Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

calif123

Speed grow

39 posts in this topic

Hi,

I started to grow 5 Super silver haze and 1 white widow about 2 weeks ago using hyrdro DWC method. Then I discovered I will need to move house in about 2 months!

I know I chose a sativa which takes a long time, but what hope do I have of finishing these before I have to move? I really don't want to bin them after spending so much time/money thus far... Am I better off swapping them out for a quick growing variety?

Is there anything that can be done to get smaller but faster results?

Cheers

No.

The White widow may be done if you flip it now (if you haven't already). The Silver Hazes are likley to take longer than 8 weeks. You could cut them down early & take what ever bud you get from them. Obviousley won't be the same as fully matured bud. If I were you i wouldn't start anther grow that close to moving. Trimming multiples plants just before moving home sounds horrible. I would take cuttings from each of the plants & make bonsai mums out of them so you can transport them easily. When is your new abode take cuttings from the little mother plants & start the grow again.

5 people like this

if your moving in 2 months its to late imo to start another batch of seeds, the ones you have you could flip them now but even if you do the ssh will still be a good 4/5 weeks early, you might be lucky with the ww, you can get some 8 week strains but i assume your plants are only just at the seedlings stage so even if you did flip now the ww would probably only get to about 8-12in tall so tbh it would probably not be worth spending the money to keep your tent running for what you are going to crop at the end of it.

can you not move into the new place sooner? the quicker you've moved the faster you can get another grow on the go....

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, craigfjyp said:

if your moving in 2 months its to late imo to start another batch of seeds, the ones you have you could flip them now but even if you do the ssh will still be a good 4/5 weeks early, you might be lucky with the ww, you can get some 8 week strains but i assume your plants are only just at the seedlings stage so even if you did flip now the ww would probably only get to about 8-12in tall so tbh it would probably not be worth spending the money to keep your tent running for what you are going to crop at the end of it.

can you not move into the new place sooner? the quicker you've moved the faster you can get another grow on the go....

My plan is a bit up in the air at the moment. What effect does doing it in hydro have? I've heard it buys me some weeks? Cheers

Edited by calif123
1 person likes this

If I were to bin them, do you folks have any good recommendation for something that can deliver in 2 months (around)? I spent so much time getting this setup in the current location I feel obligated to do at least 1 run with it. Cheers

I would continue with what you have and flip, you need to veg for 6-8 weeks anyway and that will be your time up.

1 person likes this

Even the quickest autos take nine or ten weeks minimum from seed, so there isn't time to start anew I'm afraid.

If you only started your photos two weeks ago, I'm afraid that it's too soon to flip them, and very few strains need less than 8 weeks flowering time anyway.  Could you veg them till you move, then take them with you in bin bags or something?  That would work in compost, but I'm not sure if it's practical in hydro.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, calif123 said:

My plan is a bit up in the air at the moment. What effect does doing it in hydro have? I've heard it buys me some weeks? Cheers

it doesn't work like that mate, i'm a dirt grower so i don't know much about hydro but from what iv read over the years it can make your plants grow quicker(as in bigger at a faster rate) but it doesn't finish them quicker or anything like that, if i gave you strain iv grew in compost that i know is a 9 week flowerer as a cutting it would still take 9 weeks to flower in a hydro setup....

1 hour ago, squirrel said:

Even the quickest autos take nine or ten weeks minimum from seed, so there isn't time to start anew I'm afraid.

If you only started your photos two weeks ago, I'm afraid that it's too soon to flip them, and very few strains need less than 8 weeks flowering time anyway.  Could you veg them till you move, then take them with you in bin bags or something?  That would work in compost, but I'm not sure if it's practical in hydro.

I've no idea mate, but the idea of moving 6 plants that have vegged for a few months a couple of hours down the road doesn't seem too practical. Would they survive?

41 minutes ago, craigfjyp said:

it doesn't work like that mate, i'm a dirt grower so i don't know much about hydro but from what iv read over the years it can make your plants grow quicker(as in bigger at a faster rate) but it doesn't finish them quicker or anything like that, if i gave you strain iv grew in compost that i know is a 9 week flowerer as a cutting it would still take 9 weeks to flower in a hydro setup....

