

large_129.jpglarge_119.jpglarge_120.jpgSo basically I believed some hype about cheap LED's and bought a MEIZHI 600w reflector series. Plants were great in veg, had 8 in total (2 turned out to be males). Flower was a different story, the low yield got me hoping it was gonna pack on in the last couple weeks but alas, this was not meant to be. I'm inexperienced but by looking at my 6 girls I feel like I may be lucky if I can get one oz per plant. So on Thursday I threw the hps600 in next to the LED. Now I have clones ready to fill the tent with a SOG method, 20+ right now. I believe they have pretty much all rooted. So my question, do I chop and stick the clones in this Sunday (8 weeks of flower) and get those clones in with a better light set up, or do I continue my HPS late addition until the 9th week. Looking at the plants they could go another week maybe but they could easily be smoked next weekend after a dry also so it's a tough one. Do I potentially add some yield or do I just get on with the next one? Help very much appreciated.

Peace

Edited by greenestfingers
Words
3 people like this

25 minutes ago, greenestfingers said:

Do I potentially add some yield or do I just get on with he next one? Help very much appreciated.

This is the reason I think a lot of people are wary of using led, my mate is having the same issue,

they are fine or even outstanding in veg but when it comes to flower seem to lack the power to finish the job, the quality is high, not necessarily the yield.

I've never used them so can only give an opinion but would leave them under the HPS for another week or two and see if they fatten up,

looking at them I would say they should and I reckon it's worth risking the extra time. What strain are they and what's the breeder's estimated flower time?

:oldtoker:

3 people like this

1 minute ago, stu914 said:

This is the reason I think a lot of people are wary of using led, my mate is having the same issue,

they are fine or even outstanding in veg but when it comes to flower seem to lack the power to finish the job, the quality is high, not necessarily the yield.

I've never used them so can only give an opinion but would leave them under the HPS for another week or two and see if they fatten up,

looking at them I would say they should and I reckon it's worth risking the extra time. What strain are they and what's the breeder's estimated flower time?

:oldtoker:

Yeah I should have spent the extra money and gone for a 630 CMH to be honest.

So we have 2 sherbet cookies, 3 Smile f2's (subbie seeds) and one Silver LA. I believe all have an 8-9 weeks finish time so it's just a case of going the full 9 weeks you feel then? 

Many thanks for your input.

Peace

1 person likes this

Personally I would leave them until they are ready,  it seems pointless going through all the effort of growing them this far and chopping them when they aint ready.  LEDs are great for quality but not so great for quantity, I use LEDs as supplemental lighting to increase the quality over the normal HPS, i'v had some of the nicest hash and BHO since adding my LEDs 

5 people like this

The problem with the oem blurples, is they use bullshit watts as a measurement. Now the problem with bullshit watts, is they're just bullshit.

3 people like this

Just now, Key said:

The problem with the oem blurples, is they use bullshit watts as a measurement. Now the problem with bullshit watts, is they're just bullshit.

Agreed, the actual draw is a lot lower than 600w, I think they use the diode wattage added up to get the 600w name if I remember correctly. Lessons have been learned, I wish I had only used it as supplemental lighting in the flower stage.

Peace

5 minutes ago, Tigstar82 said:

Personally I would leave them until they are ready,  it seems pointless going through all the effort of growing them this far and chopping them when they aint ready.  LEDs are great for quality but not so great for quantity, I use LEDs as supplemental lighting to increase the quality over the normal HPS, i'v had some of the nicest hash and BHO since adding my LEDs 

So you believe leaving them in with the HPS for another week and a bit could add to yield?

Peace

3 people like this

4 minutes ago, Tigstar82 said:

See, there's loads we agree on.............:rofl::rofl:

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, greenestfingers said:

So you believe leaving them in with the HPS for another week and a bit could add to yield?

Peace

Yeah the final few weeks is when most plants bulk up the most,  I have a cheese X white widow big bud (Cheedow) which only bulks up in the final weeks, up to that point they look pointless

2 people like this

Gentlemen thanks for all your input. uk420 has spoken, the plants live for another week.

In the meantime what do I do with the clones? Should I pot them up and split them between below the canopy and the clone cupboard? They won't all fit in the clone cupboard once potted up and the roots are poking through!

Peace

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, greenestfingers said:

Gentlemen thanks for all your input. uk420 has spoken, the plants live for another week.

In the meantime what do I do with the clones? Should I pot them up and split them between below the canopy and the clone cupboard? They won't all fit in the clone cupboard once potted up and the roots are poking through!

Peace

They should be fine for another week, I often do clones for other people and have kept clones for a month+ in lil 2 inch rockwool cubes while waiting for them to be picked up by friends so just a week should have no lasting ill effects at all

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, Tigstar82 said:

They should be fine for another week, I often do clones for other people and have kept clones for a month+ in lil 2 inch rockwool cubes while waiting for them to be picked up by friends so just a week should have no lasting ill effects at all

Thanks a million! Will do just this then.

Peace

2 people like this

You worked so hard and like others say just leave them until they are ready.

1 hour ago, greenestfingers said:

Agreed, the actual draw is a lot lower than 600w, I think they use the diode wattage added up to get the 600w name if I remember correctly. Lessons have been learned, I wish I had only used it as supplemental lighting in the flower stage.

Peace

How it works with LEDS is the big figure (300,600 etc,) is the theoretical maximum the LED array can handle (ie 300 = 100 x 3w LEDS). A more reliable measure of how much light a unit will throw out is the amount of current it draws, a '300w' panel will give more light (and heat!) if 150w is put threw it than if you put 100w through it.

Lots of strains bulk up a lot in the last couple of weeks, HPS is good for bulking so fill ya boots. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@greenestfingers

Well i can definatly say blurples are not the way to go but... if you do get an oz off each plant thats 168g of bud on your first grow... thats a bloody good job mate. 1gpw is a target for a semi experinced grower imo ita not a beginners target lol

Keep ur blurple for veg (like me lol) and get urself a flower setup.. either hps, cmh or quantum boards and u will only get better. 

Keep us informed on how it goes :)

Atb

JJ

Edited by JamJar
1 person likes this