Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KateAdam

LED Lights - feeling a bit lost

23 posts in this topic

Not sure why this posted twice, moderator - please feel free to remove one of these posts - thanks x

I want to try LEDs but I really dont know what I'm talking about with them.

I'm currently running 2x HPS lights at a total of 1000w in a 1.2m tent, I'm after a full spectrum LED which gives an equivalent output.

What's really confusing me is the power outputs dont seem to make sense in the same way they do with the HPS lights. For example, I'm reading through a review of various lights (link below), its talking about light coverage and power consumption and I dont know how to equate this to my needs.
Also on light coverage, is this an exact thing, could I for example run a light that is recommended for a coverage of 6.0x5.5 ft in my tent?

Then there is the whole question of spectrum, I'm guessing this is too much of a broad question to understand in a simple post :unsure:

Kate

xx

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I learned a lot here,

I found almost all the answers,and minimum B.S. on that site,

after literally years of internetting.

Can't copy links so hoping that works.

HTH

Edited by Owderb
Spam link removed
1 person likes this

@KateAdam

If your already using HPS and are making the jump to LED the only lights i can think of that you wont be pissed off with is Quantum boards. HLG is the name of the company i think.

Im using LEDs atm and im just waiting for my money situation to improve and i will be going CMH. Have you looked into CMH lighting?

Atb

JJ

4 people like this

Kate one thing I noticed with a led light the cooling fans do hum quite loud, more than my outtake fan.

26 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Im using LEDs atm and im just waiting for my money situation to improve and i will be going CMH. Have you looked into CMH lighting?

Atb

JJ

Are you stuck in reverse mate lol

3 people like this

as mentioned if your going to buy a led light, then get the samsung quantum boards there full spectrum, and give off the most light for there watts. 

you can get led strips to make your own panels to what ever size you want. but id say the quantum boards are the dogs danglers of led lights out at the min. :yinyang:

all the best with your search. s1:smokin:

4 people like this

Just beware of fake quantums. Go direct.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

The Samsung F series LED’s are very popular at the moment & for good reason. They are one of the most efficient light sources available. DIY is your best bet but obviously involves you being a bit DIY savvy which I not everyone’s cup of tea. There is a UK website that now sells DIY kits & will also build to order. I have not tried them but they have paid to be a sponsor on another well know grow forum which they post on frequently so they appear to be on the level. If you google search something like Samsung diy light kits uk you’ll probably find them quite easily.

I build my own & yeah it is a pain in the arse but it’s

A: a lot cheaper

B: the light is a custom fit for my grow space which is a huge benefit

If you want something off the shelf ready to go then Quantum boards are you’re best bet.

Edited by kushedy
4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much people for all your help, the general consensus seems to be Quantum boards, is that any or specifically the Samsung ones? I would love to be able to build my own but I'm really not that technological and would forever be paranoid I had done something wrong and be constantly worried about fire. Off the shelf is definitely going to be the way to go for me.

How does the wattage of them work by contrast to traditional lighting?

Kate xx

Edited by KateAdam

When you compare, compare the actual current drawn rather than the big number! 

1 person likes this

Oh and I'm a fan of the little Viparspecta I've got. Have you looked at CMH lighting? Two 315w are a reasonable substitute for 1kw of HPS

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, KateAdam said:

Thank you so much people for all your help, the general consensus seems to be Quantum boards, is that any or specifically the Samsung ones? I would love to be able to build my own but I'm really not that technological and would forever be paranoid I had done something wrong and be constantly worried about fire. Off the shelf is definitely going to be the way to go for me.

How does the wattage of them work by contrast to traditional lighting?

Kate xx

As long as they are genuine quantum board from hlg direct or one of there disrubutors, you will do well

2 of the 260w kits will cover a 1.2x1.2m.

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, Key said:

@Key Fabulous - thank you my lovely, looking at HLG 260w on that site, they dont have fans, dont they need any or do you use clip fans the same way as with HPS?

Crudely speaking then, 1w of LED light is equivalent to 2w of HPS light?

I'll do some looking around later on when I get back from work but I dont suppose anyone knows of a good grow report where someone has used these?

xx

Edited by KateAdam

9 hours ago, Muppet said:

When you compare, compare the actual current drawn rather than the big number! 

What is the big number @Muppet? xx

@KateAdam They don't need fans.It's hard to compare watts but 2 of the 265w kits will cover a 1.2m perfectly. 

There's hundreds of dairys for these board but check out @tokenroll dairy.

Muppet is on about blurples. I wouldn't entertain that crap as it's no more efficient than hps. (no offence intended muppet each to their own like) 

1 person likes this