This is my first grow so I don't know what I am talking about :) But if hydro makes a plant grow faster/bigger and the veg time is proportional to overall yield does it not logically follow that I can run hydro plants in veg for shorter times for the same yield as a non-hydro setup?

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, calif123 said:

This is my first grow so I don't know what I am talking about :) But if hydro makes a plant grow faster/bigger and the veg time is proportional to overall yield does it not logically follow that I can run hydro plants in veg for shorter times for the same yield as a non-hydro setup?

Yes mate in a word

If you wanted to veg to a certain size m say for a tent . Then you would reach that size quicker in hydro and be able to flip for flowering earlier. 

But flowering would still take the same time, you would just be getting more yield . 
zz

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, calif123 said:

we aren't talking about veg though mate but you are pretty much right,  you can switch to flower quicker with a hydro setup because the plants will be bigger but once you've switched it it will still take the same amount of time to flower if it were in compost....

you will need to decide if you want to switch to flower, veg until you move and take them with you or bin them now and start over when you've moved....

iv moved a couple of times with big vegging plants between houses but as i said earlier i'm a dirt grower, i have no idea if its possible with a hydro setup, if it is possible and you do veg them until you move they will be ready to switch as soon as you move in to the new house.

2 people like this

I've planned it out a bit more now that I realise time is of the essence. 

I need to give notice to move out at which point the landlord may have people round to view for next tenancy. I need to give that notice 66 days away and then I still have the house for another month. Then its pot luck whether I have to pack it all up in a hurry, depending on any viewers to the house. So I'm prepared to "push it" and with lady lucks help will make it to the end before I have to move. 

Working backwards from 66 days away, I should be starting an 8 week flower cycle next week! Nevermind the 10+ week super silver haze sativa! Oh no, this is going to be tight... I've ordered another 3 white widow and 3 northern lights. I hope to plant a couple more 8 week strains, so my total would be 9. Out of that, and based on nothing at all really, I'm hoping to get some reasonable quantity of yield to make it worth it, even if I have to chop early/borderline.

Unfortunately, (I think) my MH bulb has stopped working so I have then on a 600W HPS and 110W T5 as an emergency measure, whilst I sort out an MH bulb replacement. 

Given all the time urgency, and that I wont be vegging for long (if at all), I'm thinking to just keep them on HPS/T5 and then progress to just HPS instead of doing MH then HPS. First of all, does this matter do you think? If so, which is best (fastest) for growth?

Side question: According to the calendar (for the 8 week strains) I should start vegging them in 7 days time. I wonder if you could provide any guidance on the resultant outcome if in 7 days I start to (try to) flower plants that look like the photo below:

large.IMG_3900.JPGlarge.IMG_3896.JPG

Cheers fellas

I Admire your confidence.

Look if your gonna go for it and try and get some smoke then you can flower them from seed if you have to .

@vince noir rock n roll stardoes his room on 12/12 all the time I believe and pops seeds in to germ under 12/12.

You will still end up with some weed, that should be smokable. 

I would say drop out the t5 and just go with the 600w

Keep it high say 3ft from them while they are that small as you don't want to fry them. 

If you go 12/12 in a week or now, the plants will just veg a bit before they start flowering. They will end up probably single cola looking things maybe a foot or 2 tall. 

Its not ideal but it can be done . If you can give them 7 days of 20/4 or 24/0 , say switching the 600 off from 12 noon till 6pm but leaving the t5 on constant it will help them start to get going before you flip.

Good luck

zz

1 person likes this

In my experience if running 12/12 from seed they still take anything from 4-6 weeks to sexually mature before going into flower. So your 8 week is going to be more like 12/14 weeks.

Those are not going to be anywhere near harvestable in your time frame.

If you really have to grow something in that time get some autos. Diesel berry by advanced seeds is 56 days from germination. Pineapple express from fast buds is around the same & is as good as any photo period strain I've tried. Lower yield but from seed to bud in 56 days cannot be sniffed at.

5 people like this