Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Werewolves_are_rad

When should I stop feeding & flush?

16 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I switched to flowering at the start of June. 3 Northern lights and one critical. I'm wondering how long I should keep feeding them, they've been in flower for about 6 weeks now.

large.PSX_20180712_110318.jpglarge.PSX_20180712_110213.jpglarge.PSX_20180712_110009.jpg

3 people like this

@Werewolves_are_rad Hi, mate nice flower you have there, normally 2 weeks before they're done. Some people flush for a week it's up to you, personally, I flush for 2 weeks Hope this helps:yep:

1 person likes this

I'm intending to do a 2 week flush, just not sure if I should start it now or wait another bit!

You haven't mentioned what type of grow you are doing, but as a general rule, flushing is unnecessary.  All you are doing is starving the plant.

Those are going very nicely but they aren't ready yet.  The amount of flower time specified by seedbanks is always way under.

4 people like this

52 minutes ago, squirrel said:

You haven't mentioned what type of grow you are doing, but as a general rule, flushing is unnecessary.  All you are doing is starving the plant.

Those are going very nicely but they aren't ready yet.  The amount of flower time specified by seedbanks is always way under.

I agree.

I very recently, like in the last 10 minutes, found an actual research paper on flushing cannabis(PDF download) where they had a control (no flush) and flushed plants and they did a lab analysis of the resulting plant tissue and found that "flushing had no effect on reducing tissue nutrient accumulation between flushed crops and control (a crop that wasn't flushed)".

it is summarised on this page.

To my surprise, they also found it did not reduce yield, and had no effect, positive or negative, on THC production or quality of dried product.

So now I know that people can flush, or not, as is their choice and it will have no effect.

6 people like this

Cheers @MicroDoser, I'm going to save that  link and ping it to anyone who asks in future, nice to have handy :)

1 hour ago, squirrel said:

It's completely organic in soil, if flushing isn't necessary I'll keep feeding bloom each watering. 

I'm guessing I have another 2 weeks at least before harvest, what do you reckon?

Thanks for all the info guys, it's my first grow & this site has been invaluable

You definitely don't need to flush in compost.  A lot of us only feed plain water for the last one or two waterings, but that's more superstition than science.

1 person likes this

It doesn't mean to say you can feed full nutes and pk and all the boosters the shop had for 8 weeks and then think you don't need to flush because it makes no difference. 

The smoke will still be rough as fuck. 

You have to ease up and ease down with the feeds so by the end of flowering the feed is much weaker and the plant will then use its own reserves up in its leaves till all that is left is the fat buds. 

The last week or 3 or 4 days I like to do just water to then starve the plant of any feed and force it to use its last bits of reserves. 

But I like to overcook mine a little so the plant is done anyway when I switch to water only. 

But the last 2 weeks of a plants life are when its packing on the most weight onto the buds. 

Giving it zero feed at that point , when it needs it is not helping it grow them fat buds. 

Taper down 

zz

4 people like this

I would personally, if you are running organic, just give them a very weak feed for the last week or two tapering off to just water the last few days. Your pot will contain nutrients, your plant will contain nutrients. Even if you give them water with literally nothing in, they will still get some nutrients from the soil, and they have a good reserve inside themselves.

What you want to avoid is strongly green plants when you cut, the chlorophyll will be very harsh to smoke and will require a lot more curing to get smooth smoking buds.

like @zztopbudzsays, taper off at the end. I would say though to not overcook things in the middle, the plants have a maximum strength feed they like and more is less at that point.

1 person likes this

On 12/07/2018 at 4:42 PM, MicroDoser said:

I agree.

I very recently, like in the last 10 minutes, found an actual research paper on flushing cannabis(PDF download) where they had a control (no flush) and flushed plants and they did a lab analysis of the resulting plant tissue and found that "flushing had no effect on reducing tissue nutrient accumulation between flushed crops and control (a crop that wasn't flushed)".

it is summarised on this page.

To my surprise, they also found it did not reduce yield, and had no effect, positive or negative, on THC production or quality of dried product.

So now I know that people can flush, or not, as is their choice and it will have no effect.

Very interesting read :yep:.....Im sure I read a thread where OT1 was discussing this very topic with another senior member.....I have always tailed off from week 6 (on an eight week schedule) and flushed for a few days in just water....... but in RDWC surely after reading this any flushing is completely unnecessary???

2 people like this

Wouldn't university have been a pure joy to go to if your thesis to get part of your masters degree was how grow weed properly

:thumsup::thumsup::thumsup:

4 people like this

13 hours ago, zen-ken said:

Very interesting read :yep:.....Im sure I read a thread where OT1 was discussing this very topic with another senior member.....I have always tailed off from week 6 (on an eight week schedule) and flushed for a few days in just water....... but in RDWC surely after reading this any flushing is completely unnecessary???

From how I understand things, like most things, it is not a simple 'do this' but is a little more complicated.

If you want to smoke your buds when they have only just dried without waiting for a cure, then you should stop feeding nutrients to your plants so they can start to cure whilst still alive. Whatever you do, curing your buds is essential to a smooth smoke. The normal process people go through at the end of the flowering cycle is essentially a partial light cure where the plant uses up some of the elements it needs to photosynthesise and as this process slows and stops, the plant starts to cure, leading to a smoother smoke not long after harvest and without any extra curing after the plant is dry.

If you are not impatient then you can just cut your plants, dry them to the right point for curing, trim and jar them, and after curing (4-6 weeks) you will have buds that are just as nice to smoke. If you cure properly then the cured buds will also be stronger weight for weight than uncured buds, as the buds will have lost mass through out gassing and conversion of starches to sugars and so the percentage of THC in a gram will increase, although the total amount of THC will not.

This has caveats, being that if you overfeed your plants then they can be too full of chlorophyll and require a much longer cure. Another is that if you dry your plants too fast or so they are too dry then you can 'lock in' the chlorophyll and with it a harsh smoke.

If you are not confident in being able to dry to the right point, at the right speed, and to allow a proper cure then you might get a better quality of weed by starting your cure whilst the plant is still living. Then at least you have some curing going on rather than none.

So to answer your question, yes flushing is completely unnecessary as long as you do not overfeed your plants, dry them slowly to the right moisture point and do not overdry them, jar them whilst they still have some moisture left in so they can carry out the metabolic processes involved in curing, and then leave them an appropriate amount of time to cure. If this is done then from my experience there is no difference in the quality of the end product.

I have not flushed for decades as I learned proper curing decades ago. A lot of people who who get passed a blunt from me comment on how smooth it is to smoke.

3 people like this

@MicroDoser

Ty....a comprehensive reply as always :yep: 

I am tasting first hand in the last grow I where I left too much chlorophyll in due to overfeeding (as you know,saw and helped me get through :yep:)

@MicroDoser interesting opinions, I was always of the thought that curing was just the final part of drying, achieved by slowing down the process to a suitable degree.